The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-11-2019, 04:53 PM

Default Finish issues on a vintage guitar

I recently got an old mahogany guitar for a crazy nice deal, but part of that deal was predicated on the two issues with the guitar: the bridge was either replaced or reglued (it looks relatively original), and the finish has some issues.
Given that it's structurally sound, I had no problem with buying the guitar; I'm more of a player than a collector. Nonetheless, I would like to restore it back to a more charming state, but I'm not sure what that all entails.

There are essentially three problems with it:
  • There's a light overspray that's a bit uneven looks cloudy in spots.
  • The area around the bridge shows some light cross-grain sanding that is really apparent at certain angles. (Seriously, what a weird, rookie movie to be able to reglue the bridge but not know to sand the area properly.)
  • It's a little hard to tell because of the lacquer blushing, but it looks like the wood stain is faded on the upper bout on the low-E side of the guitar.

That said, what are my best options for restoration? I'm worried about sanding down any of the overspray because, even with that extra coat, the finish is real thin. I'd also like to get rid of the blotchy area where the stain seems to have faded. I'm assuming that there's no easy way of darkening it without stripping the nitro finish or adding a thin tinted overcoat, but I would like to keep the finish nice and thin.

I'll probably take it to a tech somewhere here in town, but I want to get an understanding of what needs to be done, first. (I've always felt like going to a tech without an understanding of the nuances of the job leaves a little too much room for interpretation.) Anyone have experiences with this kind of thing?

I'll post some pictures of it when I'm back in town tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:58 PM

Posting photos might help but I'd suggest you take it to someone who knows something about vintage guitars and finishes - at least if it has any value.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:01 AM

If someone already offer sprayed it then my guess is that would be considered refinish by collectors but I could be wrong. Typically you don't ever want to refinish vintage guitars or the value plummets.

What kind of guitar is it? Pics would also be very helpful.

The first thing you would want to do is determine what kind of finish it is.

I would heed the advice to take it to someone who knows.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:04 AM

Yeah, sorry about not having and images. I'll have pics up shortly.
It's an old Hoboken Guild M-20. So both the original finish and the overspray are both nitro.
Like I said, I knew of it ahead of time, and I got it because I'm going to use it for recording. I'm not a collector; a tool's a tool. A guitar that maintains "resale value," to me, is a guitar that went underplayed.
All I'm curious about is getting a feel for how much would be involved in the process of cleaning it up to get rid of the cloudy white blush from in the overspray and maybe add a little color back to the body.
It's going to need a neck reset and a new saddle, so when I take it in next week, I may as well go the whole nine yards on it if possible.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [J.K.] View Post
A guitar that maintains "resale value," to me, is a guitar that went underplayed.
Well, that depends. Willie NElson's 'Trigger' is gonna command a very high price some day but if you filled that hole in you would ruin it

That might be an extreme example but collectors like patina, they call it mojo.

Why not just leave it the way it is then? IF all you are doing is recording who cares what it looks like? If it sounds good and the action is set up the way you like it then rock on.

You'll save a few bucks too
Old 03-12-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Why not just leave it the way it is then? IF all you are doing is recording who cares what it looks like? If it sounds good and the action is set up the way you like it then rock on.
That's why I created a thread to ask about it. To hear other peoples' experiences and see what my options are.

Maybe I'll leave it as-is, maybe I won't. I have plenty of guitars that are battered from punk shows, but this is a guitar that I'd like to clean up a little if I can. It's going to be getting a lot of work done when I take it in anyway, and if it would be possible drop a little extra into it to at least get the soundboard looking nice again, why not?
Old 03-12-2019, 10:33 AM

Not having seen your guitar I'm reticent to say anything with confidence, but rubbing out the overspray and re-buffing is quick and easy for someone who knows about such things.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:33 AM

My thoughts are in the other forum you asked in...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair