The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-15-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejw View Post
I think it can be a mistake to change a style that works in order to be more "correct". It seems to me that, particularly outside the classical field, there are examples of great players who use almost every techique imaginable, and a few more besides! By all means experiment with different methods but if something works I'd stick with it.
I have to sa I completely agree with this. In fact, I play fingerstyle exactly the same way you do ( side of palm on the saddle or bridge pins, and three fingers ). Yes, the tone is a little thinner sounding and picked close to the saddle, but I like that sound. Everyone plays differently, and there are many ways to skin a cat. I know what you are driving at RE: technique not being correct, but so what ? If we all played the same way there would be no individual style. I think you should relax about it, and just play as you are, unless you are completely unhappy with the sound. I like the thump and twang that this style produces. Not everyone will like it, and it probably doesn't bring out the best in my guitars, but it gives me the sound I like, which is probably why I developed this technique in the first place.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:58 AM

I’ve said this before, if you were reared in a flamenco or classical culture you would not consider playing anchoring your picking hand - you’d just accept the discipline / technique and get on developing your playing.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:39 AM

Hi guys

Thanks for the input

Yeah well IM not very happy with the sound of the way I played, as much as I found it so easy to finger pick that way. The sound when you pick over the soundhole as opposed to by the bridge is so much fuller, and just sounds right to me. Also, I actually find I need more power to play closer to the saddle like I have been, as the strings are not as loose there, so it hurts more!

I have been playing all day hovering, and getting somewhere, so I will commit to this for a few weeks and see how I get on!

Thanks again guys
Old 04-15-2014, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robodelfy View Post
…Im a bit confused as I keep swapping between and need to settle with something and get on with it!
Hi Alex...

Glad you see the issues, and I'm sure when you make up your mind you'll choose whichever you want to live with for the next few years.

Nothing we can say is going to motivate you to pay the price to re-learn a technique you've been somewhat successfully with.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-15-2014, 09:13 AM

Just do what works for you,it worked for Ms.Cotten

Old 04-15-2014, 09:30 AM

Default My fingerpicking style, technically wrong, struggling to change!

I agree totally, do what works for you. Don't get sucked in by if it's technically correct or not. Look at the the method of the master of thumb style, chet atkins or Travis then have a think.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:23 AM

I have the same problem with my thumb. Looking at the picture and looking at a few videos of people playing correctly I wonder if it is a question of what part of the thumb I am using.

I am pointing in the right direction and all the rest but I seem to be striking the bass notes with the edge of my thumb just under the nail on the left-hand side (sometimes inadvertently catching the nail). Perhaps I should use more of the pad of my thumb!

In one video, the fellow talking about common mistakes says to use the pad of the fingers to strike the strings (if you are not using your nails, which I am not) but does not specify what part of the thumb should be used. Although when moving from the thumb and referring to the fingers he says "once again" use the pads. Should my thumb be more pad-oriented?
Old 06-16-2022, 09:37 AM

Acoustic guitar picking isn't classical guitar - people do whatever works for them.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Hi guys

I play mainly fingerstyle folky singer songwriter stuff. When I started fingerpicking I rested the edge of my palm on the bridge pins/bridge area. I didnt realise this was wrong, but ive since read that you should either anchor your arm at the elbow or use your pinky to anchor on the scratch plate. I can play pretty fast and accurately when i do it with my hand on the bridge pins, the main problem I find is the sound. Obviously Im picking close to the saddle which gives a less full and slightly twangy sound. Apart from that though I would be happy to play like this as I can play best this way.

I cant do the pinky on the scratch plate as I use my ring finger to pick and it just doesnt work with my pinky anchored.

I can float my hand, but I just cant even get cose to the speed and accuracy of my other way. Do you think its possible to get to the same standard with a floating hand?

Im a bit confused as I keep swapping between and need to settle with something and get on with it!

Any info greatly appreciated

Alex
I think a lot of hobbyists and local-venue types of players waste a lot of time and energy trying to emulate (or even match) the standards to which top-tier or even world-class players hold themselves, whether that's musical knowledge; technique; repertoire; or other aspects of the craft. If you've developed a method that works for you and enables you to meet your goals I see no reason to spend time trying to change it because someone else has pronunced it to be inferior or wrong.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

OP--if you want to make the change to floating it won't take all that long in my experience.

I was a "planter" when I started lessons with a classically trained teacher. He highly encouraged me to float (his theory being the ring finger can't move freely if the pinky is planted) and since I was paying him I agreed to try it.

I would say it felt natural within a couple of weeks. But I was not very far along as a finger picker when I made the change, less than a year. I'm glad I did it, but that is not to disparage anyone who plants (MJH, Tommy E, Stefan Grossman and Woody Mann just off the top of my head!).

I can still plant if I want to but it feels kind of strange, unless I'm planting the side of my palm on country blues type stuff.

I agree with all those who say whatever works, works. For most of us the perfect is the enemy of good
Old 06-16-2022, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Eight-year-old thread, but one point intrigues me.

The OP said he can’t move his ring finger without the pinky involuntarily moving. With me it’s the opposite: I can move the ring finger independently, but I can’t move the pinky without the ring finger moving with it.

Humans.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 06-16-2022, 10:57 AM

I did not realise it was an eight-year-old thread. I agree with whatever works for you.

But any ideas about my "thumb" problem.

"I am pointing in the right direction and all the rest but I seem to be striking the bass notes with the edge of my thumb just under the nail on the left-hand side (sometimes inadvertently catching the nail). Perhaps I should use more of the pad of my thumb!"
Old 06-16-2022, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi guys

I play mainly fingerstyle folky singer songwriter stuff. When I started fingerpicking I rested the edge of my palm on the bridge pins/bridge area. I didnt realise this was wrong, but ive since read that you should either anchor your arm at the elbow or use your pinky to anchor on the scratch plate. I can play pretty fast and accurately when i do it with my hand on the bridge pins, the main problem I find is the sound. Obviously Im picking close to the saddle which gives a less full and slightly twangy sound. Apart from that though I would be happy to play like this as I can play best this way.

I cant do the pinky on the scratch plate as I use my ring finger to pick and it just doesnt work with my pinky anchored.

I can float my hand, but I just cant even get cose to the speed and accuracy of my other way. Do you think its possible to get to the same standard with a floating hand?

Im a bit confused as I keep swapping between and need to settle with something and get on with it!

Any info greatly appreciated

Alex
Alex, there are various ways to play the steel string guitar, and some common methods are named after people who developed their own style, and made them famous.

Whilst I teach my clients (don't like to call them "students" as is seems demeaning) pretty standard posture aspects like you mention ....

THERE ARE NO RULES.

So, Alex, if you have developed a style which works for you - then don't worry - just do it!
Who knows one day there will be people asking how to learn the "alex" style!!!
Old 06-16-2022, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Alex, there are various ways to play the steel string guitar, and some common methods are named after people who developed their own style, and made them famous.

Whilst I teach my clients (don't like to call them "students" as is seems demeaning) pretty standard posture aspects like you mention ....

THERE ARE NO RULES.

So, Alex, if you have developed a style which works for you - then don't worry - just do it!

Who knows one day there will be people asking how to learn the "alex" style!!!
While there are no rules the op clearly stated he wasn't happy with his tone in his style. Going against a lot of common wisdom where there are many tried and proven techniques to develop and address exactly that issue seems folly.

For me right hand technique modification and improvement is never ending learning. There is so much I have picked up from subtle (and not so subtle ) alterations in the mechanics of my right hand.

I picked up a lot of initially pmia and string walk exercises from my classical teacher and on pumping nylon to very clearly work on speed of the right hand in addition to accuracy while floating. They help a ton if you put in the time to practice them.
Old 06-16-2022, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

And as b1j pointed out the thread is 8 years old. I suspect Alex won’t be seeing these replies.

Darby OTOH is looking for assistance now.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
finger picking, fingers, fingerstyle