The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 06:43 PM

If selling online an acoustic guitar packed in a fairly large box, how are you shipping it. For a large light weight box UPS seems to be going by a 'Dimensional Weight', which for me to ship from the East coast (US) to somewhere in the middle of the US is about $85 via Ground . More to the West coast. USPS is a bit less, but not by much. Difficult for a buyer or seller to absorb that kind of cost for a $400-500 guitar.
I've used Craigslist years ago, but not really wanting the type of people out there now coming to my house.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:30 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
For a large light weight box UPS seems to be going by a 'Dimensional Weight', which for me to ship from the East coast (US) to somewhere in the middle of the US is about $85 via Ground.
$85 is fairly typical, but I signed up for eBay's UPS discount, and it's a lot closer to $45 or $50. That helps offset the eBay and PayPal fees.

Quote:
I've used Craigslist years ago, but not really wanting the type of people out there now coming to my house.
I have never done a CL deal at my own home.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryc-k View Post
Many conservatories have pre-college divisions, and this includes Juilliard, Manhattan School of Music, and Mannes. You might give them a call and see if there is any interest from either the program or if they have students who might be interested.

There’s not a huge market for violas, but even a store that does student rentals might be interested.
Great suggestions, thanks! I’m sorry to hear that there’s not much market for violas... It’s a nice instrument, and sounds really wonderful with a good bow. If all else fails, maybe I’ll just let it go to a student who really needs it for very cheap. The instrument should be played, and I can’t do it justice right now. But I’ll try to sell it first.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Silone View Post
Me too, though I played much more violin. It gets an undeserved bad rap, maybe because its cousins are flashier. But there’s nothing else like that sound.

I only got to play the viola for a short time, and only played one real concert when orthopedic issues (cervical stenosis and arthritis) made it pretty much impossible to even hold a viola or violin. Physical therapy helped a lot, but I’ve lost so much ground on both violin and viola that it’s just frustrating to pick it up nowadays. Thankfully, I can still play guitar and am learning banjo.

You’re almost making me want to keep it... But... there’s that guitar waiting for me to buy it. (Little voice in my head saying, “Would it really be so bad to have both?” Bad voice! Bad, bad voice!!!
I played viola for 8 years, I was drawn to its sound in elementary school.

I'm sticking with guitar, even when the little voice tries to convince me to take up viola again.

Frankly, six strings and being able to play a song without accompaniment is so nice.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
If selling online an acoustic guitar packed in a fairly large box, how are you shipping it. For a large light weight box UPS seems to be going by a 'Dimensional Weight', which for me to ship from the East coast (US) to somewhere in the middle of the US is about $85 via Ground . More to the West coast. USPS is a bit less, but not by much. Difficult for a buyer or seller to absorb that kind of cost for a $400-500 guitar.
I keep hearing that about Craigslist. I’ve bought a bunch of stuff on Craigslist over the years, most recently a guitar a couple of weeks ago. The seller said she’d be willing to meet within 15 minutes of where she lived, but then offered to knock $25 off the price if I would be willing to go to her home. Of course, I had no problem going to her house - that was my preference anyway, since I could sit down and play the guitar for a while before deciding to buy it (which I did). I’ve only once had someone insist on meeting in a parking lot, and that was for a bicycle.

What makes the type of people out there now so different from the type of people out there before?
Old 01-15-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby84 View Post
I played viola for 8 years, I was drawn to its sound in elementary school.

I'm sticking with guitar, even when the little voice tries to convince me to take up viola again.

Frankly, six strings and being able to play a song without accompaniment is so nice.
Totally agree. But it’s not really either-or. No reason to not do both. I hear you about accompaniment - I started out as a piano player, and the style of guitar playing I gravitate towards most strongly is very pianistic, e.g. Piedmont blues, whatever you’d call Mississippi John Hurt’s style, ... anything where you’re playing bass, some rhythm and melody at the same time. I did discover that an acoustic guitar is a lot easier to carry around than a piano...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion