The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-31-2016, 03:41 AM

Default Gibson Masterbuilt Premium 80/20 Lights

I recently bought a J-45 Standard (2016), and yesterday I was looking forward to put on my favourite strings to make the guitar sound even better. I removed the Gibson Masterbuilt Premium 80/20 Lights that came from the factory, and installed the Elixir Phosphor Bronze Nanoweb .012-.053.

It is safe to say that I could not believe my ears, as I felt the sound got worse with the new strings. Where did the mellow and full-bodied tone of the guitar go?

The strings that worked great on my old Martin, were far from ideal on my J-45. I pulled the Elixir strings straight off, and put on the additional Premium 80/20 set that came with the Gibson case.

Well, for now, I guess I'll stick with the Premium 80/20, as they suit my tonal preferences. The fact that they cost $8.29 here in Norway, compared to the $25.13 Elixir strings, makes me smile too!

Any other Gibson Masterbuilt 80/20 fans out there, other than me?

Last edited by tev87; 08-31-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:49 AM

I also love Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze 12s, any other strings I try "feel" archaic to me now. I wonder how the 80/20 bronze Nanowebs would go on your Gibson?
Old 08-31-2016, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Recard View Post
I also love Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze 12s, any other strings I try "feel" archaic to me now. I wonder how the 80/20 Nanowebs would go on your Gibson?
I will definately look into them! Thanks for the tip
Old 08-31-2016, 04:04 AM

I just had a squiz at Elixir's website and they have 80/20 in nanoweb and polyweb. Here's what they say about the difference.

"What's the difference between NANOWEB® and POLYWEB® Coatings?

The difference between our coating "flavors" lies in the tone and feel. Elixir Strings with NANOWEB Coating sound and feel more like traditional, uncoated strings. They are bright and lively, and the coating is so thin that you can barely tell it's there.

Elixir Strings with POLYWEB Coating have a warm, "played-in" tone.

While our POLYWEB and NANOWEB Coatings differ in tone and feel, both offer a smooth feel, reduce finger squeak, and deliver extended tone life.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

So many Gibson slope owners change the strings and saddle quickly upon ownership, only to change them back. A common experience!

The strings that work best for my J50 are also masterbilt 80/20s, as well as EJ16s, and Martin Retro lights (after a week).

Enjoy your new guitar!
Old 08-31-2016, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tev87 View Post
I recently bought a J-45 Standard (2016), and yesterday I was looking forward to put on my favourite strings to make the guitar sound even better. I removed the Gibson Masterbuilt Premium 80/20 Lights that came from the factory, and installed the Elixir Phosphor Bronze Nanoweb .012-.053.

It is safe to say that I could not believe my ears, as I felt the sound got worse with the new strings. Where did the mellow and full-bodied tone of the guitar go?

The strings that worked great on my old Martin, were far from ideal on my J-45. I pulled the Elixir strings straight off, and put on the additional Premium 80/20 set that came with the Gibson case.

Well, for now, I guess I'll stick with the Premium 80/20, as they suit my tonal preferences. The fact that they cost $8.29 here in Norway, compared to the $25.13 Elixir strings, makes me smile too!

Any other Gibson Masterbuilt 80/20 fans out there, other than me?
When I bought my J45 a few years ago I tried different strings to try and one up the strings that came stock on the guitar and after trying several brands of strings I came to the realization that the Masterbuilts sound the best and I've been using them ever since. The only other string that I thought sounded almost as good was DR Rares and I recently tried the Rare's again but I still like the Masterbuilts better.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:30 AM

Had the same thing happen to me with my Froggy C Adi over EIR. It came to me with 80-20's on it. I had it set up and it came back with PB's. The sound was mushy and the sparkle and reverb were gone. Put a set of Nanoweb 80- 20's on it and it was better than ever. All y other guitars have PB's on them, but this one needs the 80 - 20's. A big, big difference.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:38 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Just the opposite experience for me. I love the sound and feel of Elixir PB Lights on both my 45 and Songwriter. But go with the strings that sound good to you. It's just a matter of personal taste.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
So many Gibson slope owners change the strings and saddle quickly upon ownership, only to change them back. A common experience!

The strings that work best for my J50 are also masterbilt 80/20s, as well as EJ16s, and Martin Retro lights (after a week).

Enjoy your new guitar!
I'm with Sal, when I got my J-15 I swapped out the saddle for bone and restrung with some John Pearse bronze lights my favorite strings. I've since went back to the original saddle and Masterbuilt strings and it sounds great. The Masterbuilts are a good string I just wished they lasted longer.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:37 AM

Gibson strings are great. I had the same experience with my J15: I changed the strings with Elixir nanoweb bronze, my favorite strings, and I think that the guitar sounded better with the original Gibsons.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Gibson Masterbuilt Premium 80/20 Lights

I have tried Elixirs multiple times on my J-45 and they always sound terrible. I keep expecting something different to happen and give them another chance . I think from now on I'll just stick to daddario pb's.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

I don't see these Gibson strings on Strings and Beyond, my usual source. Any recommendations as to where to buy these?
Old 08-31-2016, 06:58 AM

Been using those nickel bronze strings recently on my j45. Sounds very natural to me...keeping them on for now..
Old 08-31-2016, 07:08 AM

Same was here.
Elixirs just don't work for me. Cause they make my guitar sound different. In an unacceptable way.
I did enjoy a moment with them, the PB mediums, nano. Worked well when tuned D-d and then they loose the overly accentuated brightness. In other cases I don't like them.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:58 AM

I like the Gibson 80/20s on my j45 rosewood.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
80/20, gibson, strings