The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2024, 06:57 PM

Default Help me find my dream guitar?

tl;dr: Wanting to upgrade to a new or used guitar in the $2000-4000(ish) price range: short scale, 1.75" nut, D- or flat-C shaped neck, jumbo-esque body. Bonus points for a cutaway and no built-in electronics.
Need help finding guitars with those specs so I can keep my eye out for 'em.

The good news: I've graduated from my first guitars, a Seagull S6 and a Martin DJr-10. After playing a few guitars in the $2000-4000 range, I'm ready to take the plunge for better sound.

The bad news: I live in the sticks, and the closest store where I could actually try a lot of different guitars is about 5 hours away. And I'm not thrilled about mail ordering something like this. I'd want to play it first.

I'd like to narrow down my idea of what I'm looking for, so that I can jump on any opportunities that might crop up close to me.

New, used, doesn't matter. I just want a guitar that feels good and sounds good.

My ideal specs are a bit weird, though, so that's where I need your help.

I love the shorter scale on my Martin and Seagull (24" & 24.75"). 25.5" scale guitars are generally difficult for me to play.

I also like a wider nut (1.75") and a D shaped or flattish C neck. Again, both my Martin and Seagull are perfect in this regard.

Here's where I get weird: I love curvy, ginormous bodied guitars. FAT BOTTOMED GUITARS! I once had a Seagull Mini Jumbo that I really liked the body on (16" lower bout width), but the neck was too narrow.

I'd love a cutaway. And call me old school, but I really don't like built-in electronics.

If you have guessed that I have long arms, small hands, and like to play fingerstyle, you would be correct. However, that makes for a weirdish ideal guitar.

What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share!
Old 03-09-2024, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Since your wants and wishes are so specific I'd suggest that you brave the five hour trip and plan on spending the night near the guitar shop(s) to which you alluded. I don't see any way that a bunch of strangers can guess what's going to feel, sound and play like you want with any degree of accuracy. Good luck in your search...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-09-2024, 08:45 PM

Agree that you probably need to do the 5hr drive, but also in general short scale small jumbos are rare and you probably won't find one even if you do the drive.

Most are copies of the Gibson J-185 small jumbo (24.75" scale). I'd look to see if you can find one of those, or a short scale version of the Iris AB or Collings SJ or Bourgeois DBJ. You could also custom order a short scale (24.9") Martin J-40, which would be a great option.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:04 PM

I second the J-185. Small-ish jumbo body (16" lower bout) and a 24.75" scale.....kind of a pinched waist dreadnought. Bought this 2003 model sight-unseen and with some saddle & nut adjustments it's turned out to be an excellent player with that wonderful Gibson tone. No doubt buying online is often a roll of the dice but I'd guess there are more good stories than bad. There's no promise that a five hour drive would find you what you're looking for anyway.....right?

Old 03-10-2024, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

You can get guitars with those specs but you haven't said what kind of sound you want. But yeah, it looks like you are wanting a Gibson of some sort. But it will sound nothing like the ones you have. Maybe better, maybe worse. If I wasn't stuck on the martin sound I would have a J45 myself. Had one but I never bonded with it.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

What you're describing is a Gibson j-185, cutaway. It will have a 1.72 neck but it has the same spacing as most 1.75 nuts. They're not that hard to find. Give a call to the store 5 hours away and see if they have one.

I have a Martin J-40 and I think a short scale j-40 is a bad idea. Martin designs it the way they want and making a change like that is a shot in the dark that might not sound at all like what you want.

I'd start with the J-185 and see how you like it.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:09 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosebreath View Post

I'd like to narrow down my idea of what I'm looking for, so that I can jump on any opportunities that might crop up close to me.
Might want to add your general location - this is a VERY large forum - there may be someone near-ish to you with just the right guitar....never know.

Old 03-10-2024, 11:07 AM

Forgot to mention, the J-185 EC model has a cutaway and might match all of OPs required specs here. There have been several variations of it over the years and it's available new as well.
Old 03-10-2024, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Not sure why folks are suggesting Gibson when your stated preference is for a wider 1.75 nut.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-10-2024, 12:27 PM

Two words: Guitar Tourism!

There's no substitute for actually holding a guitar in your hands and playing it.

Good luck with your quest!

Scott
Old 03-10-2024, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Used Gibson J45 or Southern jumbo

Both custom shop
Old 03-10-2024, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Not sure why folks are suggesting Gibson when your stated preference is for a wider 1.75 nut.
AS Gibson is 1.72. Do you realize what 3/100 is? And it has the same string spacing as most 1.75 nuts

If you are stuck on 1.75, it will just takes some discipline to play a 1.69, but once you manage it you'll also play cleaner on your wide nut guitar.
Old 03-10-2024, 02:22 PM

Actually, the Gibson L4A is pretty much what you have described:

https://youtu.be/AAuA5SBQhu8?si=498Gb-PY-CRqqzXz

But for the electronics, I would suggest a Gibson G-200. That said, the electronics are minimal: An under saddle pickup and a volume control.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

I don't know where five hours will land you. If you can get to a major store like Elderly, The Music Emporium, Gruhn, or Gryphon, do it. A nice mom and pop, not so much, but there are bound to be worthy mom and pops out there. If you are going to spend $4k, you must at least have played a bunch of guitars to guide you.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-10-2024, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

@moosebreath - If you want a ginormous bodied guitar FAT BOTTOMED GUITAR with a 1 3/4” nut, short scale, 16” lower bout, and a C/D neck profile, a Smeck slope shoulder checks all those boxes.

There is an Iris Smeck for sale in the Classifieds. I don’t know the guitar, but seller is a good guy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
jumbo, short scale, wide nut