The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-08-2021, 09:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Talk about a looker, Wow that is beautiful. Looking forward to seeing it at B.I.G. if someone doesn't buy it before then. Even then, that person should take delivery at B.I.G., can you drag your feet a little on finishing this one out?
Thanks Doug. But take care—there are a few things in life one should never say. High on the list: “Take your time” to a luthier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKeys36 View Post
I've loved this guitar since the first time I saw it and it just keeps getting better. That bevel is incredible.
Thank you John! I’d love for you to play this guy, and get your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceen View Post
That black and white ebony is so gorgeous. And sustainable!
Much appreciated Vance. I should probably look more diligently for this species, but I only seem to encounter it in fits and spurts. I hope you are right about its sustainability—it produces a stunning instrument.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 06-09-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Thanks Doug. But take care—there are a few things in life one should never say. High on the list: “Take your time” to a luthier!

Thank you John! I’d love for you to play this guy, and get your feedback.

Much appreciated Vance. I should probably look more diligently for this species, but I only seem to encounter it in fits and spurts. I hope you are right about its sustainability—it produces a stunning instrument.

Steve
I was very impressed by a video from the president of Taylor a few years ago in which he described how black ebony is harvested. Apparently it's not known whether the wood is solid black until the tree is felled. So some number (I forget the number, but it was surprisingly large) of trees get cut down and then left on the ground because they don't have enough solid black material. He said they weren't going to specify all-black ebony any more.

I love the looks of black ebony, but I hate for such a wasteful process to go into guitars. And the black and white is really beautiful in itself.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I was very impressed by a video from the president of Taylor a few years ago in which he described how black ebony is harvested. Apparently it's not known whether the wood is solid black until the tree is felled. So some number (I forget the number, but it was surprisingly large) of trees get cut down and then left on the ground because they don't have enough solid black material. He said they weren't going to specify all-black ebony any more.

I love the looks of black ebony, but I hate for such a wasteful process to go into guitars. And the black and white is really beautiful in itself.
Ah, I think we are speaking of two different species, at least possibly.
This guitar is not from that African ebony which is multi-colored, and enjoying a new sense of appreciation due to men like Taylor. But rather a different species from S.E. Asia. The species name eludes me at the moment, but it carries the eponymous name “Black and White”.

We DO have some African ebony that is from that ebony-saving project (á la Taylor) and it is amazing. It would be heartening to think there are preservation efforts for all the ebony species.

Old 06-11-2021, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This guitar is not from that African ebony which is multi-colored, and enjoying a new sense of appreciation due to men like Taylor. But rather a different species from S.E. Asia. The species name eludes me at the moment, but it carries the eponymous name “Black and White”.

We DO have some African ebony that is from that ebony-saving project (á la Taylor) and it is amazing. It would be heartening to think there are preservation efforts for all the ebony species.
Diospyros malabarica Steve…
Old 06-11-2021, 09:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Diospyros malabarica Steve…
Well there you go! Thanks Bob, I figured you would have that name up your sleeve. It’s an amazing variety of Diospyros, that’s for sure.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Well, there you go. Happy to be learning something!
Old 06-14-2021, 12:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Vance (and any others that might appreciate this discussion) I got a couple of pics showing some of the “rescued” African ebony. These show how the term “black and white” can be interpreted in other ways.

IMG_1623694007.734113.jpg

First pic is large enough (just) for a 00.

IMG_1623694054.784731.jpg

This shot is of the set we call “Chain Gang Ebony”. Hopefully for obvious reasons. Both of these are diospyros crassiflora. I hope I have spelled that correctly. Both from Africa, both are black and white, especially the chain gang set. Not confusing, right?

Old 06-14-2021, 12:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Hey Vance (and any others that might appreciate this discussion) I got a couple of pics showing some of the “rescued” African ebony. These show how the term “black and white” can be interpreted in other ways.

Attachment 58126

Attachment 58128

This shot is of the set we call “Chain Gang Ebony”. Hopefully for obvious reasons. Both of these are diospyros crassiflora. I hope I have spelled that correctly. Both from Africa, both are black and white, especially the chain gang set. Not confusing, right?

I want some
Old 06-14-2021, 04:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

And for comparison purposes, the “Black and White” ebony on this latest guitar:

IMG_1623711307.671757.jpg

Old 06-14-2021, 06:40 PM

100% completely random, but I just made the lovely Kathy a large 64 inch by 2 1/2 inch floating shelf and two charcuterie boards out of spalted Tx Hackbury with a very similar look believe it or not to the last B and W ebony back. I will show them to you at B.I.G.!!!
Old 06-15-2021, 07:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
100% completely random, but I just made the lovely Kathy a large 64 inch by 2 1/2 inch floating shelf and two charcuterie boards out of spalted Tx Hackbury with a very similar look believe it or not to the last B and W ebony back. I will show them to you at B.I.G.!!!
Looking forward to it, Tom. And if this guitar is a good match to the shelf, you could put it there and the lovely Kathy might not recognize the new purchase until weeks...months later? Just trying to help, ya know.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Smile Way to Go!

This BW is mighty Purdy!!!

Going to be a show stopper. And it will no doubt sound even better than it looks!

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-15-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:

Attachment 58126

Attachment 58128

Well, that is beautiful.

And the other black & white ebony looks even better.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
This BW is mighty Purdy!!!
Going to be a show stopper. And it will no doubt sound even better than it looks!
Salud
Paul
Thanks again, Paul. I appreciate your kind thoughts.

Quote:
Well, that is beautiful.

And the other black & white ebony looks even better.
I’m glad you like them Vance. Thanks for sparking this discussion of different ebony species!

Steve

Old 08-28-2021, 10:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

I’ll try to revive this thread a bit with some overdue pictures.
The Black & White Ebony OM will juuuuust make it to B.I.G. on time.
A few shots:

IMG_1630211708.686587.jpg

IMG_1630211770.097811.jpg

And because some folks were interested in the neck, particularly how in the world to match (or compliment) that back, here is our solution. Mahogany outer lams, with maple stringers and a central core of Bees Wing Narra. Also, a few black veneer lines for clear separation:

IMG_1630211807.859093.jpg

Hope to see you at B.I.G.!

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop