The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-21-2021, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Tazewell Beauty Queen

I'm just having a go at putting together a simple arrangement of Tazewell Beauty Queen by Jenni and Billy. It's a simple little story song about Appalachian miners dreaming about earning the $ for a nice car to take out the Tazewell Beauty Queen. I saw Jenni and Billy perform the song at a bluegrass festival and thought it would be fun to try. I recorded a quick practice attempt tonight.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Not just a real place in Appalachia (Virginia), but a good
place to ride motorcycles... not this main road so much, but
it has the sign ...

-Mike
Old 09-22-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
Not just a real place in Appalachia (Virginia), but a good
place to ride motorcycles... not this main road so much, but
it has the sign ...

-Mike
Nearby Tazewell is Burke's Garden. I have ridden a motorcycle in this area many times. It's a beautiful part of the country and has many delightful twists and turns of the road. Burke's Garden is called "God's Thumbprint" and Cornelius Vanderbilt (who built Biltmore outside of Asheville) once tried to buy the land. He was turned down so then he bought 125,000 acres and built his "hunting lodge". There are stories that up until recently, it was nearly impossible to purchase land there unless you were family or somehow connected to existing residents.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeane View Post
Nearby Tazewell is Burke's Garden. I have ridden a motorcycle in this area many times. It's a beautiful part of the country and has many delightful twists and turns of the road. Burke's Garden is called "God's Thumbprint" and Cornelius Vanderbilt (who built Biltmore outside of Asheville) once tried to buy the land. He was turned down so then he bought 125,000 acres and built his "hunting lodge". There are stories that up until recently, it was nearly impossible to purchase land there unless you were family or somehow connected to existing residents.
I picked Burke's Garden off the map... what the ?@##! is that? ! ?

It is great being there, in a giant valley with a 360 degree mountain
ridge surrounding you.

I had to look up Jeni & Billy... it looks like they're solo acts now...

https://jenihankins.bandcamp.com/alb...f-the-mountain

-Mike
Old 09-23-2021, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

That was great! You can really tell a story, Robin. Love your picking style here, the way it serves the song. Nice

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell