The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-07-2015, 07:32 AM

Haha awesome. Heard the sound clips of one of the 10 on a website, sublime. Don't forgo the LS top at account of me! It would be quite nice to have a sibling for my guitar haha of course, nothing wrong with a nice piece of master grade moon spruce
Old 02-07-2015, 11:13 AM

Really nice back and sides Marcus! Congratulations!

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 02-07-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftz07 View Post
Really nice back and sides Marcus! Congratulations!
Thanks! You're welcome to drop by and play it if you want
Old 02-11-2015, 09:07 AM

This must be Joel's idea of a joke. All he sent me was a picture of the Lucky Strike getting shaved! D: Haha he is currently preoccupied with a couple of builds (one of which is dreamincolor's I suspect) which he is finishing up. He has sent me a few more updated photos but were taken on his mobile so we will have to wait till his next update with his DSLR!

AFAIK, he has finished work on the back strip inlay along with the end wedge inlay, so I think we will get to see them these weekend! I can't wait

Last edited by Marcus Wong; 02-11-2015 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-17-2015, 06:50 AM

It has been an extremely long 2 weeks and I have finally gotten the next set of photo updates!

The book matched top and back plates are joined together. Despite being a simple looking task, it is extremely important to get it right. You would want a perfectly tight joint between the two halves. Joel does something called candling where he holds the joint together facing a light or window, and when no light passes through anywhere along the joint, he is good to go.

Work on the back strip inlay made of Wenge and Burl begins. A bunch of various samples are prepped which can be worked into the finish product

The separations are all in Maple. Notice how the Wenge grain switches direction, adding a small amount of depth and texture to end result

The inlay is almost complete! This inlay is trickier than his usual shattered glass inlay as the parallel lines have to be maintained otherwise it would look messy and amateurish

Voila! The finished emblem framed in Maple/Ebony. I'm LOVING it!

This here is the centre back strip being glued up. This photo is somehow extremely satisfying to behold :P

The back strip and centre emblem resting on "The Tree"

Old 02-17-2015, 07:08 AM

The channel is then routed to accept the centre strip

This is a little trick Joel learnt from carpentry. Basically, he makes the inlay a touch longer than the routed channel causing the strip to bow slightly as seen in the picture. All he has to do then I push down on the bow and the inlay will fit snugly into routed channel! Sounds like sorcery to me

All glued in and cleaned up! Joel was tempted to leave it as it is - clean and simple, but he knows I like something a little bit more special, hence the emblem inlay. WOW, look at that figure pop under the finish, simply stunning!

The second channel for the emblem is routed

Aaaaand.... TADAH! The finished back! I couldn't be any happier with the outcome The only qualm I have with it is how he didn't add the finish over the main inlay! D:

And to make matters worse, Joel sent me this photo saying "I have some bad news, it looks like the back is just a bit narrow for my OM-R templates.... don't worry I will add 'wings' on to the lower bout and all will be fine " which undoubtedly sent me into panicked frenzy before I realised he had just rotated "The Tree" back 180 degrees. PHEW!

Old 02-17-2015, 07:22 AM

Seeing the inlay come to life starting from the raw materials really brings a whole new level of appreciation for a luthier's skills. The amount of patience, artistic vision, dexterity and determination required to perform such a seemingly small task is enormous!
Old 02-17-2015, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post

And to make matters worse, Joel sent me this photo saying "I have some bad news, it looks like the back is just a bit narrow for my OM-R templates.... don't worry I will add 'wings' on to the lower bout and all will be fine " which undoubtedly sent me into panicked frenzy before I realised he had just rotated "The Tree" back 180 degrees. PHEW!

A cruel joke...which doesn't seem to "fit a pattern".

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 02-17-2015, 09:26 AM

Hahaha! You cannot imagine. I could not believe what I had just read. Cruel indeed! I wouldn't recommend Joel to the faint of heart :P
Old 02-24-2015, 09:33 PM

Sadly no Memphis build for me...I have to keep my Tree in the US and actually need to buy more of it so dollars are just not there.

It has gotten stupid even with paperwork to export 60 year old Mahogany and I don't want to go to jail or lose rare and expensive wood in an an argument with people that don't care. To much discretion at different ports of entry to question, hold or keep items even what is obviously a pre manufactured guitar kit with a pre-CITIES paper trail! Even with paperwork you can be doomed.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:50 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post

HA! What a great joke! I know it's been said before but this is going to be one seriously fine looking guitar and Joel is doing a great job with this precious wood.

JR
Old 02-24-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
HA! What a great joke! I know it's been said before but this is going to be one seriously fine looking guitar and Joel is doing a great job with this precious wood.

JR
I thought it was funny. But I'm a sick dude.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:58 AM

Default Memphis Build Thread - Michaud OM-R Lucky Strike/"The Tree"

Joel is building my guitar later this year, glad I know about that one. I'd probably have a heart attack.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Sadly no Memphis build for me...I have to keep my Tree in the US and actually need to buy more of it so dollars are just not there.

It has gotten stupid even with paperwork to export 60 year old Mahogany and I don't want to go to jail or lose rare and expensive wood in an an argument with people that don't care. To much discretion at different ports of entry to question, hold or keep items even what is obviously a pre manufactured guitar kit with a pre-CITIES paper trail! Even with paperwork you can be doomed.
That sounds like real pain in the behind Jay. I hope that matters don't get out of hand and best of luck with your new acquisitions
Old 02-25-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post

JR
It sure is starting to look that way! if I'm not mistaken, it is Joel's first time working with "The Tree" and we are both extremely excited to see how it turns out

Your build seems to be coming around splendidly as well JR. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
I thought it was funny. But I'm a sick dude.
Guess that makes the three of us

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
fanned fret, joel michaud, lucky strike, manzer wedge, the tree