The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-10-2022, 09:50 AM

Default 000 vs OM soundhole placement?

I am creating my template for a 000 build, trying to get close to the Eric Clapton model. I am working off the Grellier OM plan. I realize that in changing from the 25.4" OM scale to the 24.9" 000 scale, I will have to move the bridge closer to the neck, I can do that math.

My question is, does the soundhole also move towards the neck or are they usually in the same position in the body? Would the bracing move too?
Old 06-10-2022, 11:35 AM

Default a thought

I think the soundhole can be placed anywhere it likes to sit, given the limitations of the fretboard and rosette. Some builders don't want the fretboard to extend into the soundhole, others don't care. So long as the gap in the rosette is managed, they're all good choices. Cosmetics.
Old 06-10-2022, 11:59 AM

A note from the Gore/Gilet books that has stuck with me is that soundholes are 6”/150mm down from the front edge unless you have a very good reason for them not to be.
Old 06-10-2022, 12:44 PM

Default a thought

I'm sure that the dimension quoted works for exactly one guitar shape, at one volume, at one taper front to back. I can't see how it can be universally applied to every guitar design. And what diameter?
Old 06-10-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
A note from the Gore/Gilet books that has stuck with me is that soundholes are 6”/150mm down from the front edge unless you have a very good reason for them not to be.
I think I will either move as far as the scale difference dicates, or not. It's going to be near a quarter inch. I was really looking for what Martin does in this case.
Old 06-10-2022, 04:58 PM

Check your inbox, I sent you a private message about this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair