The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-01-2021, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

My M1A seems to have passed on to the great soundhole in the sky even with a new battery in. I'll investigate this further at another time. Playing/recording with the line-in and with the plug-in I was directed to will make me take my J-45 out of the case more often

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-01-2021, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ouch,,, gasoline really ? Don't equivocate just tell us where you stand .....

I have heard some of your pickup recordings I would say more like deep chocolate vs. watery Vanilla .
I think my pickup setups sound pretty good live - what they're meant for, and the recordings are ok for demos. But to get to "OK" involves not only good pickups, but IRs, an internal mic (big factor) and a custom preamp. When I listen to most recordings done with a pickup, I last about a second and a half - the amount of time it takes to click the stop button. Just not a sound I care for at all. I like both vanilla and chocolate, but I don't think most pickups rise to the level of any acceptable flavor, for recording. There are ways to blend them into a mic'd recording, but that's a whole different goal and process, and even there I've heard too many recordings that mixed in a pickup where you go "what's that annoying character I keep getting a hint of?".
Old 08-01-2021, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I think my pickup setups sound pretty good live - what they're meant for, and the recordings are ok for demos. But to get to "OK" involves not only good pickups, but IRs, an internal mic (big factor) and a custom preamp. When I listen to most recordings done with a pickup, I last about a second and a half - the amount of time it takes to click the stop button. Just not a sound I care for at all. I like both vanilla and chocolate, but I don't think most pickups rise to the level of any acceptable flavor, for recording. There are ways to blend them into a mic'd recording, but that's a whole different goal and process, and even there I've heard too many recordings that mixed in a pickup where you go "what's that annoying character I keep getting a hint of?".
I was just having a bit humor with your imagery .... But none the less we agree it boils down to subjective tastes and my taste leans heavily towards mic'ed over pickup sound ... However I still stand by my statement ,,,,,that subjective preference , does not have anything to do with time of experience in playing or recording, which was the implication in the post (not yours BTW ) that I originally replied to

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 08-01-2021 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I was just having a bit humor with your imagery .... But none the less we agree it boils down to subjective tastes and my taste leans heavily towards mic'ed over pickup sound ... However I still stand by my statement ,,,,,that subjective preference , does not have anything to do with time of experience in playing or recording, which was the implication in the post (not yours BTW ) that I originally replied to
Yep, all musical sounds are subjective. I mean if you can make music pounding two rocks together and it sounds right, then it's right. I have a certain bias toward a natural acoustic sound that I want to produce, and what I view as good tone, but that's largely a stylistic thing. Others have other ideas of the sound they want in an acoustic. Heck, when my son talks about playing "acoustic" he means his Les Paul without any overdrive on it, he thinks that sounds like an acoustic guitar. I failed in my attempts to educate him somewhere along the way.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Heck, when my son talks about playing "acoustic" he means his Les Paul without any overdrive on it, he thinks that sounds like an acoustic guitar.
Yeah, well, our generation had MTV, who were a little confused about the definition of "unplugged."

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD