The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-25-2020, 12:30 PM

When I first get a guitar, I tend to be a bit more cautious with it. This is especially true if I have spent a bit more than I have in the past. But that caution fades as I begin to feel that the guitar is truly mine.

No matter what, I always try to be aware of my surroundings and to prevent unnecessary bumps and bruises to my instruments and to the instruments of others. I wouldn’t call this anxiety...it is more in the realm of conscientiousness.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:37 PM

I love my higher end guitars, so I play them. Owning a guitar is hardly a source of satisfaction. The more you play them, the more you love them--or decide they're not the girl or guy for you.

I'd put all your others in cases and the higher end guitars on stands (with rooms appropriately humidified) and play them.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

I somehow got over that problem of being hesitant to play my best guitars because I might ding them. I did ding them, I felt bad, but what's a person going to do? I bought my guitars to make music and they are worthless except as works of art if I just leave them out on a stand and don't play them.

So I play them and sometimes bump them on something. The music is what's important, I think. The bumps and dings hurt, but I just want the music bad enough that I will put up with the occasional ding.

Be well!

- Glenn
Old 11-25-2020, 12:51 PM

I very definitely felt this when I first got my Martin (i.e., my first *good* guitar.) Like I shouldn't be so reckless as to actually play it. But I quickly got over it. I got the guitar so I could play it, and I forced myself to stop thinking that it was too nice to actually play. I have it out on a stand, and I grab it first.

Now I'm not a gigging guitar player, so I've never had to think about what guitar to take to a gig - but I'm pretty sure I'd take the Martin. Why have it if you're not going to use it?
2021 Martin 000-28
2017 Guild OM-120
Old 11-25-2020, 01:01 PM

If I thought a guitar was too fancy/expensive for me to feel 100% comfortable about playing it, I wouldn’t buy it, because that would be a waste of money, and I don’t have money to waste.

I’m certainly gentler with a new instrument, especially if I spent a lot (for me) on it, because that new-guitar pristine-ness is nice, and why not make it last as long as I can? But that would never extend to the point of not playing it. It just means I’m a little more mindful about how I handle it.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

I can't imagine dropping a bunch of money on a guitar and then just letting it sit in its case. Seems like a waste.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:23 PM

I am not afraid, but there is one koa/spruce Taylor GS that is still pristine - not even one ding. You cannot even get a Taylor with koa wood this nice anymore. It only gets played at home and somewhat rarely, maybe less than 5% of my total play time. I have debated selling it all summer long. It is way too nice not to get played routinely. Everything else goes wherever I want and gets played in a variety of situations. I never play in smoky, rowdy bars from behind chicken wire.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:29 PM

Every once in a while I think "this is silly to have such awesome guitars but not playing them because they are too nice". I think about taking the three I don't play often and selling them.....to commission an amazing boutique custom build....only to be afraid to take it out of the case. LOL

Humans are silly creatures.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:34 PM

I sold all my cheap guitars to force myself to play the expensive ones.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:37 PM

Guitars are meant to be played so I play them regardless of value or pedigree.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:48 PM

Why equate "good" with "expensive." Expensive is money - good is about enjoyment. If only money can provide that you have forgotten what making music is all about.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:59 PM

I confess...I take take very good care of my my remaining three guitars. And over the years I have played Lower guitars a lot while saving back my better ones, which are nice but not expensive by the prices discussed a lot on AGF.
I played a beat up Tacoma all the time while my Taylor was snug in its case. So now most of my inexpensive guitars have been given Away, and I still catch myself holding back the pristine Taylor which I have had for 20 years. And the question is...for what? The grandkids?
So the point of the thread is that I am going to make a conscious effort to play all three and not hold back the Taylor.
Thanks for the thread!
Old 11-25-2020, 02:02 PM

There was a great magazine article, last year I believe, that covered an interview with vintage guitar guru and businessman George Gruhn in which Gruhn categorized guitar consumers as either players, collectors, or speculators. Seems like you are a player and a collector, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Why equate "good" with "expensive." Expensive is money - good is about enjoyment. If only money can provide that you have forgotten what making music is all about.
And you really don't have to spend much money at all to get a "good enough" guitar today. Perhaps to reduce guitar anxiety the trick is to find out what your personal "good enough" guitar is - and stick with that.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:49 PM

In my younger days-been playing for 45 years-i was Uber cautious with any guitar (I only only one at a time for a long time). As I’ve gotten older I realize they are for playing and enjoying and are less “investments” than sources of pleasure. I’m not haphazard with them but even my “best” guitar goes out to gigs (or did at one point) and sometimes gets an unexpected knock or two.

BTW- sitting listening to my 23 year old son-in from California-tear it up on my “best” guitar. That’s the real reason why I have them and why I play them.

I wish I’d learned this lesson earlier in life...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion