The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-01-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Everybody beyond the age of reason has a cell phone in the world today.

Though there is not a barometer in the cell phone you can ask it the RH for your zip code.

It will respond with RH from wherever your local temp is read from.

Of course your house may be a bit lower, as you may have a furnace burning.

But will get you in the ball park.
I think that is very location dependent. I'm in NY. The outside temp is 36 degrees and the humidity is currently 79%. The humidity in my heated room is 39% with the humidifier running on the low fan speed 24/7. Yesterday it went down to 32% and I had to live with the extra noise of the medium fan speed. I have hot water baseboard heat, and I suspect forced air might be even worse.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 12-01-2021, 08:01 AM

without a hygrometer you're only left to guess, you can probably assume that right about now, RH is in the low 30s, the colder it gets for longer durations, the drier it will be. I too live in the north east.

in the dead of winter, my house is in the low 30s mid 20s, we have a tight home with lots insulation and good windows. but dry is dry,

some guitars are more prone to responding to dry or humid climates more than others. but they will all have some sort of side effect to the conditions eventually

Keeping the guitar in a good case will help and add some humidifiers for guitars, (not expensive) can help too.

but it's really up to you how far you take this whole thing.

the more you know about this, the more cautious you'll be, especially if you've got a lot of money invested in the instrument(s) you own

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 12-01-2021, 10:35 AM

I've got two hygrometers sitting side-by-side. Right now one of them is reading 40% and the other is 44%. So understand that hygrometers will get you close but there is a margin of error.

I suspect the best practice is to use 3 hygrometers and go with the majority reading, or perhaps averaging them. But having 2 of them seems a little OCD, and 3 seems like I'd be completely capitulating to my OCD nature.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
...It will respond with RH from wherever your local temp is read from.

Of course your house may be a bit lower, as you may have a furnace burning.

But will get you in the ball park...
Depends on where you live, if you leave windows open, heating, etc. Right now the RH outside my house is over 80%. Inside its under 50%. Hygrometers are cheap.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:20 PM

Sorry to take a while in getting back here, we had a busy day today.

You've given me a lot to think about and some great suggestions, thank you!
Now that I know about this, I'll definitely take precautions against it from here on out.

So 50% RH is what I want to shoot for. I understand wood drying out and splitting, but I don't understand how I never made the connection with my guitars. I'm assuming high RH and the wood swelling can cause issues, too.

Thank you very much for educating me on the subject. You've all been a big help and I really appreciate it.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dread View Post
...So 50% RH is what I want to shoot for. I understand wood drying out and splitting, but I don't understand how I never made the connection with my guitars....
Right. Yamaha recommends 45±5%. That is pretty much the range most manufacturers quote. But I wouldn't be too picky about it. Even ±10% shouldn't be an issue. When the RH gets above 50% or so your guitar might start sounding "tubby". And, yes, high humidity reportedly can cause structural issues, though I've never experienced that.

And don't feel bad about not making the connection. I never heard about it until I bought a guitar from a dedicated guitar shop.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
The reason I came to forums like this was because my cheap guitars were succumbing to heat stress and those dry winters you spoke off. Even though it was a laminated, my old Takamine suffered from pointy feet ends, bridge lift and separating back binding from a degrading neck angle. GAS was just a by product.

The reason your Yamaha is not coming apart is because they are well put together guitars. How are the frets though? Every winter my guitar would let my hands know it was at least time to oil the fretboard.
Good call. I noticed a sharp fret end the other day that wasn't there a few days before. I hadn't given it a thought while playing earlier, but after reading your post, I realized that it wasn't an issue today. The humidifier must be helping.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesses View Post
I use a sponge in a zip bag with holes in it and distilled water. I don't know what that costs but its close to zero. I live in Colorado where the humidy in general ranges from 0-40%. Right now its 25% in my guitar room which is normal. And I've never had a problem.

My main rules are as follows.
1) store the guitar in its case
2) keep the guitar away from heated/ac vents (and away from open windows when its cold)
3) keep guitars away from direct sun and stored in the closet or under the bed etc.
4) any new to me guitar gets "overhumidified" at first and then is gradually allowed to acclimate to the normal schedule over months.

I used to be a lot more paranoid thanks to this forum. I think its better to start off paranoid than be disappointed by a cracked guitar. Anyway, I've become much more lax with the sponges. On my martin you can physically see and feel the ripples in the grain as it dries. My biggest scare was one time during a wet spell. We get a good 2 week soak every 5 years or so and my guitars were starting to bulge due to natural humidy + sponge and I hadn't realized it. Now when its going to be rainy for more than 2 days I pull the sponges ahead of the storm.

I forgot to add I have the heating vent blocked off in the guitar room and when I'm in there the window is always at least a little cracked unless its below 0. You can look up the sponge/baggy humidifier on youtube just remember to use distilled water. If you run a wood stove you can put an old junky pot on with water to humidify too.
GREAT advice. Don't over think it. A little preemptive attention is all you need.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Right. Yamaha recommends 45±5%. That is pretty much the range most manufacturers quote. But I wouldn't be too picky about it. Even ±10% shouldn't be an issue. When the RH gets above 50% or so your guitar might start sounding "tubby". And, yes, high humidity reportedly can cause structural issues, though I've never experienced that.

And don't feel bad about not making the connection. I never heard about it until I bought a guitar from a dedicated guitar shop.
Thank you and for the link, as well.

Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate every one.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:17 AM

I want to let everybody know that an AGF member has very generously offered to send me a gig bag for my guitar. I offered to pay for it, but they refused. They're doing it soely to help out a fellow guitar player. How cool is that?

They wish to remain nameless, which says even more about them, but I wanted you all to know about it.

Thank you again my friend, I appreciate it more than you know.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I want to let everybody know that an AGF member has very generously offered to send me a gig bag for my guitar. I offered to pay for it, but they refused. They're doing it soely to help out a fellow guitar player. How cool is that?

They wish to remain nameless, which says even more about them, but I wanted you all to know about it.

Thank you again my friend, I appreciate it more than you know.
Just goes to show what a great place this is. I did read where someone put a sponge in a baggie to put in a case. You can get a soap dish a Walmart for a couple of bucks. Using a 1/4 inch drill bit 3 rows of 5 hole in the top. 5 holes across the back and front and three on each end. Put this in the gig bag and check it everyday. When dry damp it again.

Won't last as long as if it were in a case but every little bit helps.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 12-02-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
Just goes to show what a great place this is. I did read where someone put a sponge in a baggie to put in a case. You can get a soap dish a Walmart for a couple of bucks. Using a 1/4 inch drill bit 3 rows of 5 hole in the top. 5 holes across the back and front and three on each end. Put this in the gig bag and check it everyday. When dry damp it again.

Won't last as long as if it were in a case but every little bit helps.
That's my method (drilled soapdish). Be sure to use distilled water if you can and leave it damp not soaked. Check often.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Or get a Kyser Lifeguard Guitar Humidifier which covers the soundhole of the guitar. Very effective in keeping the guitar hydrated.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:45 PM

I asked Sharon to pick up a soap dish and sponge at the Dollar Store when she went into town today. I drilled holes in it as recommended, put the wet sponge in it, and I have it and my guitar in a closet. I still need to get a hygrometer so I know where I'm at humidity wise, but I feel a lot better about things now. Thinking ahead, I'll need a dehumidifier next summer, too.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 12-04-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Good call. I noticed a sharp fret end the other day that wasn't there a few days before. I hadn't given it a thought while playing earlier, but after reading your post, I realized that it wasn't an issue today. The humidifier must be helping.
Glad I could help, though I see my previous post was fraught with typos as it was tapped in on my iPhone and it likes to me make come across as illiterate.

FWIW having a humidifier in your practice room is also good for your respiratory system and your skin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion