The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-12-2024, 05:38 PM

Default Gibson L-OO not happy

I bought this guitar about a year ago and just can't bond with it. I've had Techs do work on it ,but I still have problems keeping it in tune, besides that ,I just am not crazy about the sound. Guess I'm a Martin guy.I want to trade it at GC or Sam Ash for something I can use to play out with. I know I 'll get beat up on the trade but I don't like dealing with Craigslist or online stuff anymore. Any of you guys have the same feeling? Thanks
Old 03-12-2024, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

im playing my gibson right now. its lovely. whats wrong with yours?

what year and model is it?
Old 03-12-2024, 05:49 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Change the tuners out to 21:1 (I think Gibsons come with 18:1) and see what happens. I think if you trade in, instead of selling, you do a little better with the big box stores.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-12-2024, 06:01 PM

Well I did change the tuners ;the first one s,Butterbean ,the low E[tuner] broke .Gibson sent me a new set. I put a new set on. Still won't stay in tune. My tech installed Grovers . Just doesn't stay in tune . At gigs ; it is even worse.The guys I play with are telling me to just bring the Martin OM28 .
Old 03-12-2024, 06:10 PM

With a trade you’re going to take a bath. Find a buyer with more sympathetic ears.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

I had an L-00 for a while and loved it. Only sold it cause I had a 00-18 and other smaller body guitars at the same time. The L-00 was as good as any of them but it definitely has its own sound. You could play bluegrass on a 00-18 while probably not on a L-00.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I bought this guitar about a year ago and just can't bond with it. I've had Techs do work on it ,but I still have problems keeping it in tune, besides that ,I just am not crazy about the sound. Guess I'm a Martin guy.I want to trade it at GC or Sam Ash for something I can use to play out with. I know I 'll get beat up on the trade but I don't like dealing with Craigslist or online stuff anymore. Any of you guys have the same feeling? Thanks
Take your lumps and move on. But a good L-00 is something else. Don’t assume you’re a Martin guy just yet.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:37 PM

Yeah I hear ya ! I'm just kind of angry now ,you know how it goes I'll probably love it tommorow. It is a good guitar , just having isuues with buzzing [it is humidified ] and tuning it every minute . I am NOT a tech by any means , and I screw it up if I mess with it.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Have someone play it in front of you. A good player. Perhaps you have already done this, I don’t know.

I personally love the sound of a good L-00, but I’m not you, and only you know what you like.

If you have someone play it in front of you and you still do not care much for the sound, part with it. If you change your mind and decide you like it, find the right tuners or set up and get it right. It should not be going out of tune so frequently. Something is not right.

If you do part with the L-00 and go with another, for that style of guitar in the same price range, I would consider a Waterloo.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah I hear ya ! I'm just kind of angry now ,you know how it goes I'll probably love it tommorow. It is a good guitar , just having isuues with buzzing [it is humidified ] and tuning it every minute . I am NOT a tech by any means , and I screw it up if I mess with it.
A couple of things to try before you throw out the bath....there should not be tuning problems after changing them, probably the nut slots or bridge plate are needing help.

Check string ends are up tight against the bridge plate - give the strings each a real yank like about to shoot an arrow. Look at bridge plate with mirror/ phone? to check all is well.

Get a very thin nail file or sandpaper and lift strings at the nut one at a time, go ...ehhh, ehhh gently up and back with thin file careful not to touch the level....may be burrs from the strings. Get a lead pencil and lubricate al the nut slots, even some on the saddle, check for burrs on the saddle....

BluesKing777.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:24 PM

Does it have a pickup? Is it undersaddle? I had a Gibson with an undersaddle LR Baggs, and it buzzed like a mofo, I removed the electronics and no more buzz. It was the undersaddle pickup, specifically. Also, sometimes you just don't love the sound of a guitar, it happens. If you can fix the buzz, then give it some time, your ears may 'open up' so to speak, to its timbre.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass

Last edited by Moldstar; 03-12-2024 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Yep. If it’s beyond your tinkering ability you need to either get a pro set up, live with it or replace it and hope the next one is ok. Personally I’d get a set up. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:25 PM

I am a long time rosewood Martin fan and owner, but I found that a mahogany guitar is a whole different animal for accompanying singing and I now have a Gibson too. All guitars are individuals and if it has annoying problems like tuning or buzzing, these can almost always be addressed by a good tech in a setup. It is a good idea to listen to somebody else play it too.

Sometimes the marriage just doesn't work out and its time to get another guitar, but a good Gibson is a fine guitar.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 03-12-2024, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Well I did change the tuners ;the first one s,Butterbean ,the low E[tuner] broke .Gibson sent me a new set. I put a new set on. Still won't stay in tune. My tech installed Grovers . Just doesn't stay in tune . At gigs ; it is even worse.The guys I play with are telling me to just bring the Martin OM28 .
Come somebody who knows more about guitars than I do (there must be a few out there ) explain to me how this is even possible? On (what is presumably) a decent quality guitar, not an Esteban or a 2525 EZ Play.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:12 PM

For the last hour I am watching videos . I did some adjustments myself and it is a lot worse!! It is buzzing so bad my wife even noticed! That is saying something. I put a straight edge on the fretboard and no matter what I do ;itdoesn't move . The straight edge hits on the frets at the first and then down towards the 15th fret.... this is probably the wrong place for this discussion ,sorry. I 'm just gonna take it to a tech.pick up wise ;it has a k&k mini .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion