The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-03-2021, 07:19 AM

Default classical build

I have built 5 steel string guitars and now I want to build a classical guitar. The top's bracing and Spanish neck joint seem to be the biggest differences between the two? There seems to be quite a lot of different top bracing designs and I have no clue about which to use. I would prefer a mellow sound. Can anyone here recommend a set of plans and instructions? Thanks, Danny Gray
Old 12-03-2021, 07:34 AM

The vast majority of nylon guitars I've encountered from steel-string buliders have been overbuilt. It's no so much the bracing pattern versus how much lighter you can afford to go since nylon strings exert far less force on the top. Lattice braced tops can be pretty much paper thin.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-07-2022 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Promoting.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

GenOne Luthier Supply sells decent plans.

https://genone-luthier-supply.com/co...l-guitar-plans

You can download the plans as PDF files and have a local shop print them full size. The printing only costs me about $8.00 for a five sheet plan here.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:27 AM

Do you want to leverage as much of your steel string building experience as possible or do you want the whole traditional solera/Spanish heel/slipper foot building experience? If you are looking for the latter, there are a number of great books, such as those by Romanillos and Courtnall. Plans for many iconic guitars are available - check out the GAL collection for example.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-24-2022 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Not allowed
Old 12-03-2021, 01:58 PM

FWIW I use the same bolt on neck joint for both now. I used to to the traditional Spanish heel joint but I just think the bolt on is so much better for so many ways.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:34 AM

Thanks to all who responded to this. I feel like the more I can learn the better my chances of success! D Gray
Old 12-05-2021, 01:25 AM

Default LMI and Masterguitarplans.com

Both of the above have quite a few plans available, with LMI offering matching templates which can be really helpful.

I’ve used the LMI Hauser ‘37 plan for my last two instruments. That guitar has slightly thicker soundboard than the norm, coupled with very low and narrow fan braces. One of my builds had a traditional spruce top, the other a double top using cedar and Nomex. Both guitars have a similar overall warm sound and are very responsive, with the double-top being a little louder.

If you’re looking for the traditional classical building experience, then I’d suggest you use a solera and Spanish heel neck-body joint. Another great (and inexpensive) resource is the Bogdanovich - Classical Guitar Making, and as mentioned by a previous poster Roy Courtnall’s: Making Master Guitars, more expensive but a lovely book with some fascinating history around some of the most famous instruments.

There are very significant differences between a typical steel-string and classical guitar, not least the top dimensioning and bracing patterns. In addition the neck-body geometry means that the neck is pitched slightly forward whereas the typical steel-string guitar has a slight backward pitch. Rosettes and purfling are often much more elaborate on classical guitars, but also really great fun to make.

Feel free to PM me for further information and good luck with the build.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair