The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 08-01-2021, 12:59 PM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 30,374
Default

My M1A seems to have passed on to the great soundhole in the sky even with a new battery in. I'll investigate this further at another time. Playing/recording with the line-in and with the plug-in I was directed to will make me take my J-45 out of the case more often
__________________
Signature begins here....

Barry

An Daingean {William Coulter}:


More music videos = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmcW...NGUleVBEl4FGf_

My SoundCloud page


Alvarez AP66SB
Avalon Ard Ri L2-32C
Cordoba C5
Furch Yellow Gc-CR
Gibson J-45
Guild D-120C
Larrivee OM-05
Martin D-16GT
Seagull Folk
Washburn D-10S

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-01-2021, 02:00 PM
Doug Young's Avatar
Doug Young Doug Young is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 8,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ouch,,, gasoline really ? Don't equivocate just tell us where you stand .....

I have heard some of your pickup recordings I would say more like deep chocolate vs. watery Vanilla .
I think my pickup setups sound pretty good live - what they're meant for, and the recordings are ok for demos. But to get to "OK" involves not only good pickups, but IRs, an internal mic (big factor) and a custom preamp. When I listen to most recordings done with a pickup, I last about a second and a half - the amount of time it takes to click the stop button. Just not a sound I care for at all. I like both vanilla and chocolate, but I don't think most pickups rise to the level of any acceptable flavor, for recording. There are ways to blend them into a mic'd recording, but that's a whole different goal and process, and even there I've heard too many recordings that mixed in a pickup where you go "what's that annoying character I keep getting a hint of?".
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-01-2021, 04:44 PM
KevWind's Avatar
KevWind KevWind is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edge of Wilderness Wyoming
Posts: 15,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I think my pickup setups sound pretty good live - what they're meant for, and the recordings are ok for demos. But to get to "OK" involves not only good pickups, but IRs, an internal mic (big factor) and a custom preamp. When I listen to most recordings done with a pickup, I last about a second and a half - the amount of time it takes to click the stop button. Just not a sound I care for at all. I like both vanilla and chocolate, but I don't think most pickups rise to the level of any acceptable flavor, for recording. There are ways to blend them into a mic'd recording, but that's a whole different goal and process, and even there I've heard too many recordings that mixed in a pickup where you go "what's that annoying character I keep getting a hint of?".
I was just having a bit humor with your imagery .... But none the less we agree it boils down to subjective tastes and my taste leans heavily towards mic'ed over pickup sound ... However I still stand by my statement ,,,,,that subjective preference , does not have anything to do with time of experience in playing or recording, which was the implication in the post (not yours BTW ) that I originally replied to
__________________
" Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein
Enjoy the Journey.... Kev...


KevWind at Soundcloud

Recording System :
Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2021.6 .....Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen processor,,128GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory,,2TB SSD storage,,Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory,, on Catalina 10.15.7

Last edited by KevWind; 08-01-2021 at 04:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-01-2021, 05:01 PM
Doug Young's Avatar
Doug Young Doug Young is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 8,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I was just having a bit humor with your imagery .... But none the less we agree it boils down to subjective tastes and my taste leans heavily towards mic'ed over pickup sound ... However I still stand by my statement ,,,,,that subjective preference , does not have anything to do with time of experience in playing or recording, which was the implication in the post (not yours BTW ) that I originally replied to
Yep, all musical sounds are subjective. I mean if you can make music pounding two rocks together and it sounds right, then it's right. I have a certain bias toward a natural acoustic sound that I want to produce, and what I view as good tone, but that's largely a stylistic thing. Others have other ideas of the sound they want in an acoustic. Heck, when my son talks about playing "acoustic" he means his Les Paul without any overdrive on it, he thinks that sounds like an acoustic guitar. I failed in my attempts to educate him somewhere along the way.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-01-2021, 05:34 PM
Brent Hahn Brent Hahn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Heck, when my son talks about playing "acoustic" he means his Les Paul without any overdrive on it, he thinks that sounds like an acoustic guitar.
Yeah, well, our generation had MTV, who were a little confused about the definition of "unplugged."
__________________
Originals

Couch Standards
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=