The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-13-2021, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Default What's the deal with PLEKing???

What are the actual advantages to the player? I ask because I just received a new guitar (Emerald X20) that was PLEKed, and it has the best action I've ever experienced on a guitar. I've owned previous Emeralds (and other guitars) and generally find myself tweaking the action, but the action of this new Emerald is just amazing. Is this a perceived affect on my part or does PLEKing result in improved action???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-13-2021, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Default What's the deal with PLEKing???

Quote:
and it has the best action I've ever experienced on a guitar.
Look no further,...
Old 11-13-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
What are the actual advantages to the player? I ask because I just received a new guitar (Emerald X20) that was PLEKed, and it has the best action I've ever experienced on a guitar. I've owned previous Emeralds (and other guitars) and generally find myself tweaking the action, but the action of this new Emerald is just amazing. Is this a perceived affect on my part or does PLEKing result in improved action???
I had my Taylor 414 plekked and partially refretted by Sweetwater, and it was like getting a new guitar. (Except they didn't fill in the dings and scratches.)

D.H.

Edit: Installed a bone nut, too!

Last edited by Dave Hicks; 11-13-2021 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:41 AM

Default Pleking

What is the cost to have a guitar peeked?

TMS
Old 11-13-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd913 View Post
What is the cost to have a guitar peeked?

TMS
$250 at Sweetwater.

D.H.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:22 PM
Guitar Gourmet

In my experience, Pleking a guitar makes it so that it is reasonably playable right out of the box. Before Pleking, manufacturers were often hit or miss on playability. It was just about guaranteed that I felt it absolutely necessary to immediately take any new guitar to my luthier/tech to get it set up properly. With the advent of Pleking, things have changed for me. My last three guitars were all Pleked and I haven't gotten them setup.

That doesn't mean that I don't want to, just that I haven't. I play them and think, "Darn, these are set up pretty well!" But I also think, "How much better would this be with a proper setup?" I know they could be made better and I want to get them set up, but it isn't absolutely necessary. Funny, huh?
Now they just nag at me.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-14-2021, 08:33 AM

The whole PLEK idea is a combination scanner and CNC milling system for fret leveling. On paper, it allows the system to duplicate the best that a lutheir could do and do it every time on every guitar. But there is still the necessity to learn how to use it and to use it correctly.

Link to a PLEK system video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cXgeuJgh-jw

There's a bunch of other videos on youtube from people like Rhett Shull that love how their guitar plays after a PLEK setup.

So, up to you.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRS View Post
The whole PLEK idea is a combination scanner and CNC milling system for fret leveling. On paper, it allows the system to duplicate the best that a lutheir could do and do it every time on every guitar. But there is still the necessity to learn how to use it and to use it correctly.

Link to a PLEK system video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cXgeuJgh-jw

There's a bunch of other videos on youtube from people like Rhett Shull that love how their guitar plays after a PLEK setup.

So, up to you.
It's just a fret leveling technology, right?

It was my impression PLEK doesn't set up nut slots or neck relief or saddle height. So I can't see how putting a guitar through the PLEK process would guarantee a good setup.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 11-14-2021, 09:05 AM

It will do more than fret milling. It can do:

Fingerboard planing and radiusing
Nutslot and surface cutting
Saddle cutting
Fretslot, nutpocket and saddleslot cutting
Fret dressing and crowning

https://plek.com/technology/processing/
Old 11-14-2021, 11:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

PLEKing is a valid way to come close to the results of a great guitar tech using $300 worth of hand tools by spending a quarter of a million dollars on a dedicated machine.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
PLEKing is a valid way to come close to the results of a great guitar tech using $300 worth of hand tools by spending a quarter of a million dollars on a dedicated machine.
Absolutely Bruce, but we can't all get to you!
Old 11-14-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
It's just a fret leveling technology, right?

It was my impression PLEK doesn't set up nut slots or neck relief or saddle height. So I can't see how putting a guitar through the PLEK process would guarantee a good setup.
You miss the part of how PLEK machines have fret cutters AND a high speed spindle for nut cutting?

I've seen videos showing that the system maps the fretboard, fret heights and string relief for all frets for the entire length of each string individually while under string tension. Then a tech/luthier can adjust truss rod and saddle height for the best action before the machine does fret leveling and crowning that retains maximum fret material and dials in the final setup. It's pretty d*** cool!

I think the other stuff they can do, like neck planing would be guitar production steps before installing the frets, so that's not part of a post-production setup.

I've got a Gibson Les Paul that was PLEK at the factory. Excellent setup right out of the case. And my only experience with a guitar I know has been PLEK'ed
Old 11-14-2021, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

In the majority of cases the plek machine is put to work on a guitar after the frets are installed, so it cannot do the important job of profiling the fretboard.

I think that SCGC are one of the very few companies using the full potential of the system. Profiling, fret slots, nut, saddle slot, saddle, fret level and crown. Most guitar makers install the frets before the neck is installed; so the poor plek only has the frets to play with, and therefore could be trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
PLEK doesn’t replace the setup or the tech.
The PLEK perfects the fretboard under string tension. As perfect as your techs work may be, the shape of the neck will change when you add 200 lbs.
I don’t know anyone who can do that by hand.

My best playing guitars were brought to a great shop PLEKed and set up.

Following the plek, the nut slots and saddle will need to be perfected also.
I have had a PLEK improve a setup done at Schoenberg and I think it’s pretty tough to find a better shop than Schoenberg.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
PLEK doesn’t replace the setup or the tech.
The PLEK perfects the fretboard under string tension. As perfect as your techs work may be, the shape of the neck will change when you add 200 lbs.
I don’t know anyone who can do that by hand.
I don't really have a dog in this potential fight . . . but it is not that hard to simulate the 160 lb of tension the guitar strings represent. Depending on set up and string gauge, the pressure at the nut perpendicular to the direction of the strings is actually only between 6 and 8 lbs. I have a simple system for applying that pressure both when I true the fingerboard surface and when I mill the frets, as well as when I adjust the truss rod.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair