The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-23-2021, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Good review, Aaron... fairly comprehensive, I'd say.

The one thing that seems frequently "dropped out" with each of the Dazzo "soundclips" I've heard is that (as Teddy said to me!) the Dazzo does not sound all that good when recorded "straight-in"; Teddy said that ANY decent mic will sound better than the Dazzo (or any pickup?)!

The place where the Dazzo really shines is that sound "in the air" through a PA or amp. We used my Bose L1 Model II as the "reference tone" when my Dazzos were installed, and to my ears it was the most genuine, lifelike sound I'd ever heard from a pickup - far eclipsing my experience with a K&K, the Anthem SL and certainly ANY UST pickup I've used...

So, don't be confused, folks; what you hear through a straight-into-audio-interface doesn't really come close to the sound of the Dazzo through your own PA... least ways, not with my PA and my Dazzo equipped guitar (either 6 or 12 string).
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-23-2021, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Good review, Aaron... fairly comprehensive, I'd say.

The one thing that seems frequently "dropped out" with each of the Dazzo "soundclips" I've heard is that (as Teddy said to me!) the Dazzo does not sound all that good when recorded "straight-in"; Teddy said that ANY decent mic will sound better than the Dazzo (or any pickup?)!

The place where the Dazzo really shines is that sound "in the air" through a PA or amp. We used my Bose L1 Model II as the "reference tone" when my Dazzos were installed, and to my ears it was the most genuine, lifelike sound I'd ever heard from a pickup - far eclipsing my experience with a K&K, the Anthem SL and certainly ANY UST pickup I've used...

So, don't be confused, folks; what you hear through a straight-into-audio-interface doesn't really come close to the sound of the Dazzo through your own PA... least ways, not with my PA and my Dazzo equipped guitar (either 6 or 12 string).
I hear that often but I just don’t agree. Sure a loud, noisy room with EQ and reverb will make these pickups sound different. As we have discussed before they also sound more direct than a microphone that can sound ‘distant’ and this is sometimes more desirable in a live situation. I still think a direct recording shows the character of a pickup. Like I say in the video I am not suggesting that these should sound like a microphone (that is what microphones and IR’s are for) but I still think they should sound ‘good’ in the sense of a pickup. After all we will be plugging them in direct at a gig…
Old 09-23-2021, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Nice review, Aaron
Old 09-23-2021, 04:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Aaron, thank you for sharing that video!

Here is the link to the MS-2 review where the Dazzo and sunnaudio mic with MS-2 add that lost air that we hear playing live or with a mic recording.

https://youtu.be/Svy9UOHYGT8
Old 09-23-2021, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnaudio View Post
Aaron, thank you for sharing that video!

Here is the link to the MS-2 review where the Dazzo and sunnaudio mic with MS-2 add that lost air that we hear playing live or with a mic recording.

https://youtu.be/Svy9UOHYGT8
Thanks! That is the K&K with the Sunnaudio mic.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Thanks! That is the K&K with the Sunnaudio mic.

Thank you Aaron - that's right, thank you for the correction!

I think it illustrates the point by adding a mic in there, especially going direct.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I hear that often but I just don’t agree. Sure a loud, noisy room with EQ and reverb will make these pickups sound different. As we have discussed before they also sound more direct than a microphone that can sound ‘distant’ and this is sometimes more desirable in a live situation. I still think a direct recording shows the character of a pickup. Like I say in the video I am not suggesting that these should sound like a microphone (that is what microphones and IR’s are for) but I still think they should sound ‘good’ in the sense of a pickup. After all we will be plugging them in direct at a gig…
Aaron, have you tried (or will you try) the Dazzo at a real live gig?
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 09-24-2021, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Aaron, have you tried (or will you try) the Dazzo at a real live gig?
Yes I will definitely do that.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Aaron, Thanks for your Dazzo review! It sounds good but like pickups in general, it still sounds like a pickup. With the various pickups and preamps I've got in my guitars, along with having a ToneDexter and Fishman Aura Spectrum to play with, and until a truly revolutionary pickup/preamp system comes along, I'm pretty happy with the systems I've currently got in my guitars. I've now migrated to going down the electric guitar and amp rabbit hole!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
dazzo