The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-18-2021, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Default NAD: Fender '57 Custom Deluxe Handwired 1x12" 12-watt Tube Combo Amp

So, my initial audition sounds like my new Fender '57 Custom Deluxe Handwired 1x12" 12-watt Tube Combo Amp is a much louder- and fuller-sounding version of the Fender '57 Custom Champ Handwired that I got a month ago. The '57 Custom Deluxe responds well to my Gretsch 5420GT-59's Volume control. Depending on the guitar's volume-control position, it's possible to get clean tones at moderate listening volume along with wonderful grind at anything 4 and over on the amp's 0 to12 Instrument Volume dial. The '57 Custom Deluxe also has a Microphone channel for use with a 1/4-inch connector microphone from back in the old days. But Wait! According to the "secret sauce" folks, the idea to get the most out of this amp is to tumble, via a jumper cable, the Instrument channel into the Microphone channel, and vice-versa, and along with manipulating the Tone control, it's possible to get all degrees of clean and grind tones at varying volume levels. The idea is to manipulate the Volume controls of the Instrument and Microphone channels, and the Tone control to dial in what you want to hear for the playing situation at hand. I'll have to try this at another time as my fretting hand is suffering severe pain from work-related stress.

Thanks For Looking In And Your Comments Are Welcome!

FEATURES:
12-watt all-tube guitar combo amplifier
Newly designed single 12” 8-ohm Eminence Special Design alnico speaker
Original 5E3 circuit with Fender Pure Vintage yellow capacitors and Mercury Magnetics transformers
Single 12AY7 and single 12AX7 preamp tubes, two GT6V6 power amp tubes and single 5Y3 rectifier tube
Improved volume pot tapers on both channels
Includes a protective cover.

https://www.fender.com/en-US/guitar-...150500100.html

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-18-2021 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

OOOooops! After playing the Fender '57 Custom Deluxe for a while, taking a break, and then ready to resume play, I noticed the Jewel Light was off, and, of course, No Sound! I checked the fuse and it looks OK. I'm seeing the filaments of the rectifier and power tubes glowing rather faintly. Well, it looks like a return to the vendor for a refund or exchange is next on my agenda. Sigh, it sounded mighty nice while it lasted!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-18-2021 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:28 PM

It happens. They have 3 in stock to send you.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
OOOooops! After playing the Fender '57 Custom Deluxe for a while, taking a break, and then ready to resume play, I noticed the Jewel Light was off, and, of course, No Sound! I checked the fuse and it looks OK. I'm seeing the filaments of the rectifier and power tubes glowing rather faintly. Well, it looks like a return to the vendor for a refund or exchange is next on my agenda. Sigh, it sounded mighty nice while it lasted!
Not an issue if you're sending it back, but those slo-blo fuses may sometimes look OK, when they're blown. The better check is to use a multimeter to confirm continuity through the fuse.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Not an issue if you're sending it back, but those slo-blo fuses may sometimes look OK, when they're blown. The better check is to use a multimeter to confirm continuity through the fuse.
Thanks for the tip on the fuse! Too late though as I've already boxed up the amp for a return for a refund.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 09-19-2021, 02:15 PM

Hi SpruceTop, How many DOA and infant mortalities have you racked up so far in your newly accumulating amp collection? Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-19-2021, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Hi SpruceTop, How many DOA and infant mortalities have you racked up so far in your newly accumulating amp collection? Jon
Jon, only one so far, the Fender '57 Custom Deluxe, which died after about an hour! The two Fender Bassman '59 LTD amps, although they worked, both arrived with a "wiggly" chassis due to untightened chassis bolts, The first had a dent in the plywood/tweed right-side upright, so back it went. The second, aside from the "wiggly" chassis, which I tightened, is working well. The Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Sweetwater Exclusive arrived in perfect condition as did the '57 Custom Champ Handwired. My conclusion is that Fender currently has quality-control issues that need to be addressed to regain customer confidence, at least mine, anyway--maybe the QC issues are due to staff shortages and cross-training due to the Covid crisis? If a player orders a new Fender amp, and it's put together properly and works well for a few days without spitting the bit, it'll likely give years of good service ... I hope ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-19-2021 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:50 PM

Bummer about the amp, because I like the sound of those! Are you going to get another?
Old 09-19-2021, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Bummer about the amp, because I like the sound of those! Are you going to get another?
Rockabilly, I may but I now figure Fender is undergoing QC-control issues as all my recent Fender amps have been 2021-manufactured amps, and it seems it's hit-or-miss on the quality you'll get. I'm now leaning toward a MESA Boogie Fillmore 25 or 100, or maybe a MESA California Tweed.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 09-19-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Rockabilly, I may but I now figure Fender is undergoing QC-control issues as all my recent Fender amps have been 2021-manufactured amps, and it seems it's hit-or-miss on the quality you'll get. I'm now leaning toward a MESA Boogie Fillmore 25 or 100, or maybe a MESA California Tweed.
Well since I own a Boogie and a nice 5E3 (Clark Beaufort), I would say the Deluxe is a more classic sound, but the Boogie may be a bit more versatile. I posted about my Boogie in your Fillmore thread. One thing about Deluxe amps, besides the fact that they sound great, is that they are ridiculously easy to service, and almost any good amp tech can handle them, not so much with Boogie. If you do go with the Fillmore, I would recommend the lower wattage version for house playing. And (2) 6V6s would be plenty loud enough to gig with if need be. Mesa amps are generally louder than you would expect them to be.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
...the Fender '57 Custom Deluxe, which died after about an hour! The two Fender Bassman '59 LTD amps, although they worked, both arrived with a "wiggly" chassis due to untightened chassis bolts...
Quote:
...I now figure Fender is undergoing QC-control issues as all my recent Fender amps have been 2021-manufactured amps, and it seems it's hit-or-miss on the quality you'll get...
- and these are supposed to be handbuilt amps - for the prices they're charging you have every right to expect far better...

FWIW see if Mesa will still make you the combo of your choice, minus speaker (TMK they used to do this upon request), and install the aftermarket cone that fits your preferred style - better QC, and likely far cheaper in the long run...
Old 09-23-2021, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Hi SpruceTop,

I am very sorry about your having to send that amp back. I did some checking on YouTube and that Fender '57 Custom Deluxe Handwired 1x12" 12-watt Tube Combo Amp sounds really good. Classic Fender and super straightforward design.

MESA makes great amps from what I know. The Fillmore sounds great on YouTube, too!

- Glenn
Old 09-24-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
So, my initial audition sounds like my new Fender '57 Custom Deluxe Handwired 1x12" 12-watt Tube Combo Amp is a much louder- and fuller-sounding version of the Fender '57 Custom Champ Handwired that I got a month ago. [/URL]
There is no comparison between the 5E3 and 5F1 whatsoever...
I´ve got the Fender HW head version of the 5E3 and play it through a Celestion Blue.. there´s nothing like that the sound of rock, except for late 60s marshalls
The tweed Deluxe of course has that flubby low end when cranked, and there is no way to dial it out.. but the breakup is to me much more pleasant than raspy distortion of tweed Champ (I have the Victoria 518)

Btw, the MM trannies may be not all that vintage correct.. IDK
but I like the 5E3 from Fender CS
Old 09-25-2021, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom60 View Post
There is no comparison between the 5E3 and 5F1 whatsoever...
Thanks, Tom, for your feedback. My comparison was limited to messing around with the Fender '57 Custom Deluxe Handwired for about an hour, at moderate volume, and before it went belly-up. My comparison between the tonal qualities of the Fender '57 Custom Deluxe Handwired and the Fender '57 Custom Champ Handwired was broad in that they both easily were driven into creamy overdrive at moderate volume levels. I didn't have a chance to further explore the way more tones were available with the Fender '57 Custom Deluxe Handwired before it went kaput. I do, however, dig where you're coming from and wish I'd had more time with the '57 Custom Deluxe to appreciate its distinctive tonal offerings.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-25-2021 at 04:26 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars