The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2021, 07:13 PM

It happened to me as well. I finally got a D18 last year and never connected. I loved the sound but there was something missing. Sold it 6 months later for a hundred bucks less and was ok with the renters fee at the end of the day.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Maybe a 00-18? IMO, Martin 00s are pretty swell.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:27 PM

I had the same happen with my hd-28. As much as I thought I’d like it, I never seem to pick it up over my others. I much prefer my Guild that was a fraction of the cost.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:27 PM

The real trick is learning to only buy guitars that you have already connected with.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:46 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
The real trick is learning to only buy guitars that you have already connected with.
That’s great for those of you who live in major metro areas with lots of guitar shops. But for those of us in rural areas the old try-before-you-buy axiom is extremely hard to hold to.

Old 12-03-2021, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

Yes, ordered one ltd ed I couldn't play before buying. Nothing wrong with it per se, but the tone just didn't do enough for me. It never inspired me to play and I did play it a fair amount for 18 months to make sure....eventually sold it for about what I paid.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

Agree you should decide based on your preferences.
I will say I have almost parted with a guitar only to find a niche for it in my collection.

2022 Taylor 714ce, 2020 Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe, 2013 Martin D-16GT, 1980 Yamaha FG-335
Old 12-04-2021, 01:31 AM
Charter Member

Like some others, I’m attempting to bond with my newest guitar - and only my 2nd in 41 years. After spending a LOT of time on this forum reading the accolades of various brands and realizing that, chronologically this was most likely my “last hurrah”, bought an Eastman E20 TC. As much as I love my ‘78 Takamine F370 SH, the sounds/tones/action are an apple/oranges comparison. While the E20 blows me away, physically the C neck is problematic and I’m still attempting to adjust to this neck. Have gotten some good advice from fellow AGFers (too many other options out there & neck shave to mention 2) one of my many faults is not knowing when to quit. As this is a new acquisition, and realizing the Tak muscle
memory will take time to adjust, I’m determined to give it some more time. But I still really enjoy the bond I experience every time I pick up that Tak - even if it doesn’t sound as good as the E20.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
That’s great for those of you who live in major metro areas with lots of guitar shops. But for those of us in rural areas the old try-before-you-buy axiom is extremely hard to hold to.
I lived in Alaska for 20 years, so I will see your "isolated" and raise you... <G>

But seriously, you make my point, which is learning to quickly evaluate an instrument. How does the neck fit my hand. Do I like the tone? Does the playing characteristic of the instrument fit the style of music that I want to play. That all holds true irregardless of if you are buying online or have taken a $400 flight to Seattle or Portland or done a weekend road trip to Denver or Albuquerque.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:45 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I lived in Alaska for 20 years, so I will see your "isolated" and raise you... &lt;G&gt;

But seriously, you make my point, which is learning to quickly evaluate an instrument. How does the neck fit my hand. Do I like the tone? Does the playing characteristic of the instrument fit the style of music that I want to play. That all holds true irregardless of if you are buying online or have taken a $400 flight to Seattle or Portland or done a weekend road trip to Denver or Albuquerque.

Alaska! Yep, you win. I’ve never been a quick evaluator. It takes me days to really know a guitar well enough to decide whether it’s staying. That’s why I buy from AGF sponsors with generous return policies and AGF friends I know and trust.

Old 12-04-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Alaska! Yep, you win.
They always get to win, those Alaskans.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
They always get to win, those Alaskans.
Everything's bigger in Alaska...
Old 12-04-2021, 02:26 PM

My D18 seems to be sensitive to humidity and strings so I've had moments with it where I could have sold it. One set of strings I had seemed to kill the tone. Or maybe it was too much moisture in the air? I guess it's true for almost all guitars though. It's a 2016 and definitely has gone through the changes wood guitars go through in the aging process. Now it seems to be the one I'm most bonded with.

If you never really clicked with it though, then it's probably not for you and you'll have no problem finding a buyer to take it off your hands.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Maybe a 00-18? IMO, Martin 00s are pretty swell.
I just traded for a 000-18. I'm hopeful. I just don't think I am a dread guy. I thought about a 00-18, but thought the triple might be a bit closer to the sound I'm after.
Gibson A4 Mandolin (1913)
Old 12-06-2021, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Alaska! Yep, you win. I’ve never been a quick evaluator. It takes me days to really know a guitar well enough to decide whether it’s staying.
You seem like a quick study to me. Sometimes it takes me a couple years to decide…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion