The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-23-2021, 10:04 AM

Default Who ditched their powered speakers and switched to an array?

I know there is some of this mentioned on other threads, but some of them are a few years old and I'm curious to see who has switched with so many new array systems on the market now.

If you switched, why?

Do you find the sound quality to be better / more effective in certain venues?

I'm considering switching over, but don't want to regret it if I choose to switch.

Solo Acoustic Guitar and Vocals

Current set up:
-2 EV ZXA1 tops and 2 EV ZXA1 subs (subs only used if in a larger area and need to reach out more, plus they are relatively small subs). Flexible to use one, both, or all depending on where I'm playing.
-Soundcraft EFX-8 Mixer
-TC Helicon Play Acoustic (still learning to use this, and may or may not gig with it)
-Radial JDI Direct Box
-Gibson Songwriter Deluxe with LR Baggs Anthem SL installed
-Martin DC-1E with old original Fishman pickup installed
-Several Mics (Sennheiser e935, Shure Beta 87c, EV N/D767a, Shure SM58)

Would I be crazy to switch? I mean, I'd love to have both. But here's why I'm considering an array: Some of the venues I used to gig at I felt like I was blasting the folks at the table nearest the speakers just so everyone else could hear the music. I like the idea of sound dispersion.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:13 AM

I went from Bose L1 to Bose L1 MII before going with a QSC K-12 for a couple of years.

Then I went to the JBL Eon One, HK 608i, which I still own and also bought a JBL Eon One Compact.

I guess that means I started out on a array before going the powered speaker route and back to...whatever it is I'm using now.

I like the all in one approach for the most part and having the high end starting out up in the air, but also having some bottom end to give the sound some gravity.

Still interested in the newer Bose lineup, but need to be allowed to play regularly again to justify spending any more money.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 09-23-2021, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWman View Post
Would I be crazy to switch? I mean, I'd love to have both. But here's why I'm considering an array: Some of the venues I used to gig at I felt like I was blasting the folks at the table nearest the speakers just so everyone else could hear the music. I like the idea of sound dispersion.
This is literally the definition of why the line array systems work so well. A more even spread of sound for everyone. I briefly had a line array but not long enough to really test it out gigging as I quickly went over to the little Bose S1 Pro. I switched for the uber-small and lightweight footprint and battery powered operation. That little wonder has decent dispersion but nothing like it's big brothers in the Bose array lineup.

From what you say, it sounds like you would be a prime candidate for the new Bose L8 or even L16 systems. Or any of the other array systems. I doubled down on the Bose S1 by adding a second one and now I have the EAE D6-58 added to the mix for a plethora of options but if we were playing (gigging) a certain kind of venue often, I'd be looking for a Bose L1 Pro 8.

The only shortcoming with the Bose offerings is a lack of inputs. But if you're one guitar, one mic then you likely wouldn't need more. Or just use your mixer in front of it.

Last edited by Methos1979; 02-17-2022 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:03 PM

After trying many powered speakers over the years (EV, QSC, Yamaha, JBL, etc.), I had settled on the great sounding Yamaha DSR series. However, these days I'm using the EV Evolve 50 and love it.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:46 PM

Would you describe, please, how your powered speakers are arranged in the venues?

Sound dispersion can be affected by many factors. The "room acoustics" is a very broad and general term.

Simply "flying" your speakers (hanging from the ceiling or putting up on tall stands or at a minimum, pointing the speakers at an upward angle) above the audience can do wonders toward spreading the sound evenly throughout the room.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
Would you describe, please, how your powered speakers are arranged in the venues?

Sound dispersion can be affected by many factors. The "room acoustics" is a very broad and general term.

Simply "flying" your speakers (hanging from the ceiling or putting up on tall stands or at a minimum, pointing the speakers at an upward angle) above the audience can do wonders toward spreading the sound evenly throughout the room.
So that all depends on the venue. If I just use one or two tops, then mounted on poles….and yes they can go up higher. If with the subs, then it depends. There is absolutely no one size fits all for every venue.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:42 PM

Default EV Evolve 50

I just made the switch from QSC K12’s to the EV Evolve 50. My needs are a bit different from most on this forum,I’m trying to amplify different types of instruments, but I do not sing. The QSC’s are great speakers, but certain effects out of my Helix when using my electric guitar had an odd sound to them. And I’ve had issues getting good sounds out of my synth. When I saw the low frequencies the EV was capable of, and plus the sub woofer is wood, I did a search and found a music store not too far from me. I tried it with an extended range instrument that has a bass guitar low B string and was amazed as to how well a full range instrument sounded through it. After bringing it home, no issues with any instrument. Every thing I play through it sounds exactly like it should. No feedback issues with my acoustic. Some of my instruments including my acoustic are carbon fiber, and there’s no “plastic” tones with the EV like I can get even with QSC speakers. Haven’t had a chance to try it live yet, but it works well downstairs in the house, good at low volumes and much easier on the ears without the large high frequency horn. I prefer normal speakers vs horns. The EV is also very quiet when it comes to unwanted noise. Very happy, does what I need it to.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:55 PM

I switched from EV Sxa360 over EV Sba760 to RCF Evox 8 about 5 years ago. I prefer the Evos by far.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 09-24-2021, 05:51 PM

I've kind of gone the other way.

During the last few pre-covid years I did a lot of duo work with a Bose L1Compact, but added a couple powered cabinets(JBL EON 612's) for bigger places last summer. They actually integrate very nicely in all sorts of ways, and individually weigh about the same(33lbs).

The Compact is handier for smaller venues because it takes up so little space, while I find the JBL's to be more effective and easier on my ears on larger patios covered with umbrella tables, or in band situations.

Over all, the systems are quite comparable in sound quality and work very well my Bose mixer.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:02 PM

I went from Mackie 450s to a small Bose. While I feel the Mackies sounded a bit better dank of course can be louder, I get more compliments on the Bose, maybe because it looks different and says "Bose" people figure it must be better? Anyway the ease of use and especially the lighter weight made it a no-brainer for me. Since the L1 has only 1 XLR, I am stuck bringing a mixer regardless. Then I got an S1 which come with (yay!) 2 XLRs. I can use it for a monitor, with the Li or hook them in tandem for bigger sound, or just use one or the other. gives me great flexibility and no more than 46 lbs if I carry both. Works for me anyhow.

Many of the places I play are afraid of a band or anyone playing too loud, so the Bose gives me a selling point If I played places that wanted loud, it would be the other way 'round.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:25 AM

So, I did some limited testing the other day at GC (plugged in one of their Martin Acoustic/Electrics just to get an idea). The salesman just set everything flat on each system I tried.

-JBL PRX One: I really wanted to like this one. It looks like the built-in mixer and processing/functionality would be perfect. I just sounded a bit muddy. May be able to mix some of that out, but it just put me off.

-Bose L1 Pro 8: Very clear and natural sound, but lacked some of the low end that I prefer. It's a no for me.

-EV Evolve 30m: Sounded really great. Not quite as clear as the Bose L1 Pro 8, but has more low end that I like. I wonder if it will be enough if I need a little extra for a larger outdoor gig. Also, no phantom power (not a deal breaker, but one of my mics is a condenser). Also has extra channels if needed and built in fx/compression.

-EV Evolve 50: Sounded fuller than the 30m. Probably would be a better bet to have the extra if needed. Has phantom power, but no built in fx. Also, few channels.

I still want to try the Bose L1 Pro 16 and the EV Evolve 50m. I don't expect the flat sound of the 50m to be any different than the 50 though.

Looks like I'm choosing between the EV Evolve 50m, the Evolve 50, or the Bose L1 Pro 16. Who all has compared these? I would really like to be able to ditch my mixer (Soundcraft EFX8) and not have to tote that around. I know that the 50m and the L1 Pro 16 have built in FX, but how good are they? Comparable to my mixer's built in fx? My other option would be to get my TC Helicon Play Acoustic repaired (control knob) and then either of the three options would work. I also have a couple concerns about the L1 Pro 16 that I've read/seen on youtube (constant hiss / wobbly). Also, would love to hear comparisons between the EV and Bose Apps and how functional and easy to use they are.

Would love to hear and appreciate your inputs.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

I haven't heard the Pro16 in the wild so I'm not the best source, but have talked to local gigging musicians who love it. Do be aware that the mixer on the 16 only has Bass and Treble--personally I'd always be uncomfortable without at least a basic Mid, for my guitar. On the other hand, the 16 (and 8 & 32) have the full Tonematch library of presets, a great benefit that may offset that shortcoming.

There's a Facebook Bose L1 group that's the single best source I know of for nonstop conversation about that line.

The wobble factor varies because some people care more about it than others, and I'm convinced that some units wobble more than others. I don't have as strong an opinion about the hiss, but like the wobble, on the FB group some complaint about it, some don't.

I have heard the Evolve 50 in two different venues and it sounded great. If there's one criticism of the Evolve 30M mixer--which I assume is the same as the 50m's--it's that the reverb isn't all that great. Again, that's subjective.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWman View Post
So, I did some limited testing the other day at GC (plugged in one of their Martin Acoustic/Electrics just to get an idea). The salesman just set everything flat on each system I tried.

-JBL PRX One: I really wanted to like this one. It looks like the built-in mixer and processing/functionality would be perfect. I just sounded a bit muddy. May be able to mix some of that out, but it just put me off.

-Bose L1 Pro 8: Very clear and natural sound, but lacked some of the low end that I prefer. It's a no for me.

-EV Evolve 30m: Sounded really great. Not quite as clear as the Bose L1 Pro 8, but has more low end that I like. I wonder if it will be enough if I need a little extra for a larger outdoor gig. Also, no phantom power (not a deal breaker, but one of my mics is a condenser). Also has extra channels if needed and built in fx/compression.

-EV Evolve 50: Sounded fuller than the 30m. Probably would be a better bet to have the extra if needed. Has phantom power, but no built in fx. Also, few channels.

I still want to try the Bose L1 Pro 16 and the EV Evolve 50m. I don't expect the flat sound of the 50m to be any different than the 50 though.

Looks like I'm choosing between the EV Evolve 50m, the Evolve 50, or the Bose L1 Pro 16. Who all has compared these? I would really like to be able to ditch my mixer (Soundcraft EFX8) and not have to tote that around. I know that the 50m and the L1 Pro 16 have built in FX, but how good are they? Comparable to my mixer's built in fx? My other option would be to get my TC Helicon Play Acoustic repaired (control knob) and then either of the three options would work. I also have a couple concerns about the L1 Pro 16 that I've read/seen on youtube (constant hiss / wobbly). Also, would love to hear comparisons between the EV and Bose Apps and how functional and easy to use they are.

Would love to hear and appreciate your inputs.
The Evolve 30M and 50M both have phantom power but it's 15 volts. Microphones will work just fine with that but some guitar DI preamp will not. They also both have effects that sound OK, the 50M is about $300 more and it's probably worth it. However both of them work very well.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:30 PM

I shopped GC the other day. Listened to the EV 30M, the JBL PRX One, the Bose L1 Compact and the Bose L1 Pro8. Wanted to really like one of them because I'm getting tired of schlepping monitors and heavy mains, not to mention cords and yada yada.

Sigh. None of them sound as good as they look. Real warmth and body and envelopment are missing.

I'm just a dinosaur in some ways.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Listened to the EV 30M, the JBL PRX One, the Bose L1 Compact and the Bose L1 Pro8.

None of them sound as good as they look. Real warmth and body and envelopment are missing.
I think that's what you'll keep running into until you look at some of the larger units. Coming originally from a Bose L1 MII I'm hoping the Pro16 will hit the magic mark when it comes to enveloping sound and warmth.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification