The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-23-2018, 04:22 PM

Default Bose S1pro & k&K pickup and other questions

I think I've read most Bose s1 pro threads - so I probably know the answer, but has anybody had a good experience with it and a k&K pickup? I don't have any other way of eqing my guitar, and if I'm going to spend that much on an amp, I'd like it to do everything bar the playing.
In reality, the vocal sound is more important (singer songwriter/ spoken word with backing tracks) otherwise, it seems like the minicharge would be a better choice.
Also, in reality, I don't really need it to be battery powered - but I do like the form factor. Would something like this give me similar or even better quality sound for a lot less money? https://www.thomann.de/ie/ld_systems_mix_6_ag2.htm

My only other experience with an amp is the roland ac60 which I share with a friend (it's got a problem with the mic input now). Would the s1pro be an upgrade from that soundwise or is the difference not significant? Thanks in advance from another user who doesn't have access to a store where I can try these out!
Old 06-23-2018, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

K&K through the Bose depends on your playing style and the guitar to a certain degree. If you play with a pick then the onboard ToneMatch and Hi/Low EQ might be enough. Might. I play fingerstyle without nails and have always had K&K guitars and I ALWAYS need to EQ on every amp I've had.

If it was me and I didn't use the Boss VE-8 I would likely look at the Mini Charge. But the VE-8 gives me the EQ and all the other things I need. If you don't need battery power or the really light weight that opens up your options to a boatload of possibilities.

There is just so many great acoustic amp solutions out there. The Bose just nails it with light weight, portability, batter and it does sound great. But the bar has been set now. The Mini Charge is serious competition and you can bet that other players will be coming out with their solutions very soon. Competition for our hard-earned dollars is a boon for us!
Old 06-24-2018, 02:54 PM

Thanks for replying - my guitar is a larrivee om-3. I usually find it harder to get a nice tone with a pick than fingerpicking, so maybe that will work in my favour. I'm sort of down to the wire as I have a few gigs lined up next month - so hopefully the market doesn't throw up something too brilliant after I purchase
Old 06-24-2018, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

miznomer,
I'm not sure whether this will help you or muddy the waters. I use a wireless system to connect my K & K equipped mandolin to the 1/8 input as I already have guitar and vocals running through the two primary inputs. For this set up I do use the K & K small preamp and this provides me with a great sound. That said, I've tried the mandolin through one of the main inputs with the guitar tonematch on and found I don't need the preamp for good tone. Hope this helps.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:58 PM

On my S1 with my K&K Taylors, I just cut the bass back and add some treble, using the ToneMatch guitar setting. It works for me.
davidc
Old 06-25-2018, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback- I will order it - I have the possibility of returning it if it's not viable for me, I will just be out the return postage which I can consider as a rental fee if need be!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification