The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-16-2021, 02:54 PM

Default I just ordered a McPherson Sable

Pucker!

I've never played one, only listened to YouTube. I'm playing my biggest gig ever this weekend and my Martin CEO7 is suffering a glue joint failure, so I took the plunge.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

You'll have to let us know your impressions when you get it!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 08-16-2021, 05:25 PM
Guest 928

Buzzard;

Good to hear from you. I like your web site and I like what your doing with the music. I particular like the violin (and the cello if that's what I'm hearing in the work).

I look forward to hearing your review of the new guitar.

I fondly remember you and the CarbonFests' breakfasts.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Great guitar, I love mine, hope it works out for you. Let us know how goes it !
Old 08-16-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Buzzard;

Good to hear from you. I like your web site and I like what your doing with the music. I particular like the violin (and the cello if that's what I'm hearing in the work).

I look forward to hearing your review of the new guitar.

I fondly remember you and the CarbonFests' breakfasts.
Hello, sir! Glad to reconnect.

Been away from CF for a bit and now I'm back I guess.

I am well and hope you and yours are too.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:20 PM

Whiskey- I’ve watched your vids over the years and know that you have played a lot of CF guitars. If I have to make a prediction I would say you find it the best sounding you have played or at least up there with the best. I just played the little brother (Touring) for the 3rd time at a local shop and I think I like it even more....but I like wee guitars.

Looking forward to your thoughts!
Old 08-16-2021, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

I'll be VERY interested in your reaction. I currently have a CEO-7, which I love, but I'm not playing it as much since I bought an 000-28EC a few months ago. Some chance I'll replace the CEO with a Sable myself at some point, because I'd really like to have one guitar that's impervious to weather/humidity/etc. Not sure I'd like the narrower string spacing on the Sable. Also not sure how the sound will be relative to the 000-28. The CEO-7 is a perfect counterpoint to the rosewood sound of the 28. Sounds like the Sable may have closer to the warm sound of mahogany but the sustain of my rosewood guitar. Not sure how they'd do as a pair. And I'd be really reluctant to let go of the CEO-7 anyway. But if the Sable has much in common with it sound wise, I might have to try one...

In any case, I hope you like it. But please share your impressions after you've spent some time with it...

-Ray
Old 08-16-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Whiskey- I’ve watched your vids over the years and know that you have played a lot of CF guitars. If I have to make a prediction I would say you find it the best sounding you have played or at least up there with the best. I just played the little brother (Touring) for the 3rd time at a local shop and I think I like it even more....but I like wee guitars.

Looking forward to your thoughts!
Oh, this is great news. Haha.

I too have a special place in my heart for smaller bodied guitars.

I used to really enjoy my Composite Acoustic, and I've played a bunch of Rainsongs, Emeralds and such. Mike and that CF crew were an awesome time in my life.

I was pulled away by the tone of the CE07 (an 00 sized guitar) but I've missed how carefree the CF world is.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:26 PM

I'de never heard of them until seeing your post, so I went and watched some demos. Amazing that there is no wood used in the making, because it sounds amazing. I need to find one near me to check out. Congrats on the new axe.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Many congrats - I fell in love with tone of CF above all else in January, and owned a couple of Rainsongs and Emeralds. When my local dealer became a McPherson dealer earlier this year, I took my former X30 in just to see how the Sable measured up. It turns out it more than measured up, and for my bare flesh fingerstyle, I actually preferred it to any CF guitar for warmth and richness of tone across the range.

Please do let us know how it goes and post pics of your new arrival!
Old 08-17-2021, 07:56 AM

The tracking order estimates that the guitar will be delivered today. I'm skeptical, but that would be wonderful. I'll post some pictures and a wav file asap.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:16 PM

I received the guitar today via FedEx. Here are a few initial impressions.

FedEx delivered it in perfect shape from Heartbreaker Guitars in Las Vegas. Delivery took two days.
It was detuned for shipping.
The strings are fresh and appear to be 13's which are too thick for my normal use but I'll keep them for a while.
The tuners are high quality. I think they're closed Schallers.
The neck is unpainted, very smooth, well dressed, well intonated, and I took to it immediately.
The body is larger than my 00 of course, but not as bulky as a dreadnaught. In terms of comfort, I give it a 6 out of 10. I'd give a D28 a 3 out of 10.
The back and sides have a sort of anti-slip paint that I don't love but it's ok. I also don't love glossy backed CF guitars. I wish mine were somewhere nearer a middle ground.
The look as it hangs on me is what it is... a striking black guitar with sharp cutaway and an offset soundhole.

The sound is grade A. Wow.
It's perhaps THE most "woody" CF guitar I've heard.
My Martin CEO7 needs to be treated a bit carefully in the trebles... I have to moderate my picking and strumming up there so that the overall tone isn't blown-out by the highs.
The Sable is far more balanced and darker overall.
It's also more compressed. By compressed I mean that hard picking or strumming is "absorbed" more, in the same way that a J45 seems to be (compared to D28). This is kind of 180 degrees from a Rainsong.

The Anthem SL pickup is very good. I tried it straight into my Schertler Unico.
When the lows are cut just a bit, it's friendly and stage ready.
When I run it into my Grace Felix first, cut back the lows, and make a -3dB "divot" with a medium sharp Q at around 3.6K, the sound is down-right stellar.

So that's it. I'm stressed out at work right now and need my evenings to just chill, so some recordings will have to wait.

I'll be using this guitar to play at the Sandy Amphitheater this weekend through some giant hanging line arrays, which should be kinda cool.

Be good.

David

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 08-18-2021 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
The sounds is grade A. Wow.
It's perhaps THE most "woody" CF guitar I've heard.
David
I told you! If you get a chance to, play the little guy as well. But congrats nonetheless.

My assessment on the Sable closely align to yours. McPherson has knocked it out of the park with these tonally. With closed eyes I'd be hard pressed to identify it as CF with the exception of that brilliant clarity we all love.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! That is a nice assessment. When time and the situation permits, we all like to hear sound clips and see some photos. Hopefully, that new guitar will help with the evening "chilling", making the work stress flow away. Enjoy!
Old 08-18-2021, 07:29 PM

Thanks for sharing that. Sounds like you two might get along just fine.

How is the neck? Skinny? Fat? C shaped, a little V?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber