The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2021, 02:46 PM

Default Anyone else felt that they needed a degree in computer science to operate ...

... a multi-effects pedal?!

I blew the dust off my old Zoom A2 acoustic multi-effects processor this afternoon with the heroic intention of actually reading the instructions manual. When I bought it back around 2007-8, I never really did - I just ran through the presets for interesting noises and left it at that. This afternoon, I sat down and attempted to explore its possibilities. I'm barely more informed now than when I started!

What is it with these gadgets and their instructions manuals? I've wondered if the problem is that they're written by screen-addled technicians who wouldn't recognize a beautiful lyrical passage even if they were actually relieving themselves on one! Well, that's my excuse anyway ... But I wish they would write the manuals as if they were addressing non-technical people, language like, 'If you want some echo delay, first press this, then press this, then press that. You can adjust the number of repeats by turning this, and you can adjust the volume by turning this. But they never do. They get lost in opaque jargon about banks and modules and modes and shifts and parameters and patch management.

Honorary mention here must also go to the Boss GP-10 processor, which arguably has the most horribly impenetrable instructions I've ever encountered! I mean, come on guys! One of the first rules of good writing is to know your audience and speak to them in a language they understand.

Anyone else floundered like I have, or are AGFers all cool guys who breeze through this kind of stuff with infuriating competence?
Old 09-19-2021, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Well, I have that degree but still have to read the manual for my GT-1000 Core.

Tony
Old 09-19-2021, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

I've found that the easiest ones to operate were the more recent Zoom ones - G3/n/5n. The acoustic A1Four was less intuitive, but more suited to acoustic, obviously. I found the Digitech RPs and the Boss GT-1 not bad either. I now prefer the simplicity of a Loudbox Artist and a looper.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

I studied computer science back in the day of punch cards.
When it comes to gadgets and their learning curve, these days I skip the manual and go to YouTube. If it exists someone is on you tube showing you the "how-to". Some do it better then others.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-19-2021, 03:28 PM

I work in IT and I like pre-sets.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 09-19-2021, 03:45 PM

....I thought this would be a pedal-steel thread
Old 09-19-2021, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
....I thought this would be a pedal-steel thread
It is. Threads often wander off track.

Wait! What were we talking about again?

Tony
Old 09-19-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
... these days I skip the manual and go to YouTube. If it exists someone is on you tube showing you the "how-to". Some do it better then others.
I tried that for the Boss GP-10 a few years ago. There were lots of clips showing all the dazzling things that the GP-10 could do, but not a single one that actually showed which buttons needed clicking and turning to make them happen. I ended up trying to speak to a rep, and quickly learned they have zero inclination to speak to customers, who were expected to leave messages and wait for written answers. I persisted and eventually spoke to a disgruntled-sounding tech/sales/god-knows-what guy. Suffice to say he was the one who got dumped on and found himself having to speak me.

I found out that they will move heaven and earth to sell their stuff, paint it in all sorts of glorious colours, but once you buy, you have performed your function and are no longer interesting. After-sales service, in this case, was horrible.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:53 PM

The manuals have to be written by people who are or think they are also braniacs to justify working in tech. Just the way it is.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
... a multi-effects pedal?!

I blew the dust off my old Zoom A2 acoustic multi-effects processor this afternoon with the heroic intention of actually reading the instructions manual. When I bought it back around 2007-8, I never really did - I just ran through the presets for interesting noises and left it at that. This afternoon, I sat down and attempted to explore its possibilities. I'm barely more informed now than when I started!

What is it with these gadgets and their instructions manuals? I've wondered if the problem is that they're written by screen-addled technicians who wouldn't recognize a beautiful lyrical passage even if they were actually relieving themselves on one! Well, that's my excuse anyway ... But I wish they would write the manuals as if they were addressing non-technical people, language like, 'If you want some echo delay, first press this, then press this, then press that. You can adjust the number of repeats by turning this, and you can adjust the volume by turning this. But they never do. They get lost in opaque jargon about banks and modules and modes and shifts and parameters and patch management.
I feel your pain.

The first "multieffects pedal" I purchased was a Korg that had knobs to twist and a few "user presets" to select once you adjusted the reverb, EQ, chorus, and delay to taste. What a great concept!

My second multi-effects was a Digitech RP-200 that was much the same, but also allowed me to name the patches so I could simply select "TELE", "FIDDLE", "MANDO", etc. from the user presets.

There are a few of these being made now by different manufacturers, so I think they realize there are a few "older" users who like this sort of simplicity.

I just bought a new multi-track recorder, a Zoom Live Trak L8, that has a very minimal menu system, and that's just fine with me!
Old 09-19-2021, 07:51 PM

There are well written user manuals and badly written user manuals but I think I've spotted an emergent pattern, which is that devices that have been designed to solve/improve/make easier clearly defined and obviously apparent issues or desirable possibilities are often controlled by a well structured GUI and explained with a suitably coherent manual, usually not strictly necessary anyway as my natural curiosity will help me unravel it's mysteries without resorting to text.

Devices that have been thrown together "because we can" or following a "more is more" ethos often suffer in their intelligibility because there is no clear line of logic within the design process.

I used the Zoom A2 for a while and it was OK but, though I did explore it in some detail I never enjoyed the experience.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:17 PM

I have a BS in CS. I own that Zoom unit and have cursed its design team until I was blue in the face.

It's the bizarre reuse of buttons.

Honestly, I haven't messed with it in years, and just thinking about it is raising my blood pressure.

Good luck. If it suddenly becomes easy, or you have a "break through", please go get some help.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:30 PM

Right after I bought my Gretsch I bought a used Zoom 505 multiple effects pedal, thinking it would help me figure out what other pedals I might want to buy. Nope. Way too difficult to actually use. I ended up selling it for $5 less than I paid for it.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-19-2021, 08:46 PM

As an acoustic guitar player who wants something SIMPLE with no menus I'd probably go with a Zoom AC-3.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:47 PM

Like the OP. I have a Roland VG-99 I bought back in 2008. I still believe this thing is amazing, but everytime I turn it on, I get lost in hours of tweaking, button pushing, knob twisting and generally just farting around. I'm yet to actually use it for the reason I bought it. I thought I would use it as my go to unit for recording and it had all the bells and whistles to make any guitar sound I needed. It is fun to play with though.
Godin xtSa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification