The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2023, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

87 does seem awfully warm for a basement.

But, from the standpoint of your guitars, it should be fine.

Per Frets.com, glue starts letting go at around 140, which can happen in a hot car: http://frets.com/FretsPages/Musician...eat/heat1.html

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 07-17-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
An AC unit will dehumidify before it actually cools, as it removes more humidity it starts to blow colder air (assuming you have high humidity). Am I getting things right, your dehumidifier is for 4500 sf? How big is your space? I have a dehumidifier going nonstop but it is a smaller one. I do like 40% but 50% is perfectly adequate and it should knockdown your temperature quite a bit.
Yes, I made the mistake of purchasing a dehumidifier for 4500 sq ft. My space is about 1200 sq ft. It only cost me $156 from amazon.

I would be willing to keep it, but the room gets so hot. But this might just be a result of me using it continuously instead of setting a timer on.
Old 07-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

87°F is not going to hurt a guitar.

I did once sustain damage to a guitar left in its case when that case was in a hallway with windows and which allowed the sun to heat up the guitar case. I don't know how hot it got inside the case, but the heat sort of melted the nitro-cellulose lacquer on the neck and made it all gooey. The heat also warped the neck. I had that guitar refretted and refinished after it was planed flat. It was an expensive fix, but it was a good guitar. a Guild G37.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitars, heat, humidity