The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 11-20-2021, 11:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellHawaii View Post
Aloha Stephen! Gorgeous guitar, wow! Your artistry is unbelievable! I’ve been considering a second Edwinson!
Can I ask about its weight? I assume Malaysian Blackwood is quite heavy, eh?
Aloha, Russell, I was just thinking about you this morning! Great to hear from you! I hope you are well and prosperous these days, and that you're still enjoying the BRW Zephyr.
This new Performance SC is the largest guitar I make, and yes, Malaysian Blackwood is very hard, heavy, and dense. MBW is a true Ebony, but in addition to its density and weight, it compares closely to African Blackwood, which is a Dalbergia rosewood. It also has great acoustic properties, providing a lot of focus and clarity, sustain, and colorful overtones. I made the back quite thin to bring out the best response, and braced it lightly with Adirondack Spruce. It really does add a strong rosewood vibe to the guitar.
This guitar isn't built like a tank by any stretch, but it isn't as light as a potato chip either. It's a big guitar, and is fully decked out with top-shelf options. In addition to the Malaysian Blackwood, it has double sides, arm and rib bevels, and a cove cutaway, which all have Cedar supports inside. I'm using mostly very lightweight, strong Spanish Cedar for these architectural elements.
I have refined the internal architecture quite a bit to reduce the weight. Spanish Cedar is wonderful stuff for that. In addition to be very light and strong, it also has great tonal potential as well.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I can attest from an in person experience that this is a stunning guitar of the highest build level from a man whose integrity and character can not be denied.
You are very kind, Tom. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2021, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I can attest from an in person experience that this is a stunning guitar of the highest build level from a man whose integrity and character can not be denied.
So true. Steve is impeccable. As a person and a luthier. This guitar would be a bargain at twice the price. Love my Zephyr and Falcon!
Minerva 0 12 fret
Edwinson Falcon 0 cutaway, sapele/spruce
Edwinson Zephyr 00 cutaway, koa/spruce
Taylor 612-C Maple Grand Concert (1997)
Taylor 612-CE Maple Grand Concert (1999)
Old 12-04-2021, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Edwinson-2021 EP-SC Performance Guitar for sale!

I was so happy to receive this guitar this week. It’s plays, feels, smells and sounds as beautifully as it looks. This is my second Edwinson; my Zephyr might appear for sale here in future. So far I’m keeping both.
I agree with the compliments here that Stephen so deserves. I have not met him yet, living 5,000 miles away, but he is a kindred spirit and a friend yet-to-be-met!
Let me add that Edwinson guitars are absolute works of art, with tasteful, surprising design elements, unequaled by any I’ve seen. No one, that I know of, puts so much work, art, and skill into a guitar.
And now that the deal is done, I agree with chasapple that it would be a bargain at twice the price! (Looks like there are at least 4 Edwinsons in Hawaii!)
Old 12-04-2021, 04:24 PM

Awesome! You got it! I'm really happy for you. Mine, although not quite as fancy as that one, plays and sounds great. I was supposed to go to BIG and have a chance to play that one, but things got in the way. Next time I'll be there.

Not to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty excited about how mine has already started to open up a little. I'm sure it will be even better in a few years, but if you get a chance, check out my latest recording on it. It has this creamy thing going on, but still has tons of definition. It's an addicting tone.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=633045
Old 12-04-2021, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Congrats Russell! That is a beauty. I regret not having tried it at B.I.G as I am very curious how much the different woods and dual sound port vs my Edwinson Performance would make in the tone.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:26 AM

Default Bummed

So sorry I did not have a chance to see that guitar! Apparently it was gone to Hawaii already when I contacted Steve. From the comments on this thread, I really need to see one of his guitars. Love the portfolio on Flickr. My wife is enamored with these guitars, and wants to know if there’s anything else available?
Old 12-10-2021, 10:31 AM

Default Bummed

So sorry I did not have a chance to see that guitar! Apparently it was gone to Hawaii already when I contacted Steve. From the comments on this thread, I really need to see one of his guitars. Love the portfolio on Flickr. My wife is enamored with these guitars, and wants to know if there’s anything else available?
Old 12-10-2021, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drscott View Post

Thanks! This is my second Edwinson, and I know exactly what you mean!
I bought my first Edwinson Zephyr a few years back, after seeing pics of it. A discussion on AGF was my introduction to him. I bought it sight unseen, never having played, heard, or held one. I could tell that this luthier has an unequaled way to showcase the elegance of his fine woods, with thoughtful and surprising details here and there.
I thought my Zephyr would be a beauty piece to polish and admire, but I found I loved playing it also! When this larger Edwinson showed up here I felt the same, and I’m glad I got it. It’s not only unbelievably beautiful but has a clear, loud,accurate voice and I can’t put it down.
I plan on selling my Zephyr, a smaller body guitar in BRW/bearclaw spruce. It has the only piece of Brazilian Rosewood I’ve ever seen with green (yes, green!) highlights! Message me if interested, I’ll send pics. If your wife appreciates the beauty of his guitars you will both be pleased!
Luthier Stephen Sheriff is not only unequaled in his wood skill and aesthetics, but is the nicest guy in the world and takes the time to answer questions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace