The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-18-2021, 11:05 AM

I tend to use one of my Godin Multiacs for anything with a big PA. Both of them have LR Baggs Lyric mics built in, but they are in the chambers with no soundhole, so feedback is much less of an issue.

Yes, the AG-6 sounds fine though with either just a little or no S-Mic blended in with a loud PA.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
You might want to add the Mojotone NC-1 to that list. I've tried soundhole pickups in the past and I've disliked every one I've tried (including the M1 and M80). The NC-1 is the best sounding soundhole pickup I've ever heard. At least through my ears .
i agree. have it in 3 guitars. took k&ks out.
Old 08-18-2021, 01:07 PM

I nearly went for the Mojotone but the Schertler just pipped it. I may still get an NC-1 though as a spare/backup thing to use etc. I just liked the option for a mic blend as I like that sound.
Old 08-20-2021, 05:25 AM

Ok so AG6 pickup arrives this morning. Very quick for FedEx priority!

However, the pickup doesn't seem to work properly, there's intermittent cutting out and washy noises, even when I don't play anything on the guitar. I've tried swapping cables, plugging into a mixer and interface separately, etc. Same noise.

The only thing I can put it down to is its faulty, or its the battery? I have read a couple of people have been sent faulty pickups so maybe I'm just one of the unlucky ones.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:04 AM

Went to get a new C2032 battery, swapped it in. This time no sound at all and when pushing on it with my thumb there's a buzzing sound showing some signal is being picked up but no actual sound.

Schertler have said they're going to send a new tested one out on Monday.
Hopefully I just got a dodgy one. Was really looking forward to using this but looks like I'll have to stick with microphones for a bit.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:59 AM

New replacement pickup sent, it was delivered this morning. Very quick to process from these guys.

Anyway, plugged it in and its now working much to my relief. It sounds great! The S-Mic is the gamechanger though, even blending in a tiny amount makes a difference and I can get away with a bit of it live, which sounds better than pure pickup although I can use the pickup on its own if I really have to.

First real test is with an online lesson tomorrow which I'll use 100% mic as it sounds amazing and as I wear in-ears I won't have any trouble with feedback. Saves another mic on a stand and having to sit in the same position with the guitar for an hour (sometimes I have to move the guitar angle to demonstrate close ups of the fingers).

I have a question though for any users: Does leaving the S-Mic in only drain the battery at all if not playing for prolonged periods? I unplug the 1/4" instrument cable and then the 3.5mm one from the pickup which should deactivate the power but I would find it easier to leave the mic plugged in for quicker setup.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:58 AM

Unplugging the 1/4" endpin is enough to disconnect the battery power. There is no need to unplug either the 1/8" cable or the S-Mic. I have been using this pickup for a couple of years now and I am absolutely sure of that.

The only time I turn the mic up all the way is when I'm recording with it.
Old 08-25-2021, 02:07 PM

Ok, cos I wanna leave the pickup on the guitar when I finish playing it and put it back in its hard case. The 1/8" cable dangling out might scratch the finish when moving around so I'd rather just unplug it.

We'll see if there's any battery drain tomorrow when I do my lesson, if its dead I'll know why haha.

If I'm recording I'll always try to use a separate condenser mic (like my AKG P170) but it is convenient having it all in the soundhole of the guitar.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:25 PM

Almost a month using the Schertler, its been great, mainly using the S-mic on 100% as using in-ears.

There's just one thing that is a bit annoying, the 3.5mm jack has to be plugged in at the right angle for it to work properly, otherwise I just get intermittent hissing and signal cutting out (like the first time).

I had to keep my SM57 on standby and actually had to use it as backup before an online lesson.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

I’m late to this discussion. But I’m liking the Skysonic Pro-1. It’s a Mag with a built in Mic and a plug-in SBT you mount with sticky tape inside under the saddle. The Mag has controls to mix the Mic & SBT with the mag. There’s an internal 9V battery required. I mix the SBT with the Mag and pretty much turn off the Mic. I’ve got them in 2 guitars and will probably buy a couple more.

With the SBT, I think this pickup is what the M1a and M80 wanted to be, but fell short of.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerates View Post
Almost a month using the Schertler, its been great, mainly using the S-mic on 100% as using in-ears.

There's just one thing that is a bit annoying, the 3.5mm jack has to be plugged in at the right angle for it to work properly, otherwise I just get intermittent hissing and signal cutting out (like the first time).

I had to keep my SM57 on standby and actually had to use it as backup before an online lesson.
Have you not had the endpin installed into the guitar? The cable probably isn't designed to be constantly plugged in and out.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penrithrdstudio View Post
Have you not had the endpin installed into the guitar? The cable probably isn't designed to be constantly plugged in and out.
No because I'm still paying it off on finance and don't want to drill into the guitar.

I mean, I could leave the end pin and tape it to the body but that looks messy and the jack end still dangles out
Old 09-30-2021, 07:09 AM

Emailed Schertler and they've said after deeper testing they've discovered an electronic component fault in the latest batch of production.

So they've stopped these from sale and getting a new production line without said faulty electronic component and will send me a new one.

A relief to know its not me just having bad luck getting 2 dodgy pickups in a row.

I do like using it and its a great soundhole pickup, especially the S-mic.

But I may still get myself a Mag Mic or something as backup.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:41 PM

Replacement pickup (without faulty electronic components) arrived this morning. Works perfectly and sounds great. Hopefully this is the last time as they've now sent 3 pickups out to me in the space of 2 months.

Will look at the Mag Mic for my other acoustic unless I switch this one between the two but I don't want to wear the screws that clamp on to the guitar's soundhole. Have also left the 3.5mm jack plugged into the pickup and tucked in the endpin into the body when not playing. Sure it'll rattle around a bit when moving but as I sit down to play once seated it should be ok.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:22 AM

Been using the replacement AG6 for a couple of months now and its still working nicely, sounds great.

A student of mine bought an iRig acoustic stage, and today we used it to record with. It sounds quite good actually and I'm going to get one as a backup and to record both of us playing with other acoustic learners (me using my AG6 them using the iRig).

The natural setting sounded the nicest, I EQ'd a bit of mids and lows out and its pretty nice. Not too fiddly to setup and expensive either. Means I can swap it between guitars too as its not a permanent fixing into the acoustic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification