The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-13-2020, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Video Help

I have an HP laptop with built in camera (works fine) and I also have a USB audio interface. My DAW is Reaper.

How do I put it all together to make a guitar video for sharing on YT or FB? Do I need some additional video software to make it work?

I'd like to make a video of me playing live over a backing track that I've pre-recorded in Reaper.

I'm just not knowledgeable at all on all things video.

All suggestions appreciated......
Old 11-13-2020, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
I have an HP laptop with built in camera (works fine) and I also have a USB audio interface. My DAW is Reaper.

How do I put it all together to make a guitar video for sharing on YT or FB? Do I need some additional video software to make it work?

I'd like to make a video of me playing live over a backing track that I've pre-recorded in Reaper.

I don't use Reaper BUT
I believe the later versions of Reaper have the ability to run a video track right in your audio project and do some limited editing, so that may be all you need.

You would import the backing track into Reaper Probably a drag and drop situation and record your playing live over that. While also recording the video on your computer
(Use video file format Reaper can use , maybe MPEG4 or something ) and then after you have recorded both the video and the audio at the same time but to different places you should be able to export the video to your desktop and then import it into Reaper. Then you can edit it to match your playing (note It's a good idea to make some kind of visual and sharp quick sound, so you can line up/sync the audio and video.... I slap my guitar body with my hand as the first beat in a vocal count in , (slap, two, three, four) which is visible on the video and is also visible as a tall spike transient waveform on the recorded track in the Edit window in the DAW (Reaper)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-13-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Hi Skip.

I'm using Reaper to combine video and previously recorded audio, but in a slightly different way.

If you have a smart phone then simply record your video on that, transfer the phone video to your computer and then combine / sync the video and audio.

Reaper does not do direct video recording, so you'd have to use something else to record video using your HP's camera while playing back your previously recorded tracks.

I explain and demo a couple different ways of doing this process in this recent topic, "Video / audio production on the cheap":

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=584578

Last edited by Rudy4; 11-14-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:54 AM

A couple of weeks ago, I downloaded Shotcut (freeware) to synch audio and video recorded on different devices. I’m getting back into the game after years of not doing any recording or editing, so I tried Shotcut as an experiment. It was easy to understand and use, and it took just a few minutes to match MOV and WAV files and produce an MP4 video.

There was only one thing I had to wonder about for a few minutes, and it’s actually a very simple and basic thing that I’d forgotten, and that is you have to delete the audio from your video track in order to replace it with the other audio track. First, you import/open your video track and look for an option to “unlink” the audio and video. Then you just select the audio part of the video, delete it, import/open the other audio track, play around with the two tracks to get them in synch, and then export to MP4.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:

While REAPER can edit video and sync audio it cannot capture, so you need software that can capture video from your webcam. OBS is a popular free choice, but there may be an app that came with the laptop or something built-in to Windows.

OK, I'm running an HP Omen and found a video recording app in the Start menu. It may be fiddly to get it working simultaneously with REAPER playback, though. I think OBS can handle that for you but will require a download and config.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 11-16-2020, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

A modern smartphone with a decent camera will record better, maybe much better, video than your computer webcam. And, you can transfer the video file to the computer (possibly via the cloud if not just connecting with a cable), to import into Reaper.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:55 PM

I suspect you have a phone with (quality) camera? The iPhone 11, for one, takes incredibly good videos (much, much better than my expensive new HP laptop, btw, and far more convenient). I'd start with that. As for Reaper, I'd check out the Reaper website under the Videos section and check out Kenny Gioia's excellent tutorials. Reaper.fm will get you there.

But start with checking out section 13 of his "This is Reaper 6" which explains the basics of video and music mixing in Reaper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n0V_KnXbRA

For a couple months, I have been "toying" with an iPhone 11 videos taken around my property and recording my plugged-in stereo guitar over them in Reaper. The videos are all edited within Reaper. Really, really good (to me) results of nature shots with "ambient" guitar complete with fades, text, colorization, overlapping etc. I am by no means an expert at this but I am getting better thru the somewhat steep learning curve of good video/audio production.

Good luck and tell us how you make out.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:50 PM

I would suggest downloading OBS (https://obsproject.com/).

This video will show you how to integrate it with a DAW and with online software such as Zoom:

If you are going to integrate with Zoom, you'll also need the OBS virtual webcam and a virtual audio cable.

There is a bit of a learning curve with OBS, and you may have to Google for adjusting for latency, but for me it has been worth the effort.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 11-16-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
There is a bit of a learning curve with OBS, and you may have to Google for adjusting for latency, but for me it has been worth the effort.
Just to be clear, you need OBS if you want to live stream, but for the OPs purpose--recording a video to upload to YT or FB--you don't need OBS unless you have no other way to record the webcam video. Reaper and, tbh, a better camera than the laptop are really all you need.

Step one--record the backing tracks in Reaper.
Step two--record yourself playing the "live" stuff in Reaper (listening to your backing tracks) while simultaneously taking video.

Now you should have your performance recorded on several tracks in Reaper, and a separate video from your phone or whatever.

Bring the video file into Reaper along with your recorded tracks, sync them up, and you should be off and running.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD