The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-21-2015, 01:29 AM

Default Nylon strings on a Lowden O12 C

Hello all. I've got a Lowden O12 C that I've been thinking about putting Nylon strings on.

I know it's terrible to put steel strings on a guitar set up for Nylon because of neck tension, but I wonder if the opposite is true. I had the action lowered a number of years ago (was spoiled by my Taylor, and LOVE a low action) and now it's gotten to the point where a couple strings are buzzing despite having a D'addario two way humidifier in it 24/7.

So I need to get the action raised regardless and I was thinking that when I had that done I could potentially have some work done to the bracing or whatever if need be so it would work well with nylons.

What kind of sound do you think I could expect if I went this route? Bad idea or worth a try? I don't have money to burn so I wouldn't want to do it just to have to undo it if there's not a decent chance of a good result.

I love my Lowden and would make sure to put it in good hands for the work, but I've been neglecting it since I started playing on Nylon strings and hate the idea of such a beautiful instrument not getting it's due attention.

Thoughts?
Old 07-21-2015, 04:50 AM

Your bridge is slotted for SS, nylon would need less compensation so that wold have to change. Not sure is it would sound all that great. Why not just get some ball end nylon strings and try it? As the strings are wider they will not fit in the nut slots but ride above them. Still good enough to hear what the guitar would sound like with nylon.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:58 AM

Can't imagine it would sound like much of anything. Nylon strings won't drive it to the degree needed. Even modified, I doubt the bracing could be altered enough to change that. Worth mentioning that those modifications will also greatly de-value the guitar to any future buyer

Lowden has made nylon string models so why not sell it as is and search for one of those.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNeffLind View Post
What kind of sound do you think I could expect if I went this route?
Hopeless. Top thickness, bracing etc. is completely different. Nylon strings just won't have enough energy to drive the top.

By all means have a go - a set of strings is all it will cost initially - but I doubt you'd be impressed.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 07-21-2015, 07:33 AM

I've tried nylon strings on an under-built guitar I made.
It sounded terrible.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the input folks. I may end up trying some ball end nylons in there but I'll likely just keep the guitar as is. Didn't realize it'd be such a dramatic difference between the way steel string and nylon string guitars are constructed. I was thinking it'd just be a neck alignment adjustment. Wouldn't want to tamper with the brilliant construction of my Lowden in any meaningful way.

As for resale value or replacing the guitar, I've got a weird thing about selling guitars, as in I don't ever do it. Just seems like bad musical karma for whatever reason. I'll just keep playing a bit of steel string and make a point to break it out a few times a week.

Peace and chicken grease.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
lowden, nylon crossover