The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-09-2018, 08:00 PM

Default Strings Buzzing? [NEWBIE]

Hello,

I recently took my guitar out of storage and thought to play around with it a bit and maybe try yet again to learn the guitar (It's a cheap Yamaha guitar I got a few years back). As per my dad's instructions, I had loosened all the strings significantly before storage, so when I took it back out I had to tune it up; but when I got it tuned, I discovered that the strings buzzed when I strummed it even with medium strength. Even as recent as this past summer when I had pulled it out to dick around with it for a bit it did not do this. The D string is the worst, but buzzing occurs on almost all strings no matter if I'm holding down my finger on one of the frets or if I'm playing it open.

I've tried adjusting the truss bar. Like I read to do, I only adjusted it 1/4 turn at a time, but I adjusted it lots because it didn't really seem to be doing anything. I also noticed that, as I turned the screw, it was completely loose. It still tightens up if I turn it to the right, but if I turn it to the left, I feel no resistance. Is this how that's supposed to be?

EDIT: I discovered that the reason there was no resistance is because I have a double action truss rod which has a relief point halfway through the turning.

My current theory is that because I mistakenly left the strings loose during storage, the neck has bent backwards. This doesn't entirely explain why the guitar was just fine this last summer after having sat for years, so I think that combined with the fact that it's winter and a relatively cheap guitar has done me in.

My question is: What should I do? What are your thoughts? My current thought is to just let it sit for a few weeks with the strings properly strung and hope the neck moves back to its right position. What should I do with the truss bar (Right now, it's in that very, very lose position I mentioned where the nut just can keep spinning left with very little resistance.)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by cigsandcoffee; 01-13-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:23 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigsandcoffee View Post
My question is: What should I do? What are your thoughts? My current thought is to just let it sit for a few weeks with the strings properly strung and hope the neck moves back to its right position.
Take it to someone who knows what they're doing. Seriously. Randomly tweaking things brought you to where you are, so stop fooling with it and take it to a guitar shop. It's not going to fix itself.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigsandcoffee View Post
Hello,

I've tried raising those knobs on the bridge for the buzzing strings and this didn't work. I've also tried adjusting the truss bar. Now, here's another area where I screwed up. I also noticed that, as I turned the screw, it was completely loose. It still tightens up if I turn it to the right, but if I turn it to the left, I feel no resistance.
I agree completely with Willie's advice, "Take it to someone who knows what they're doing." You need a professional setup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
buzzing, newbie, storage, strings, truss rod