The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-11-2022, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff350 View Post
The nut on my OF660 is also loose - I actually assumed it was on purpose but it's annoying. Every time I take the neck off I have to make sure I don't lose the nut, then try to get it back in the right place when I'm reinstalling the neck.

Let me know if Journey responds, I'd be interested in hearing what they say.
Mine was loose enough that it shifted while playing and fell out at string changes and detensioning for travel. A little light sanding and glue resolved that issue for me.

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app
Old 08-13-2022, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Although it's been mentioned already, here it is from the horse's mouth in Section 2 Collapsible Guitars Questions: From the Journey FAQ webpage:

Help! My Nut Fell Out! How Should I Secure It?

For a normal fixed-neck guitar, the nut may actually be unglued and you’d never know it until you removed your strings. It’s more common than you might think. However, if you’re frequently removing and attaching the neck of a guitar as you do with a collapsible guitar – it’s not uncommon for the nut to come loose due to the friction and change in pressure against the nut.

This is actually a very quick fix. To repair, simply remove the strings, add cyanoacrylate glue (super glue gel or gorilla glue gel) to the bottom of the nut and put it back in place – be sure to align the nut slots with the slots in the black string retainer. Hold it in place for around 3 minutes or until the glue dries, and restring your guitar – you should be good to go.

Categories: 2. Collapsible Guitar Questions, 3. Carbon Fiber Guitar Questions
Tag: nut
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-13-2022, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting. Makes sense. Though on my other guitars it takes some effort to pop the nut off. Maybe they need some better glue .

I've ordered a Graphtech nut for the OF660. I'm hoping to get a better fit in the nut slot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber