The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-16-2011, 11:58 AM

Default Have you seen this style of tapping and is it safe for my guitar?

(also posted in general discussion) --- I'm a huge fan of guys like Andy McKee and Trace Bundy and try to achieve their styles all the time... I recently came across this guy tapping, the song is awesome but I noticed that he gets one of his percussive sounds via a thumb ring hit on the neck of the guitar. First, is this going to damage the guitar or is there a certain specialized type of ring not to? And where can I find more videos or tutorials for this technique? (links appreciated) thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7XnIYaaxhU
Old 12-16-2011, 12:01 PM

that would definitely do damage to the guitar neck, finished or unfinished.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:50 PM

It's going to do a little damage to the guitar, over time.

You will less damage to the guitar if you use a ring made of a wood that's softer than the wood of the neck where you're hitting it. A metal ring would be a bad idea.

It'd expect it to scrape up the finish of the guitar pretty quickly, but I don't necessarily feel like it's doing to do any structural damage. So you have to ask yourself how much you care about how pretty your guitar looks.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:12 AM

Very nice song and playing. I don't see a thumb ring, and listening closely with headphones it sounds like the tap is accentuated with a drum of some sort or other percussive device (wood block?) because the sound pitch and tone remains constant no matter where he appears to be tapping on the neck. The tap sound also moves independently from right to left and back in the stereo field. Try it yourself...the sound changes as you tap at different spots on the neck. There are piano accents as well in this track, so I am confident there is more going on in the audio than is revealed in the video.

BTW - I actually don't wear a wedding band or any other rings anymore because it wore through the finish on the underside of the neck of my favorite guitar years ago.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 12-19-2011, 10:23 AM

I avoid taking any lead from someone who would use a name like "Groove Alchemy".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
fingerstyle guitar, neck, tapping, touchstyle