The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-04-2021, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke_guitarist View Post
I'm looking to purchase my first acoustic guitar and I have narrowed it down to the fender cc-60s and the yamaha fs800. I have watched countless videos on each and they both seem great but I was wondering what the necks feel like? I don't have the option to go out and try them as i live in in very rual area and Being an electric player I am worried about how comfortable they are. The acoustics I have been able to try have had huge necks compared to my electrics so any input will be helpful. thanks!

You could order both online from a reputable dealer with a lengthy trial period and return the one you don’t want.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:05 AM

I think the people have spoken!

I just want to welcome you to the forum and invite you to stick around.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 12-04-2021, 07:40 AM

Welcome aboard.

Have you considered a Yamaha?
(once again, my lame at humor)

As Brooklyn Bob just wrote, it appears you have plenty of information about how AGF members view the 2 choices you are considering, but I wanted to say howdy.

btw, I too would recommend the Yamaha.

Last edited by woodbox; 12-04-2021 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:48 AM

I love and own Fender electric guitars and basses. When I was much younger I had a Fender acoustic for a while, it was a merely-OK guitar.

Without playing these two at the same time, I’d trust Yamaha more. Acoustic guitars are not necessarily Fender’s strength.
Basses
Electric guitars
Lap steel
Old 12-04-2021, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the Forum, and Yamaha.
Don’t forget to post pics once you get your new guitar.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 12-04-2021, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

I have an FG800 and am not familiar with the Fender except seeing it at Amazon. I see the Fender has a strap button at the heel. The Yamaha does not. One could be added any time. I tied my strap to the headstock with a leather boot lace and that works just fine. My other guitars have strap buttons at the heel and that works fine, too.

I chose the Yamaha over several more expensive guitars - it was that good. I probably played some Fenders among the dozens of guitars I tried before settling on the FG800. You asked about the Yamaha neck. I find it very comfortable - not very thick at all. When new it was a little grainy compared to my more expensive guitars' necks. I rubbed it with some OOOO steel wool and it smoothed out nicely.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 12-04-2021, 06:48 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Yamaha. It will have a livelier sound than the Fender.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:54 PM

Welcome to the forum! It appears that you're having one of those (yam)aha moments!
Old 12-04-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
Welcome to the forum! It appears that you're having one of those (yam)aha moments!
Ha! Yes I'd recommend the Yamaha too. Excellent track record and should bring you much joy.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:25 PM

If you can swing the extra money my choice would be a Yamaha FS830. I haven't played a FS820 but I suspect it would be nice also.

I fine the difference between my FG800 and FS830 to be worth the extra cost.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybrook View Post
If you can swing the extra money my choice would be a Yamaha FS830. I haven't played a FS820 but I suspect it would be nice also.

I fine the difference between my FG800 and FS830 to be worth the extra cost.
There's a saying among mandolin players - Skip your 2nd mandolin and go straight to your 3rd mandolin.

The FG800 is a $220 guitar. The best you'll be able to say about any guitar at that price point is "It's a guitar."

The FS830 is a $340 guitar, which is still an entry-level beginner acoustic guitar. In all probability a NICER entry-level beginner acoustic guitar, but still an entry-level beginner acoustic guitar none the less.

IMO OP should take the extra $120 that he might have spent on the FS830 and put it in a jar. And another $20 any time you can.

Six months from now you'll either love playing acoustic guitar and be desperate for a better acoustic guitar than the FG800, or you won't care at all because you realized you aren't really an acoustic guitar player and you very much prefer electric guitars.

Either way, it's the $600-800 dollar mark where guitars start getting NICE. Once you've got that much in your jar then you can get yourself a lifetime guitar like an Epiphone Inspired By Gibson J-45 or Hummingbird. Or an Epiphone Inspired By Gibson figured maple ES-335 or '59 Les Paul.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 12-04-2021, 10:26 PM

Well, that shocks me a bit. But I have another take - being poor I have bought a number of cheap guitars on the used market, a pawn shop even, and Craig's list and eBay. Generally good results with $40-$50 guitars, and up to about $140. They may need a bit of basic adjustment which I have have learnt to do, or a local tech can take care of.

You might look for Ovation guitars, common on the used market, with good build quality and neck dimensions much favored by electric players. - lbg
Old 12-04-2021, 11:07 PM

Happen to have an FS800 and it's a fantastic little guitar.

The neck is actually quite similar to an electric - it's small and easy to wrap your hand around. So much so that string spacing might be an issue for those with chubby fingers but I've found it very comfortable.

As far as first guitars go, you can't really go wrong with an FS/FG.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:32 PM

Do yourself a favor and go for the ‘820 or ‘830 series. I’d recommend the FS820 at least anyways (it’s really a great model and has a lot going for it). It’s a better guitar than the newer FS800, in both quality and sound. I know a lot of folks are going to tell you different, but that’s my experience from having owned and playing all three of them I use to support the FS800 when they first came out, but they’ve cut corners and gotten cheaper in quality.

Anyways that’s my two cents, take it for what it’s worth. Good luck with whichever one you decide to go with.

And here’s a photo of my Yamaha FS820 and FS830:

Old 12-05-2021, 05:16 AM

The tuning pegs on the Yamaha are much better. The Yamaha F series necks aren't as slim as some guitars necks, but as others have said, they are by no means chunky. The scalloped bracing on the Yamaha makes it have a much fuller sound. I vote Yamaha. (And my first acoustic guitar was a Fender, because it said "Fender" on the headstock)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion