The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 01-15-2019, 05:43 PM
MarkF_48 MarkF_48 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 249
Default

If selling online an acoustic guitar packed in a fairly large box, how are you shipping it. For a large light weight box UPS seems to be going by a 'Dimensional Weight', which for me to ship from the East coast (US) to somewhere in the middle of the US is about $85 via Ground . More to the West coast. USPS is a bit less, but not by much. Difficult for a buyer or seller to absorb that kind of cost for a $400-500 guitar.
I've used Craigslist years ago, but not really wanting the type of people out there now coming to my house.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-15-2019, 06:30 PM
Willie Voltaire Willie Voltaire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 5,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
For a large light weight box UPS seems to be going by a 'Dimensional Weight', which for me to ship from the East coast (US) to somewhere in the middle of the US is about $85 via Ground.
$85 is fairly typical, but I signed up for eBay's UPS discount, and it's a lot closer to $45 or $50. That helps offset the eBay and PayPal fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
I've used Craigslist years ago, but not really wanting the type of people out there now coming to my house.
I have never done a CL deal at my own home.
__________________
Gibson LG2 AE, Waterloo WL12, National M2
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-15-2019, 06:38 PM
Dino Silone Dino Silone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Northern New Jersey, NYC Metro Area
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryc-k View Post
Many conservatories have pre-college divisions, and this includes Juilliard, Manhattan School of Music, and Mannes. You might give them a call and see if there is any interest from either the program or if they have students who might be interested.

Thereís not a huge market for violas, but even a store that does student rentals might be interested.
Great suggestions, thanks! Iím sorry to hear that thereís not much market for violas... Itís a nice instrument, and sounds really wonderful with a good bow. If all else fails, maybe Iíll just let it go to a student who really needs it for very cheap. The instrument should be played, and I canít do it justice right now. But Iíll try to sell it first.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-15-2019, 06:49 PM
Gabby84's Avatar
Gabby84 Gabby84 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: New England
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Silone View Post
Me too, though I played much more violin. It gets an undeserved bad rap, maybe because its cousins are flashier. But thereís nothing else like that sound.

I only got to play the viola for a short time, and only played one real concert when orthopedic issues (cervical stenosis and arthritis) made it pretty much impossible to even hold a viola or violin. Physical therapy helped a lot, but Iíve lost so much ground on both violin and viola that itís just frustrating to pick it up nowadays. Thankfully, I can still play guitar and am learning banjo.

Youíre almost making me want to keep it... But... thereís that guitar waiting for me to buy it. (Little voice in my head saying, ďWould it really be so bad to have both?Ē Bad voice! Bad, bad voice!!!
I played viola for 8 years, I was drawn to its sound in elementary school.

I'm sticking with guitar, even when the little voice tries to convince me to take up viola again.

Frankly, six strings and being able to play a song without accompaniment is so nice.
__________________
2018 Guild M 20
2019 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
2019 Fender Player Strat w/pau ferro fingerboard
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-15-2019, 06:50 PM
Dino Silone Dino Silone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Northern New Jersey, NYC Metro Area
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
If selling online an acoustic guitar packed in a fairly large box, how are you shipping it. For a large light weight box UPS seems to be going by a 'Dimensional Weight', which for me to ship from the East coast (US) to somewhere in the middle of the US is about $85 via Ground . More to the West coast. USPS is a bit less, but not by much. Difficult for a buyer or seller to absorb that kind of cost for a $400-500 guitar.
I've used Craigslist years ago, but not really wanting the type of people out there now coming to my house.
I keep hearing that about Craigslist. Iíve bought a bunch of stuff on Craigslist over the years, most recently a guitar a couple of weeks ago. The seller said sheíd be willing to meet within 15 minutes of where she lived, but then offered to knock $25 off the price if I would be willing to go to her home. Of course, I had no problem going to her house - that was my preference anyway, since I could sit down and play the guitar for a while before deciding to buy it (which I did). Iíve only once had someone insist on meeting in a parking lot, and that was for a bicycle.

What makes the type of people out there now so different from the type of people out there before?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-15-2019, 06:57 PM
Dino Silone Dino Silone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Northern New Jersey, NYC Metro Area
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby84 View Post
I played viola for 8 years, I was drawn to its sound in elementary school.

I'm sticking with guitar, even when the little voice tries to convince me to take up viola again.

Frankly, six strings and being able to play a song without accompaniment is so nice.
Totally agree. But itís not really either-or. No reason to not do both. I hear you about accompaniment - I started out as a piano player, and the style of guitar playing I gravitate towards most strongly is very pianistic, e.g. Piedmont blues, whatever youíd call Mississippi John Hurtís style, ... anything where youíre playing bass, some rhythm and melody at the same time. I did discover that an acoustic guitar is a lot easier to carry around than a piano...
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=