The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-15-2019, 04:42 AM

Default Vintage Di Giorgio nylon string guitar - basket case or worth restoring??

Hey folks, I picked up this old Di Giorgio for $50 sight unseen. Unfortunately there is a whole lot wrong with it that the seller did not disclose, and after agreeing to a refund has reneged on the refund and done a "runner"...

Worst part is there has been a wood boring beetle infestation (hopefully in the past)... I think that may account for a few of the cracks and gouges (mostly in the side)..

I am a novice with regard to guitar repair/restoration but I would like to learn.

Firstly, is this old guitar worth restoring or is it a proverbial basket case?

If it is worth some effort, any advice on the job would be appreciated... I have begun with dripping a wood borer insecticide in the boring holes and cracks.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aden View Post
Hey folks, I picked up this old Di Giorgio for $50 sight unseen. Unfortunately there is a whole lot wrong with it that the seller did not disclose, and after agreeing to a refund has reneged on the refund and done a "runner"...

Worst part is there has been a wood boring beetle infestation (hopefully in the past)... I think that may account for a few of the cracks and gouges (mostly in the side)..

I am a novice with regard to guitar repair/restoration but I would like to learn.

Firstly, is this old guitar worth restoring or is it a proverbial basket case?

If it is worth some effort, any advice on the job would be appreciated... I have begun with dripping a wood borer insecticide in the boring holes and cracks.
IMHO that's all you need to know right there... Have at it. What have you got to loose?
Old 05-15-2019, 07:30 AM

Don't see many flat sawn tops for nylon. Sure, why not give it a go? Experience is a good thing.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:19 PM

Thanks for the replies so far folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Don't see many flat sawn tops for nylon.
What do you mean flat sawn top?
Old 05-19-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aden View Post
Thanks for the replies so far folks!

What do you mean flat sawn top?
Top right hand picture, on the left side of the crack the grain has a elliptical direction starting at the binding.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:44 AM

Depends on how you value your time. If you put a lot of hours into it and do good work, it may be worth $50, but that would be a hard sell.

In other words, if you think you are capable of doing good work, I recommend learning on something that has a chance of being a decent guitar when you are done. I have never understood the advice of those who basically say you should plan on failure in your first attempts, so do them on something that has no chance of being good when you are done.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:33 PM

I don't see it as planning for failure, but is your first use of the clubs going to result in a hole in one? I always plan for success but try to mitigate for unforeseen possibilities. When I glue with CA I have a can of acetone nearby. I am pretty good using the stuff but for some reason the tube wall split and leaked on my fingers. Experience can be priceless.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair