The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-23-2018, 08:28 AM

Default Bose S1 Pro vs. Fishman loudbox mini charge

Hi all, first post here 🙂

I'm looking for an acoustic amp for small gigs/busking. I won't need much power (40w should be plenty) and I narrowed down my choices to two amps - the Bose S1 and the loudbox mini charge. This is my first and possibly the only acoustic amplifier I'll be getting, so I wanted to ask if anyone had the chance to A/B them in terms of sound. I see that the S1 pro is often compared to the AER compact 60 (which is definitely a better amp than the loudbox mini), so I was wondering if it is much better than the fishman loudbox. My only concern with it is that it's a multi-purpose sound system, and not a dedicated acoustic amp, like the loudbox mini charge. Would the Bose be suitable as a main amplifier for the acoustic guitar? At the moment I'm more impressed by the S1 pro, but this is all based on reviews and I won't be able to give it a demo (I've tried the loudbox mini and AER compact).
Any input is appreciated!
Old 06-23-2018, 11:01 AM

There are several threads here with a/b testimonies ... just search for specifics. In my case the S1 was returned for the Mini Charge and I don’t regret it for a second. YMMV
Old 06-23-2018, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

I have not been able to A/B the two since nobody local to me carries the Bose in stock. So, I read reviews and researched. My needs are probably similar to yours.

I already owned a Loudbox Mini and knew what it was capable of. So, I traded the Mini in for a Mini Charge. Right now, Fishman is offering the carry case for the Charge for free through an online rebate. The Bose might be a slightly better sounding amp, but everything I have read tends to say the difference in tone is fairly minimal. If you had the two side by side you might hear it, but I doubt a small crowd would tell much of a difference. So, by buying the Fishman I get to save $100 and get a free cover/carry case.

I like that the controls on the Fishman are on the front and easy to work with. You can see them while playing and reach down and adjust as needed. The Bose can be placed on a stand and can be angled up if needed. But, for what I have planned, I really don't see that as being necessary.

So, I went with the Charge and I have been quite happy with that choice so far. I haven't busked with it yet, but in listening to it while practicing, I'm quite happy with what I am hearing.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

First, welcome to the AGF. Second, sorry about your wallet!

I have the Bose and love it. I've never played the Mini Charge but I did have the regular mini and it was great. I think it depends on your source and what have/want for guitar pickup systems and pedals.

The Bose has minimal onboard EQ. Just hi and low, no mids, and reverb. So in my case I needed something to provide greater EQ abilities plus other needed things like a harmony pedal, notch, looper, etc. I got all that with the addition of a Boss VE-8.

The Mini Charge will have great EQ abilities and more effects and whatnot on board, negating the need for more pedals unless you need/want things like a looper or harmonies, etc.

I would say that if plan on adding things that you need/want/like anyway then the Bose is a great system. But if you're looking for just everything to be onboard then the Mini Charge might be the way to go.

I would be helpful to know what your guitar/pickup is, as well as your playing style. If you play with a pick or have an onboard (the guitar) pickup system that has some EQ/boost/notch features that allows you to tailor your tone then Bose is terrific. If you have a K&K (like I do) then you'll likely need more. Really only you will ultimately know.

If you click on my Bose S1 Pro link below it will take you to an in-depth video review I did where you can see the limitations of the guitar tone with the K&K and my style of playing (fingerstyle).
Old 06-23-2018, 12:56 PM

For the past 2-3 months I've been reading up every online review and opinion as well as videos on the Bose S1 Pro, the Fishman Mini Charge and the Mackie Freeplay trying to decide which one to buy.

There's a almost like cult following on the Bose and there must be some good reasons. For every positive review on the Charge, there're at least twice as many on the Bose. For those who have hands on experience on both, the opinions are almost split in halves.

I was ready to pony up for the Bose S1 ($750 vs $700 for the Charge in Canada) when I came across this fantastic deal where someone was selling a Charge which he won as a door price. I was able to get the charge for about half of what it would cost to get the Bose S1, and it was a no brainer and too good of a deal to pass up on.

The Freeplay was a serious contender but apparently there's a issue with the mic gain that requires a separate preamp or mixer. Also the new Live version won't be available until July.

For my short experience with the Charge, I've found it sounding in medium to low volumes as good or better than my experiences with K10, Carvin AG300, Mackie srm450 and ev zxa1. I have yet to test it in live gigs.

If I ever come across as a good deal on the Bose, I'm sure I'll have no hesitation to grab it, for no better reason than just to see what the hype is all about lol.

I'm pretty sure you'll be very happy with either. Worst case scenario you just return it and get the other.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

I've posted on the other threads. For context, I've been gigging a Bose L1 Compact for a few years and love it. I was fully predisposed to prefer the Bose S1 Pro and prepared to love it.

In short, I didn't love it. I thought the Fishman LB Mini Charge sounded way more natural on acoustic guitar. And I compared using my personal Martin D-18 w/Baggs Anthem PU. Great sounding guitar and I know what it's capable of. The Fishman LB Mini Charge instantly was delivering a natural musical sound.

I struggled to get a natural acoustic some from the Bose S1 side-by-side. I tried using its EQ, changing the switch to Tonematch or off. (Tonematch setting sounded best) But it still had a somewhat unnatural nasal, strident upper midrange/ treble sound that I didn't like. I had the Bose S1 on the floor and tried it in its various configurations (Straight up and down, Angled as a monitor, tilted) The only thing I didn't do was put it on a stand. Maybe it sounds best on a Stand, but if I have to carry a Stand, I may as well just bring the Bose L1 Compact that I already own. Its easy to move. (Just doesn't have a battery, or reverb)

I've read many say the Bose S1 sounds better on vocals. That's probably true. I have since gigged with my LB Mini Charge and its acceptable on Vocals, but nothing to write home about.

I LOVE the heavy padded Bag for the Mini Charge. Very well constructed and essential (IMO).

Here is the demo Video I made of the LB Mini Charge using my Martin D-18 w/Baggs Anthem. I made this video before the Bose S1 was unboxed to compare directly.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 06-23-2018, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post

I've read many say the Bose S1 sounds better on vocals. That's probably true. I have since gigged with my LB Mini Charge and its acceptable on Vocals, but nothing to write home about.

I LOVE the heavy padded Bag for the Mini Charge. Very well constructed and essential (IMO).
Well, it certainly sounds awesome! Great playing too!!

Did the heavy padded bag come with it?
Old 06-23-2018, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Well, it certainly sounds awesome! Great playing too!!

Did the heavy padded bag come with it?
The heavy bag was part of a promo thru the end of may. It came with the same shipment then. I think it may be a promo valid through the end of the year if memory serves me correctly? But you might have to mail in and get it after the fact. Don't quote me on that.

and thank you for the nice compliment. ;-)
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 06-23-2018, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

The promo is through August I think and yes it requires filling out a form online and uploading your receipt. Mine hasn't arrived, but it has been shipped.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:14 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I play mainly percussive strumming / fingerstyle on a Taylor 314c with a fishman ellipse blend. I don't have any pedals other than a tc hall of fame reverb, so maybe the loudbox will be a better choice? And unfortunately I can't get the free padded bag for the loudbox (I live in Australia).. Apparently they don't ship it overseas 😒
Old 06-23-2018, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

I own a Loudbox Mini (non-Charge) and an S1. I also have another battery powered amp, so I appreciate the "grab and go" aspect of the battery operation. I haven't tried a Charge, but assuming the regular Mini and the Charge sound the same, I prefer the sound (especially vocal) and versatility (usable positions, nice built-in handle) with the S1. That said, for a small amp, either one is a decent choice. It really isn't like one is SO much better than the other.

I use either one plugged direct into my Bose L1C and really like what either small amp adds to the Compact.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:18 AM

Default New to amplification

I have my first Taylor enroute so I need an amp and cable that works well with their ES system. Based purely on the many outstanding reviews, I ordered the Fishman mini and a Mogami Gold 18’ cable.

Will this be a good combo for the Taylor?

Also, regarding the mini, when it claims 60W, I assume that means 30W/channel, not 60W if used with guitar alone?
Old 06-24-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Also, regarding the mini, when it claims 60W, I assume that means 30W/channel, not 60W if used with guitar alone?
It is a mono design (unlike some of the confusing Quilter specs) and it is 60 Loudbox Mini watts with guitar alone. There is so much "specsmanship" in power claims these days (polite made up word for not quite lies -- I'm an electrical engineer) it's hard to know what watts mean except to compare products in the same product line from the same manufacturer (and you need at least twice the power to be really noticeable). But rest assured as I own a Mini Charge, it is not as loud as a 50 watt Marshal Stack and not as wimpy as a 50 watt Roland Cube Street EX.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 06-24-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
I have my first Taylor enroute so I need an amp and cable that works well with their ES system. Based purely on the many outstanding reviews, I ordered the Fishman mini and a Mogami Gold 18’ cable.

Will this be a good combo for the Taylor?

I think you will find that the Mini is an excellent choice for your Taylor. And don't worry, the Mini gets plenty LOUD!
Old 06-24-2018, 07:57 AM

When my one friend came over with his Loudbox Mini Charge to compare it to my Bose S1 Pro, the next day he took back his Fishman and ordered the S1. We tested them outside at tennis court complex when nobody was there and pushed them both to their limits.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
amps, bose, busking, fishman, loudbox