The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-08-2022, 01:20 PM

Check Active Melody. Lots of fun stuff to play...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKiRxaRGKcU&t=36s
Old 06-09-2022, 06:31 PM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
Poor choice of learning material, that sort of site does not even try to cover the basics.
Beginners need to learn the structure of blues, the kind of chords scales and progressions that build the matrix, then spend a goodly amount of time like a year or so just jamming along with recordings.
What you need to do is develop an ear for the chord changes, it doesn't matter how slick and fancy the solo part might sound it still relates to a simple progression of basic chords which you must learn to recognise, you learn this just by playing along with some chords and listening to what harmonises and what doesn't and relate that to the small number of different chord progressions that typically define blues. There's no shortcut I know of to developing your ear you just have to play along and listen.
Then come back to sites like that if you want to learn the details of how someone else goes about playing their blues.
I'm not sure that site is intended to be a real "instructional" resource. I found it useful because it gave me a list of easier songs to get started with. I went from there to a few other places where I found more details.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Roy Bookbinder, Mary Flower and the late, great Woody Mann. Look into them when you can.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:09 PM

All the answers are good.. But this is absolutely essential.

You may have to 'cull' through a lot of styles to find your choice, but they stream free and you can focus on any or style of the Blues. Listening is highly recommended, if not essential. Why do I say this?

To play the blues, it is not just 'bluezy' notes; it comes from a place deep in your self. By listening to the age-old greats you begin to 'hear' it 'feel' it; The listening is so important as the Feel, the Sound, begins to seep into you. Blues is simple, but runs deep. Some of the best musicians in the world can't play Blues.. Blues speaks from the soul.

IN your address bar:
Type streaming Blues or streaming Blues. There are several streams from old Charlie Patton, to modern rock blues. You decide what you are drawn to. Use the links to compare.

AThens is very good usually, accuradio.
Blues - Listen to Free Radio Stations - AccuRadio

Hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2022, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7 View Post
I'm just getting started so I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Griff Hamlin, either Beginning Blues Guitar or Blues Guitar Unleashed.
Old 06-10-2022, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7 View Post
I'm not sure that site is intended to be a real "instructional" resource. I found it useful because it gave me a list of easier songs to get started with. I went from there to a few other places where I found more details.
I think the minimum you need to be able to do is take a recording of a song , work out what key it's in, work out the chord progression and identify whether it's a 145 ,154 or a more jazzy progression 12 bars or 8 bars and just strum along keeping the groove going and getting the changes on the correct beat, when you can do that easily then it's time to start incorporating turnarounds bass runs and syncopated lead riffs.
So therfore you need to seek out learning material which is organised in a way to help with that.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Dunno about the online thing.. I think you're supposed to practice in a graveyard at midnight.
Yeah, I tried that, but I couldn't get a wif-fi signal to access the blues lesson website...

Same thing when I went down to the Crossroads. No signal there either, and this annoying weird-looking guy kept coming up wanting to buy my soul. Told him to p--- off.
Old 06-10-2022, 06:28 AM

+++ on Stefan Grossmann and Tom Feldman's lessons available through his site.
There's also the Blues Guitar Institute (bluesguitarinstitute.com) where free membership will already give you access to plenty free lessons already.

Have a listen to the countless videos of/by Doug Macleod on YouTube; to me he is a true embodiement of the bluesmen of old who doesn't just play the blues but who also knows how because he understands its meaning. He's made 1 course (he was planning to do another before the corona circus happened), "Doug's 101 Blues Essentials", available through MusicGurus.

If you want some additional theoretical knowledge you can probably best go and find a relevant MOOC class (e.g. on coursera.org).

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 09-09-2023, 11:21 AM

Don't know if its been said. But Stefan Grossmans Guitar Workshop if you want to learn real acoustic blues.
Old 09-09-2023, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Same thing when I went down to the Crossroads. No signal there either, and this annoying weird-looking guy kept coming up wanting to buy my soul. Told him to p--- off.
you might have missed the chance
Old 09-09-2023, 06:17 PM

If you're interested in electric blues, then I recommend Corey Congelio's site -- workingclassguitar.com. It's the most structured site I've seen. It's not one of those sites that is just a collection a loosely organized YouTube videos. It's an actual educational site that attempts to move a student from point A to point B to point C, and so on. It builds very nicely.

Last edited by AX17609; 09-09-2023 at 06:53 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write