The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 05-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Bevelsnob Bevelsnob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
Because he can only enjoy a guitar by having other people look at them??? Does that seem creepy to anyone else?
No. What is creepy are all the millions who can't go 5 minutes without checking their facebook and twitter accounts, then posting their banal drivel for the world to see.

Vomit factor=10

Love those custom builds! Keep sharing the pictures, please.
__________________
Scott
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Truman Truman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 522
Default

Bevelsnob, I hope you are left with a Ryan after those listed for sale go!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-05-2011, 06:20 AM
K III K III is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: at peace with myself
Posts: 1,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truman View Post
Bevelsnob, I hope you are left with a Ryan after those listed for sale go!
...or get an Olson
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-05-2011, 07:05 AM
Bevelsnob Bevelsnob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K III View Post
...or get an Olson
Almost ordered one in 1999. I called Jim and he sent me a brochure. I still have it today. The base price for an SJ seemed soooooo expensive to me then. Now it seems like a bargain:
http://bevelsnob.com/olsonpricelist.jpg

Since then I've had the chance to get to know Jim a little. Wonderful man, and excellent guitars. I'd like a braz/euro spruce SJ with no cutaway, please.
__________________
Scott
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-05-2011, 07:12 AM
K III K III is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: at peace with myself
Posts: 1,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelsnob View Post
Almost ordered one in 1999. I called Jim and he sent me a brochure. I still have it today. The base price for an SJ seemed soooooo expensive to me then. Now it seems like a bargain:
http://bevelsnob.com/olsonpricelist.jpg

Since then I've had the chance to get to know Jim a little. Wonderful man, and excellent guitars. I'd like a braz/euro spruce SJ with no cutaway, please.
Never look back, but it is actually pretty cool that you still have the price list. And some things have even become cheaper: The cutaway is for free, the doves...

On your choice: You should absolutely get a cedar, it is amazing what Jim does with it.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-05-2011, 10:59 AM
jonathanvaljean jonathanvaljean is offline
Tone Chaser
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia
Posts: 1,159
Default

FromDreams,

I know that I am a bit late to the party, but I just want to say that the Brazilian back that says "39 UP" (pictured on page 1) is absolutely gorgeous! Brazilian with that type of figuring is my favorite, by far!

Congratulations on your builds. They look fantastic, and, with Jim's reputation, it is assured that they will all have exceptional tone to boot.
__________________
David Taylor (DT Guitars)
Brescia - Amazon RW/Carpathian Spruce (2007)
De la Rosa - African Blackwood/Swiss Moon Spruce (2011)
De la Rosa - Brazilian RW/Swiss Moon Spruce (Coming April 2012)

Maingard
Grand Concert - Brazilian RW/German Spruce (2005)

Tippin
OMT - EIR/European Spruce (2000) (Voicing updated 2006)
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-05-2011, 12:33 PM
K III K III is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: at peace with myself
Posts: 1,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanvaljean View Post
FromDreams,

I know that I am a bit late to the party, but I just want to say that the Brazilian back that says "39 UP" (pictured on page 1) is absolutely gorgeous! Brazilian with that type of figuring is my favorite, by far!

Congratulations on your builds. They look fantastic, and, with Jim's reputation, it is assured that they will all have exceptional tone to boot.

FromDream's friend K***h aka C*******g will like that because what happened is that some collector wanted his coveted #1301 SJ, and so he decided to go for another build with Jim, and this set of back/sides looks almost the same as his dread #1325. Maybe it is even a sister side.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-05-2011, 01:04 PM
jonathanvaljean jonathanvaljean is offline
Tone Chaser
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia
Posts: 1,159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelsnob View Post
Love those custom builds! Keep sharing the pictures, please.
Ditto, Scott!
__________________
David Taylor (DT Guitars)
Brescia - Amazon RW/Carpathian Spruce (2007)
De la Rosa - African Blackwood/Swiss Moon Spruce (2011)
De la Rosa - Brazilian RW/Swiss Moon Spruce (Coming April 2012)

Maingard
Grand Concert - Brazilian RW/German Spruce (2005)

Tippin
OMT - EIR/European Spruce (2000) (Voicing updated 2006)
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-06-2011, 11:13 AM
pitner pitner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 1,735
Default

I remember many years ago seeing Phil Keaggy play his first Olson SJ. We were back stage with him and he asked if I wanted to play it. I did touch it but didn't play in front of Phil due to my lack of talent ha ha. I still have the strings Phil took off the SJ before the concert framed with a poster of PK holding that SJ. I looked at having Jim build me a SJ back then it was like 3K or about that. Just didn't have the $$$$ to do it. Finally got one last year. I bought a dead mint used cedar over IRW SJ for going rate on an Olson. Great guitar and I am certainly not worthy to own.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Billy Boy Billy Boy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,988
Default

I don't really know what happened to Keith, but I loved to see his build threads...if these are his, then he really has some kewl ones going again...looking to see this thread develop more, regardless of who the lucky person is...love Olson guitars...
__________________
Price is what you pay. Value is what you get. Warren Buffett
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 05-09-2011, 01:49 PM
asg420 asg420 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Anyone know how far along James is with his current build? I have a Braz SJ and a Koa/Spruce Dread being built at present.

I dont want to pester Jim with questions and requests for pictures -

Does anyone have any updates on this build? Any group build shots??

Should I just send an email and ask for some type of update? I hate bothering the man, no matter how nice and cordial he is....

Can't wait!

best,

asg
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-09-2011, 05:12 PM
mesa mesa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asg420 View Post
Anyone know how far along James is with his current build? I have a Braz SJ and a Koa/Spruce Dread being built at present.

I dont want to pester Jim with questions and requests for pictures -

Does anyone have any updates on this build? Any group build shots??

Should I just send an email and ask for some type of update? I hate bothering the man, no matter how nice and cordial he is....

Can't wait!

best,

asg
20-30k in guitars being built and your worried about bothering Jim Olson by asking for some pic's/update on your guitars?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-09-2011, 06:32 PM
jperryrocks jperryrocks is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 748
Default

Jim doesn't charge for cutways, abalone top inlays, etc. He will accommodate most reasonable requests at the same price.

So while his price has gone up quite a bit, it's not outrageous for a builders price to double in 10 years time when you take all that into fact.

I'm often amazed at how many people have 2-3 Olson guitars on order at the same time from Jim.

At that price point, his repeat business can't seemed to be matched.
__________________
25th anniversary Seagull
Larrivee L 12 string
Dehradun redwood/rosewood
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:13 AM
K III K III is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: at peace with myself
Posts: 1,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
Jim doesn't charge for cutways, abalone top inlays, etc. He will accommodate most reasonable requests at the same price.

So while his price has gone up quite a bit, it's not outrageous for a builders price to double in 10 years time when you take all that into fact.

I'm often amazed at how many people have 2-3 Olson guitars on order at the same time from Jim.

At that price point, his repeat business can't seemed to be matched.
True, and absolutely amazing: When I was deciding on my Olson build, I spoke and e-mailed with about 6 or 7 Olson owners, and Larry (ljguitar) was the only one who owned only one, all others either two or even more.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-10-2011, 08:20 AM
songsender's Avatar
songsender songsender is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 894
Default

The story on this order goes like this (from Keith himself)

1 of the guitars was ordered for a friend
1 of the guitars was ordered to replace one he recently sold
1 of the guitar is a new acquisition.

So, by his account he is only adding one guitar to his stable.

Still.... all three are going to be amazing. Wish I was in the room when all the cases were opened.
__________________
Paul Burner
BURNER GUITARS
THE WHEEZETONES BAND


Building one-off acoustic guitars since 2008
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=