The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-15-2022, 07:48 AM

Thanks so much for this thorough review! I'm between the Furch and the Journey myself, haven't played either but looking for a travel guitar. For size/ sound I think I would prefer the Furch but not sure how robust it is, and the though of having to worry about humidifying, etc might push me toward the Journey. Perhaps I'll just such whichever I can find used at a fair price.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
...And here is a non-TSA website that talks about size limits published by various airlines. I’m guessing that Journey Instruments is relying on the idea that airlines know that competitors’ allowable sizes vary a bit and limits aren’t strictly enforced unless visibly out of range.

https://tsatraveltips.us/carry-on-luggage-size/
I think you're right. If it looks close they would probably not check. The weight is still a question. I suppose the wheels and handle could be a good idea for someone that can fit all their other stuff into the pack.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
KevinH,
I also like Gotohs and have them on OF660 as well as X7. You have the option to go with mini Gotoh just like stock Emerald X7. Here is a picture of mine with Mini...
Thanks for posting. Those look really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
...FYI, when I detach the neck for travel, I capo the strings secure to keep them orderly. It seems to help. I also have marked where the strings should be on the saddle because they do not necessarily settle back to the same spacing. Also, bridge pins on mine loosen as I lock in due to string tension. So I just put my hand on the pins as I lock in. Same with the nut; make sure to center it as you lock in. Sounds like a lot going on but you will find ways to reseat correctly one way or another...
I've been discovering that...though I hadn't thought of the capo. Good idea.

That's another difference between the Journey and the Little Jane. I've never had an issue with string alignment, nut placement or anything like that with the L J. Just take it out of the pack, and put it together. But Furch doesn't use a nut, just a small piece to keep the strings aligned, and a zero fret. But I agree, once I got used to the Journey and know what to look for, it's not a big deal.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbmusic View Post
Thanks so much for this thorough review! I'm between the Furch and the Journey myself, haven't played either but looking for a travel guitar. For size/ sound I think I would prefer the Furch but not sure how robust it is, and the though of having to worry about humidifying, etc might push me toward the Journey. Perhaps I'll just such whichever I can find used at a fair price.
Yeah its tough when you can't try one. If you're anywhere around the Pacific NW you can stop in and give mine a go.

For me it boils down to: the Furch is smaller for travel and has its own sound. The Journey is more robust, has more presence in the bass end, but is quiet.

I think you need both
Old 08-15-2022, 09:10 AM

Sounds like you have both…. If you could pick just one which would you choose? Also do you know what a fair used price would be?
Old 08-15-2022, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sounds like you have both…. If you could pick just one which would you choose? Also do you know what a fair used price would be?
From my side it depends on what you are prioritizing.

If extreme climate issues are a thing the Journey. If overall space while travelling or unamplified volume or natural wood appeal then it's the Furch. I will say that I have used the LJ in pretty strong temperature extremes without issues (ie travelling to the east coast in the summer and moving between indoor AC and outdoors). But I use the Journey for when I go skiing in my camper van where it will be left and exposed to extreme cold and then warming up again. Personally I find I use the Little Jane more so between the two thats the one I'd probably pick.

I personally like the Furch neck a bit more than the Journey as well but both are reasonable.

Tone wise it is a toss up. But the Journey is a bit fuller / less small body although both in my mind are quite decent.

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app

Last edited by Aspiring; 08-15-2022 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I do. I started with the L J. It's worked really well for most of my local travel. The Pacific NW doesn't have much extreme humidity, except for east of the Cascade mountains. If I weren't going anywhere where temp/humidity are an issue I'd stick with the Furch. And who knows maybe the L J would be OK even then. On a recent trip my main concern was actually temperature, not humidity. While traveling it's nice to be able to leave the guitar in the car on a warm day for a couple hours and not worry about glue joints coming apart. So, for now, I'm keeping both.

As far as used...I haven't seen many used L Js. I don't see any on reverb right now. There was an old listing (seller in Germany) that listed for around $1,000 US. It seems most people hang on to them. You might have better luck with a used Journey. Guitar Center has a used one listed for $1,000 right now. If you're thinking about the Journey, I'd just buy a new one from Amazon (or similar) since you can return it if it doesn't work out.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:14 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks, that makes sense. I guess for what I'm looking for, carbon fiber would be helpful. The little jane is just expensive enough that I'd worry about temperature, etc when traveling. Live in the Northeast so it gets hot and humid in the summer and cold and dry in the winter. Saw a journey on reverb I put an offer in on. I guess an alternative would be the journey puddle jumper which is wood but at its price wouldn't worry as much about it if it got damaged. Thanks for your help
Old 08-15-2022, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, that makes sense. I guess for what I'm looking for, carbon fiber would be helpful. The little jane is just expensive enough that I'd worry about temperature, etc when traveling. Live in the Northeast so it gets hot and humid in the summer and cold and dry in the winter. Saw a journey on reverb I put an offer in on. I guess an alternative would be the journey puddle jumper which is wood but at its price wouldn't worry as much about it if it got damaged. Thanks for your help
Good luck - I'ld be interested to hear what you decide on and your impressions of it. If the reverb offer isn't accepted, you might consider the one at Guitar Center, assuming you have one nearby. It looks to me like their return policy also includes used guitars.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:34 AM

Default Journey

Got the journey. Nicer than expected. The neck is wide but not thick so workable for me. Action is high and only came with one saddle so will get it set up. Wish it were a bit smaller but thankful for the durability and I bet I can stuff socks, etc into it when traveling. Definitely sounds better than expected.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Got the journey. Nicer than expected. The neck is wide but not thick so workable for me. Action is high and only came with one saddle so will get it set up. Wish it were a bit smaller but thankful for the durability and I bet I can stuff socks, etc into it when traveling. Definitely sounds better than expected.

You only have one saddle? Are you sure? New OF660s ship from reputable dealers with a small green accessory bag with an extra saddle and truss rod wrench. Check the small pocket on the backpack.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber