The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-23-2018, 03:00 PM

Default Wired IEM "tap"?

Anyone have experience with a wired IEM solution for a small band? I just feel like we could both enjoy our experiences more AND improve our sound if the mix on stage were better.

If we carried around a snake splitter like this: https://www.performanceaudio.com/ite...d-sb06p/35749/

...our stage setup time would be nearly the same and we could feed both the bar or festival sound guy what he needs and feed our own digital mixer like this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tal-rack-mixer

...and have a setup pre-configured to feed a series of wired body packs like these: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...itor-amplifier

In fact, it might actually reduce setup time since the soundguy needn't worry about the monitor mix at all.

Am I crazy?

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 06-23-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:34 PM

By the time you go through all of this and have everyone "wired" in, you may want to just do a wireless IEM. As an alternative, I just posted recently about sending a line out from the amps/board via a low latency bluetooth transmitter (I bought a TROND transmitter off Amazon). Very inexpensive. I also bought a low latency receiver by TROND. I paired the two and then plugged in my BOSE earbuds to the receiver (you have to use stereo earbuds, not those with a mic). The latency, if at all is not noticeable to throw off your timing. So I basically got an IEM for a fraction of the cost. I have not seen any dropout yet but there is that possibility in certain environments.
I just need to hear myself better and need ear protection for my hearing loss problems. This was an inexpensive solution. The TROND Receiver also has volume control so that was pretty cool as well. Now, there is not a lot of gain, but you could remedy that with a small headphone amp if you need more gain.
Or, in the alternative, just buy a relatively inexpensive IEM system with multiple receivers. There are a lot of options now and lots of reviews on less known systems like Pyle on Amazon. You can't go wrong with Shure or AT or other name brands but now they are getting lots of competition.
All good for us.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Wired can be cool too -
davidc
Old 06-26-2018, 09:17 AM

I'd recommend a QSC Touchmix mixer. The Touchmix 8 has two headphone feeds (one for Aux 3/4, and the second for the CUE (which can be assigned to any channel, the main mix, or another Aux)). If you move up to the 16 channel, you get more aux. feeds that can drive headphones.

My duo uses the Touchmix 8, with wired IEMs. My duo partner says it's the best sound/mix he's ever had for his monitor. Additionally, he has an iPad mini and can mix himself...so he's happier, and I don't need to be tweaking his in-ear mix.

With the Touchmix you also get effects, EQ, compressors, etc. for each channel, so no need for other outboard gear.

Good luck!
2023 Cole Clark True Hybrid
Fender Acoustasonic Strat
Line6HX Stomp
BeatBuddy
Boss RC-500
EV Evolve 30M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification