The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2017, 12:01 PM

Default Need help choosing strings or any other tips about pickups

Hey guys! I'm new here

I recently got a used Cort Earth 200 dreadnought guitar. However the strings are really hard and painful on my fingers. I have been playing for many years but the strings were much stiffer compared to others I have played.

I have tried some taylors and martins and they are always such a joy to strum and the strings feel much softer and smoother. What strings should I change to on my guitar. I was looking towards the Martin lifespan strings.

Secondly, this guitar also does not come with a pickup system installed. I am interested in getting a good pickup for this guitar, and I saw some soundhole pickups. What's good out there that's affordable and delivers quality.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-23-2017, 01:33 PM

Soundhole pick-ups are magnetic, not acoustic, so you'll be picking up the sound of the strings alone without the build component that makes them sound like they're from an acoustic guitar. Most now have an embedded circuit that filters the frequencies to give them a sound that more closely emulates an acoustic guitar. But, it's a factory-stock sound that's the same regardless of the guitar the pick-up is used on. So, go cheap if it's a mag pup. Given the choices I'd stay with a mag pup due to low-to-zero feed back and the ability to go direct to the amp without a preamp in the chain. Sound-wise, you'll do okay. The mag pup performance is much less finicky than other sources and usually balance easily at the amp.

On the string versus feel aspect I couldn't tell you. Just change them out to a set you're used to and see how that goes. If they're still uncomfortable I'd wager you need a set-up.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:37 PM

Are you sure it's the strings that's the issue? Could it be high action at the nut?
If not, then maybe you had some cheap strings put on. Just swap em out.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:55 PM

Thanks a lot for your reply @Pitar. I saw some seymor duncan woody acoustic pickups. But the one issue i have with those is that the cable is connected to the pickup, which means if the cable fails on me one day, the entire pickup system is as good as trash.

The one issue with the strings I have is I have played for a long time, but I have never changed my strings. I have only bought budget strings once to change on my other guitar. So I have no knowledge about strings. I am also pretty sure the action on my guitar is decent because the strings feel awfully stiff.
The link below shows an image of the action on my guitar

https://imgur.com/a/tXvZ7
Old 11-23-2017, 02:05 PM

Welcome to the AGF - Try this link, scan down to the bottom of the page and check out my step-by-step instructions how I post pictures on the AGF with imgur.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=488616&page=2

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-23-2017, 02:24 PM

Last edited by Scissure; 11-23-2017 at 05:51 PM. Reason: picture's too big
Old 11-23-2017, 02:27 PM

You just need to resize - picture is too big.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 11-23-2017, 02:51 PM

Strings? Round core make them feel lighter than they are. Try DR Sunbeams. Love them on my D35

Pickup?
In the acoustic world you hear a lot about LR Baggs and K&K and Fishman, but one over-looked, highly regarded brand in the electric world is Seymour Duncan.

I was in a similar dilemma. I had three non-electrified acoustics and didn't want a permanent installation on any. I didn't want to spend much and research pointed me to the Seymour Duncan Wood XL pickup. If you go magnetic you want one with adjustable pole pieces. They help balance and EQ and while SD makes two other Woody models without pole pieces I am so glad I went with the XL. I shortened the 14' cord to about 3' with a female jack on the end so I can use any regular guitar cable. I have since added a L.R. Baggs GigPro preamp for $85 (discounted) and am in pretty good shape. I tape the cord coming out of the pickup to the pickguard with gaffers tape to keep it out of the way. $69... A very good pickup for small $$.
https://www.amazon.com/Seymour-Dunca...words=woody+XL

A more advanced pickup in the SD line is the MagMic. It' is a magnetic pickup combined with a microphone. At $190 it puts it in competition with some of the "big boys". The reviews are very good and IMO worth a consideration. What I like about the Woody is that like the K&K pure mini I don't have to worry about an internal battery. Not so with the MagMic and other similar piakcups

https://www.amazon.com/Seymour-Dunca.../dp/B0002GL0LU

Anyway, here is a photo of my pickup on my Alvarez Yairi...
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-23-2017, 05:49 PM

@vindibona1 Thank you very much for the tips. Just wondering, How did you shorten the cable from 14' to 3? Did you cut the cable or something?

Thanks a lot
Old 11-23-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
You just need to resize - picture is too big.
Yup i figured haha, i updated the picture
I am going Tom Lee this weekend to get a new set of strings. Looking towards d'addarios or Martin strings. Any particular set I should look out for if I want ease of playability

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2017, 06:07 PM

You got the picture worked out, well done.

Best way to measure action/string height that people can relate with is to use a ruler on the 12th fret, something like this;

or if you're outside the USA and live in Metric World;

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61

Last edited by Brucebubs; 11-23-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scissure View Post
Yup i figured haha, i updated the picture
I am going Tom Lee this weekend to get a new set of strings. Looking towards d'addarios or Martin strings. Any particular set I should look out for if I want ease of playability

Thanks!
This is a nice little article Graham Coxon wrote about Bert Jansch...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/mu...tions-festival

...notice the reference to the lighter strings. Bert used Martin 80/20 bronze 11-52, which aren't quite as light as the article suggests but they are lighter on your fingers than the 'standard' 12-53, without compromising too much in loss of tone (I personally use Elixir 11-52 and feel no need whatsoever to change to a heavier string as they are perfect for the way I play, but that was after years of experimenting, and were all different).

Also, I'm not sure how long you've been playing it you could always start 'lighter' and if you ever feel the need shift up a gauge it's always worth a try. Just remember there's pros and cons:

Heavier generally means better tone, less rattle but a little more strength required.

Lighter generally means a little less tone, maybe the odd rattle (depending on how the guitars set up) it slightly easier to play and even bend if that's your thing.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:18 PM

Thank you very much for the tips. I did a measurement and mine was around 3mm. How is that?
Old 11-23-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie View Post
This is a nice little article Graham Coxon wrote about Bert Jansch...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/mu...tions-festival

...notice the reference to the lighter strings. Bert used Martin 80/20 bronze 11-52, which aren't quite as light as the article suggests but they are lighter on your fingers than the 'standard' 12-53, without compromising too much in loss of tone (I personally use Elixir 11-52 and feel no need whatsoever to change to a heavier string as they are perfect for the way I play, but that was after years of experimenting, and were all different).

Also, I'm not sure how long you've been playing it you could always start 'lighter' and if you ever feel the need shift up a gauge it's always worth a try. Just remember there's pros and cons:

Heavier generally means better tone, less rattle but a little more strength required.

Lighter generally means a little less tone, maybe the odd rattle (depending on how the guitars set up) it slightly easier to play and even bend if that's your thing.
Thank you for your links. I am generally just playing in my room for my own entertainment. So I just want a set of strings that is as comfortable as the Martin guitars I have tried that would make me continue strumming and playing that guitar haha.

I have also heard that thicker gauge strings require more tension, thus making it harder. So does it mean that if I have lower gauge strings, my guitar will last longer due to less tension on the body and the neck?

Thanks
Old 11-24-2017, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scissure View Post
Thank you for your links. I am generally just playing in my room for my own entertainment. So I just want a set of strings that is as comfortable as the Martin guitars I have tried that would make me continue strumming and playing that guitar haha.

I have also heard that thicker gauge strings require more tension, thus making it harder. So does it mean that if I have lower gauge strings, my guitar will last longer due to less tension on the body and the neck?

Thanks
The difference between a set of, say, 12s (which your really not going to want to go heavier than) and 11s will be extremely negligible so no need to be concerned about that.

The scale length of your guitar, that is, the actual length on the part of the strings that vibrates (from the nut to the bridge) will make a big difference. For example, I have a Fender Jaguar that has a scale length of 24" (good for smaller hands) and I use heavier strings on that, because the vibrating length is shorter and thinner strings would be too loose (for me at least). I also have a Fender Jazzmaster, which is 25.5" and I use slightly lighter strings on that because it's longer and therefore the strings are tighter.

So, just for comparison reasons, I use a 25.5" scale length acoustic with 11-52 gauge strings - not too tight, not too slack (I hate it when strings rattle against the frets!), but again, that's what I settled on after years of experimenting.

Action/string height wise, I aim for 2.5mm on the low E and 1.75mm on the high E, which I find gives me exactly what I want - nice tension, playability, and no rattles!

Good luck

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, dreadnought, guitar, martin, strings