The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-23-2020, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Fender American Professional II Stratocaster - Pros & Cons?

Hopefully some of you good people can help me help a friend - thank you in advance.

My buddy is learning to play (not bad so far) and wants to buy a brand new electric guitar, probably a Fender Strat (which he can easily afford so economy is not a driving factor). Since I've played in bar bands and owned dozens of electric guitars (I'm also his informal guitar instructor), he's looking for me for guidance on which Strat to buy.

It was so much simpler last century when there were various-origin Asian Strats of varying qualities, Mexican Strats and the American Standard Strat. Now it seems every recording artist (dead or alive) has a customized signature model. And even the American Standard is evolving into "Professional" and now "Professional II." Pro II is what my buddy is leaning towards, but I can't tell him if that's absolutely the one he wants.

I did some research online and read some favorable things about the frets, pickups and volume control. But I've not played one yet, and I can't really compare it to my favorite sweat/beer-stained war horse, custom made from a dozen donor Strats.

I'm interested in hearing from people who actually own and play a Pro II, who can tell me how it differs from previous Strats. Good or bad, I'd appreciate hearing your endorsements and caveats so I can be aware of specifics to consider as I endeavor to help my pal navigate the maze.

Thank you!

Last edited by tinnitus; 11-25-2020 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

I'm not an expert on Fender Stratocasters, but just in the last week I have received a new Fender American Stratocaster Professional II. I really like it!

I have owned an American Fender Strat+ from the early '90s, which I bought new and got a very good deal on when I bought it. It's a lovely guitar and very quiet, with Fender Lace Sensor pickups. I was happy with this guitar for quite a while, but in recent years as I have learned more about Strats, I found I wanted a Strat that sounded a little less "hi-fi" and more like a traditional Strat. Thus, my interest in the Strat Pro II.

This is, at least for me, a good demo on the new Strat Pro II. https://youtu.be/MJjI5tHQ3jI The finish I chose for my new Strat is exactly the finish Jay Leonard J. is using in his video -- that "Dark Knight" finish with the maple fretboard. Jay Leonard J. at least from my viewpoint is a good player and he plays more traditional sounding Strat sounds more in line with what I like to play. However, he is a way better electric player than I am!

My son came over on Sunday and played my new Strat Pro II and he liked it a lot, too; he is a way better electric player than I am, and he brought out some wonderful sounds from this guitar just playing through Guitar Rig on my computer.

There are less expensive Strats available, of course, but this new Pro II is very nice, about as nice as a Fender Strat can get, I think. Wonderful sounds from the pickups and very well balanced volume from each of them as you switch the pickups while playing. (I chose 3 single coil pickups for my Strat Pro II, as I have a Gibson Les Paul and ESS-335, so I felt no need for a humbucker in the bridge position); also, the guitar has a wonderfully finished neck and very nicely finished fret ends so that it is silky smooth to play. My son commented on the rather fat neck, but he is used to playing an Andy Timmons Ibanez which has a very thin neck and very narrow nut width. I don't feel that the neck is particularly fat at all, but I am used to playing mostly acoustic guitars and my son is not.

I never use the bridge pickup in my Strat+ because it has always sounded so hard-edged and trebly. But on the new Strat Pro II that bridge pickup with just a little roll-off on the tone control sounds great!

I have some woodshedding work to do on my new Strat Pro II to feel that I really deserve this guitar. But there is no question that it's a lovely guitar!

I hope this is helpful! Best of luck to you and your buddy!

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 11-25-2020 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-25-2020, 12:50 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Glenn! Great review. Especially because I'm actually familiar with your comparison guitar, the Strat Plus. I had a red one - for awhile.

It wasn't a model I sought out, rather I stumbled into a package deal/trade on Craigslist. Ironically, I never really connected with that guitar. It was configured very specifically around a handful of unique Plus features, so I was hesitant to do the upgrades/mods I typically throw into more conventionally equipped Strats (regardless of where they were manufactured) - tuners, nut, bridge, tremelo, saddles, pickups, pots, wiring/capacitors, etc.

Seeking some "inside" info today, I phoned a local repair shop familiar with the Pro II. Great shop. Twelfth Fret, in Portland OR. Besides doing excellent work, they always take a few minutes to address my questions. Much knowledge and superb skills there. Thumbs up for the Pro II's quality, construction, fit, finish, setup, tone and playability.

So on Friday, my buddy and I will go put hands on new guitars (including a few of my own for comparison) and I'll try my best to address what's to love about a Strat. We'll check out Fender's (new to me) MIM Player model too. But I suspect he'll want the Pro II, just 'cause. Confident he's getting a guitar he'll probably never outgrow.

Thanks again. Other comments/observations welcome here.

Last edited by tinnitus; 11-25-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:44 AM

Tinnitus
Please report back on the Stratocaster II I would like to know what your findings are I have been looking at the MIM Player as well as the Stratocaster II for a first electric guitar but am not able to try them out because of the Covid restrictions the shops that have them are not allowing anyone in the stores. They are happy to sell one without trying make it hard to make a side by side comparison.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Thanks Glenn! Great review. Especially because I'm actually familiar with your comparison guitar, the Strat Plus. I had a red one - for awhile.

It wasn't a model I sought out, rather I stumbled into a package deal/trade on Craigslist. Ironically, I never really connected with that guitar. It was configured very specifically around a handful of unique Plus features, so I was hesitant to do the upgrades/mods I typically throw into more conventionally equipped Strats (regardless of where they were manufactured) - tuners, nut, bridge, tremelo, saddles, pickups, pots, wiring/capacitors, etc.

Seeking some "inside" info today, I phoned a local repair shop familiar with the Pro II. Great shop. Twelfth Fret, in Portland OR. Besides doing excellent work, they always take a few minutes to address my questions. Much knowledge and superb skills there. Thumbs up for the Pro II's quality, construction, fit, finish, setup, tone and playability.

So on Friday, my buddy and I will go put hands on new guitars (including a few of my own for comparison) and I'll try my best to address what's to love about a Strat. We'll check out Fender's (new to me) MIM Player model too. But I suspect he'll want the Pro II, just 'cause. Confident he's getting a guitar he'll probably never outgrow.

Thanks again. Other comments/observations welcome here.
Hi Tinnitus!

I am familiar with The Twelfth Fret in Portland! I did not realize until now that you are from Forest Grove, OR! We are practically neighbors!

I am excited for you and your buddy! It should be a great weekend for checking out Strats! You might consider taking some good headphones with you to audition these guitars, because it may be noisy in the shops. Or, maybe most people will be staying home -- who knows?

One of the features I like about the Strat Pro II guitars is the wonderful finishes they have come up with. These Pro II guitars all look terrific!

Regarding MIM Fender Strats, I have a MIM Telecaster with US pickups and electronics, and it sounds great. So you can get a lot of value from a MIM Strat, I am sure. And as you have noted, changing pickups and electronics is fairly straightforward on these guitars. I understand that your friend may simply want the Pro II. It's a great choice!

How fascinating that you owned a Strat+ at one point, so you understand my viewpoint very well. I'm so glad my information was helpful!

Have fun!

- Glenn
Old 11-25-2020, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Totally agree neighbor. Truth be known, I've always thought the MIM is a very well made Strat. My blue one, now my son's, is a Robin Trower Day of the Eagle machine on the neck pickup.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend the MIM Strat for any level player. I don't know about the newer MIM Players, but reviews say they're even better than the old model MIM.

My buddy's not an elitist, but he's worked hard all his life and likes to know he has the best when he buys toys, tools, etc. Speaking of which, he's retiring right now and will be done by noon, better able to pursue his MANY hobbies from now on, including a new Strat.

I'll probably leave my Blues Junior and a Tube Screamer at his house for awhile.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:36 PM

Oh STRAT+ ya say!

Sure! Great guitars I still have one!! has probably the best neck (for a strat) I've ever had. (and I've had a lot of em). It's the one reason why I will never sell it. bought it new in 95.

The lace sensor (GOLD) pickups didn't last long (replaced them with Texas specials).

BTW, Glenn is right, the tone control added to the bridge pickup is a huge plus factor. I have a 2014 standard that came stock that way.

It does make a difference cuz that bridge pickup can be lethal. it the Pro has that,, that is a good thing!

Good luck shopping,, half the fun is the hunt. and there is no mistaking buying a great guitar no matter how long you're at it.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

My new Fender American Professional II Stratocaster is used on this video just put up today in the Show and Tell section. For those interested in the new Strat, this video gives you a little insight.

Thanks, Glenn
Old 12-05-2020, 05:57 AM

Top of the line guitars..I dont see
How he can go wrong. Is this
An online purchase or will he bring
You along to the LGS to play before pay?
Old 12-05-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Totally agree neighbor. Truth be known, I've always thought the MIM is a very well made Strat. My blue one, now my son's, is a Robin Trower Day of the Eagle machine on the neck pickup.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend the MIM Strat for any level player. I don't know about the newer MIM Players, but reviews say they're even better than the old model MIM.

My buddy's not an elitist, but he's worked hard all his life and likes to know he has the best when he buys toys, tools, etc. Speaking of which, he's retiring right now and will be done by noon, better able to pursue his MANY hobbies from now on, including a new Strat.

I'll probably leave my Blues Junior and a Tube Screamer at his house for awhile.
I too have read that the newer MIM Strats are great. Worth checking out.

As far as the Pro II Strat goes, I've never played one before but I don't think you can go wrong with it.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:53 AM

I was not a fan of the American Professional I Stratocaster but with II seems to be a lot better. Go for it!

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 12-18-2020, 03:59 PM

Some good coverage but don't lose sight of the fact the guy is a beginner and probably will not notice a lot of differences like a fairly seasoned player would from guitar to guitar. To the OP, I'd seriously help him get a good setup squire classic vibe. He'll enjoy the next round of what to go up to after a couple of years or so. JMHO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars