The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-01-2021, 12:42 PM

Default Greenfield Build Question

Hi everyone, if you were to order a greenfield guitar what would be the wood combination you would choose and why?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 06-01-2021, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Josh,

I'm sure you are aware, this is a total subjective question and you should get a myriad of answers. It depends on your style of playing. If you are a strummer, then Mahogany or Koa or some other "softer" wood would work in your favor. I, personally am more of a finger stylist (also a heavy attack flesh strummer) that prefers some type of a rosewood for back and sides.

I love a good Redwood top (Sinker or any other quality top), but I also love what spruce has to offer (Adi, Carpathian, Engleman, etc.). The former can be a lot warmer and will not have the headroom as the latter. Both are favorites.

If you are serious about a commission with Michael, the best thing to do is communicate what you are looking for, and he will tailor his build to your preferences.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:31 PM

It would have to be made of BRW, at that level their is no point skimping.

Last edited by Dwight; 06-02-2021 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:14 AM

I've had the pleasure of owning three different Greenfield guitars: G2, G3 and G1. All three had different wood combinations and all three were sublime instruments with a very identifiable Greenfield sound. The body sizes varied also so it's hard to draw conclusions about the wood. You can't make a bad choice. My three had BRW, African Blackwood and Cocobolo back/sides. All three had Moon Spruce tops.

Be happy you are playing in this sandbox and don't obsess over the wood. Michael will adjust the construction to account for the differences.

Cincy
Old 06-02-2021, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh P. View Post
Hi everyone, if you were to order a greenfield guitar what would be the wood combination you would choose and why?

Thanks,
Josh
I would spend some time thinking about how how to best articulate the sound that you are after and discuss this with Michael. What have you played before that you have really liked and what have you played before that you did not like? What aspects of tone are important to you (not us!)? He will no doubt have some recommendations for you based on your input. One of the skills of a good luthier that is frequently overlooked in the best builders is knowing how to get a client to articulate their goals in a manner that they can best translate them into a guitar.

My $.02
Old 06-02-2021, 06:14 AM

Congratulations. You are about to get something very special. Tell him what you are looking for as far as results, then I'd ask for his recommendations. Then from among the choices you are given, I'd pick the one I liked best, based on cost and appearance.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, you can’t go wrong. The builder is everything and at this level all the wood in his locker will be extraordinary. I’d simply fill a hole if you have multiple guitars or your favorite tone profile if you want one to do everything. I have guitars in Mahogany, Maple, Cocobolo, Madagascar, and Brazilian. Some music sounds best with a fundamental tone and some sounds best with a full lush tone.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
I would spend some time thinking about how how to best articulate the sound that you are after and discuss this with Michael. What have you played before that you have really liked and what have you played before that you did not like? What aspects of tone are important to you (not us!)? He will no doubt have some recommendations for you based on your input. One of the skills of a good luthier that is frequently overlooked in the best builders is knowing how to get a client to articulate their goals in a manner that they can best translate them into a guitar.

My $.02
I completely agree. I have commissioned two guitar builds from two different luthiers over the years and the success of those was largely in part from three critical things:
- knowing from playing a number of guitars, including some samples of the builder's guitars, that they were who I wanted to work with,
- my being clear on what I was looking for in tone and playability and being able to articulate that to the luthier, and
- Listening to the luthier tell me how best they could deliver on what I wanted and trusting them to do their thing.

If you already know that Michael Greenfield is the luthier that you want to build your guitar, then tell him what you are looking for and hear what he has to say. That is the only way you will know if it is a good fit and that you will walk away with the guitar that best meets your needs. Enjoy the ride!

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-02-2021, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. A lot of what has been mentioned meshes with what I am thinking.

I am certainly happy to playing in this sand box. And Michael's guidance has been invaluable and I am confident in the direction the build is going.

I'll admit to obsessing over the woods a bit. It feels like a big decision. The problem for me has been that I like a lot of aspects of several guitars of Michael's that I have heard, its just narrowing it down to something that I think will blend as many of those things that feels like it can make one's head spin.

After discussions with Michael, I definitely know I'm looking for a spruce/rosewood combination of some kind. I have an old D-18 as my other primary guitar and I know I would like something more lush and reverberant with complex overtones than the drier/wood/transparent/fundamental accentuated tone profile which my D-18 already covers.

I'm also looking for something with thick/sweet/round bell-like trebles.

I've listened to everything I could find on-line in terms of audio/video clips of greenfield's and managed to get my hands on a few examples in person.

I think I am leaning towards Alpine moon spruce and African Blackwood. Several of the examples with that cominbation seem to consistently have what sounds like the whole package in terms of the above properties.

That said there are some beautiful characteristics I have heard from guitar examples in Brazilian rosewood, amazon rosewood, nicaraguan mountain rosewood, and madagascar rosewood which have given me pause (Although the madagascar rosewood is no longer available).

Anyway, the basis of my original query was to see what folks thoughts for on what they might choose based on the type of sound they might be looking for and to see why that may have landed them with thinking of a specific wood combination.

In the end I'm going to trust Michael and I know the guitar will be spectacular.

Sorry for the long post. I really appreciate the feedback and the valuable information individuals so generously share here.

Best,
Josh
Old 06-05-2021, 05:21 AM

Michael Greenfield is one of a handful of luthiers in the world that I would give carte blanche to build whatever they thought would suit me.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Hi Josh,
I sure don’t think that you could go wrong with either African Blackwood or Brazilian in Michael’s hands. It is both fun and a bit nerve wracking to have to make these final choices when you are making such an investment. Trust your gut and let Michael trust his and I look forward to hearing about the final product down the road.
Best,
Jayne
Old 06-05-2021, 07:47 AM

Thanks Jayne. Yes, I think this process can be nerve racking if you let it be.

I appreciate your thoughts Michael. And I think that is where I'm at- basically just trust Michael Greenfield.

I've communicated to him some of the general of what I'm looking for - fat singing trebles, complex overtones, balanced blend between the mids and lows, and presence/power/clarity in really low tunings.

If this lands him on a set of more humble, but particularly beautiful quarter sawn Indian rosewood I'm not going to stress over the fact that it isn't Brazilian or some other rare exotic. Ultimately for me this about creating a tone machine for making music not a collector piece to put in a curio cabinet. And I don't mean that as a slam on folks who go for the rare expensive stuff for whatever reason it might be for them, but its just that for me that's not the driving force. I just want to close my eyes and play and smile.

Thanks again everyone.

Best,
Josh
Old 06-05-2021, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
Michael Greenfield is one of a handful of luthiers in the world that I would give carte blanche to build whatever they thought would suit me.
+1000

Old 06-05-2021, 06:18 PM

Greenfield is the foremost expert of his guitars.

Ask him.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

I would just tell him to build whatever he thinks would sound awesome. Up to him.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop