The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-28-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
Back to our chatter about an affinity between this guitar and my Taran that arrived at my home last week... I certainly hope there is one because mine is simply one of the finest sounding and playing guitars I've ever had in my lap, and there have been many. It's a wonderful instrument. It's exceeded my lofty expectations.

I'm going to hype you up even more. Sir, you are in for the treat of a lifetime. Rory is producing incredible guitars right now. Our respective guitars will have their differences in materials, and he built mine for my specific fingerstyle-only needs, so it's a very precise and unforgiving in the wrong hands. I will assume that he's tailoring yours to the way you intend to play it as well. And play it you will. It'll make you better.

It's not just a guitar that's being built here. Rory is creating for you a source of joy-on-tap, an instant smile every time you give it a strum or admire its beauty. I am incredibly excited for you!
I was of the opinion that I couldn't get more excited...you may have challenged that idea! I'm also incredibly pleased for you that you're getting so much enjoyment out of your new guitar. I love everything you just said.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:37 AM

Default Necks installment...

As things get closer and closer to something that looks like a guitar, we move onto the neck and attaching it to the body. As with many things, Rory likes to do things a little differently. If you're interesting in the detail behind his neck joint and why he made the choices he did, he has a detailed post on his site https://www.taranguitars.co.uk/blogp...new-neck-joint.

For those of you who aren't, it's a mortise and tenon joint, with a tilted dovetail extension to tie the fingerboard down to the body. The idea being that it provides a solid contact but prevents the fingerboard extension rising off the body over time.

As a piece of woodworking, it's spectacular.

IMG-20210728-WA0001.jpgIMG-20210728-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20210728-WA0009.jpg

To stabilise the neck, I believe that there is a truss rod and two carbon fiber reinforcement rods.

IMG-20210729-WA0001.jpg

And then onto one of my favourite bits where the colour detailing starts to shine out. I love how the colour starts off as a sheet of veneer with flat edges and turns into a lovely flowing curve as the neck takes its shape.

One more thing to note is the shape of Rory's neck which gets thinner towards the body join so that the neck always has a very similar volume in your hand as the fingerboard widens. Makes for a very comfortable neck to play.

IMG_0953.jpegIMG_0962 2.jpeg

IMG_0965 2.jpegIMG_0970 2.jpeg

p.s. for those who hate puns, I'm sorry for the post title. I was trained by my Father and I can't let such an opportunity go by.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

That's stunning work! I love the way he feathers the backplate into the neck!

Also, A+ on the post title.

If anyone has ideas for case storage once your kids' closets and under their beds are full I'm all ears.
Old 08-14-2021, 10:29 PM

The anticipation builds! Just set mine down after a glass of whiskey and three hours of practice. You are going to be very happy with this guitar!
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 08-16-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKeys36 View Post
That's stunning work! I love the way he feathers the backplate into the neck!

Also, A+ on the post title.
Thanks for looking in. There are some lovely subtle details that play off each other when it all comes together in the end. I think Rory has a great eye for design. Talking of which - I hope you're enjoying your Wilborn and Kinnaird guitars. They look like beauties.

Quote:
The anticipation builds! Just set mine down after a glass of whiskey and three hours of practice. You are going to be very happy with this guitar!
I'm delighted you are so happy with yours. Getting to the stage where I can't wait to find out how this one sounds.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Just set mine down after a glass of whiskey and three hours of practice.
NO! NO! NO!

The correct order is practice, THEN whiskey.

Bitter, bitter experience has taught me that's the way to go, and I have the dings to prove it!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 08-20-2021, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
NO! NO! NO!

The correct order is practice, THEN whiskey.

Bitter, bitter experience has taught me that's the way to go, and I have the dings to prove it!

Cheers,
Steve
Surely a Scottish guitar requires a decent Scotch Whisky ;-)
Old 08-26-2021, 11:34 AM

Saw this on the bench yesterday and is looking rather nice!
Old 08-26-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCousins View Post
Saw this on the bench yesterday and is looking rather nice!
That's what I like to hear! Think you've seen a later stage of it than I have now.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:14 AM

Default Woodworking complete

After a well-earned holiday, Rory returned and brought the woodworking to a close. I'm pretty much going to let the pictures do the talking here - I think it's magnificent.

One thing to note is the side dots. I was really keen to get a pink dot in here somewhere reflecting the Taran brand but representing my PhD gown colour, which is a very striking magenta and matches the Taran pink dot perfectly. So my PhD in optical physics is represented by glow-in-the-dark pink dots at the 12th fret. It couldn't be more fitting.

Apparently, the next time I see anything will be when I open the case.

IMG_1167 2.jpeg IMG_1166.jpeg

IMG_1168 2.jpeg IMG_1105.jpeg

IMG_1170.jpeg IMG_1172 2.jpeg

IMG_1175.jpeg
Old 09-06-2021, 07:22 AM

Looking fantastic... That really is some special old school stunning Indian rosewood. I have seen it in the flesh and it truly is remarkable
Old 09-07-2021, 02:13 PM

Good call on the side dots. For you and anyone else considering a build with Rory, when playing in low light I do find his (assumingely) standard dots a bit more difficult to pick up compared to more common pearlescent dots on my other instruments. I'd think the glow would help with that. Just an observation, and one that I can live with.

Your guitar looks great!
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 09-07-2021, 05:04 PM

Tony McManus just played my Taran during his concert and she sounded like a champ. He really liked it, he had many guitars to chose from to play.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCousins View Post
Looking fantastic... That really is some special old school stunning Indian rosewood. I have seen it in the flesh and it truly is remarkable
Thanks again for the kind words. I'm no expert on wood or the quality, but I know that Rory's obsessed with the stuff and he was raving about the quality of it. I just think it's really beautiful.

Quote:
Good call on the side dots. For you and anyone else considering a build with Rory, when playing in low light I do find his (assumingely) standard dots a bit more difficult to pick up compared to more common pearlescent dots on my other instruments. I'd think the glow would help with that. Just an observation, and one that I can live with.

Your guitar looks great!
I've only got glow in the dark at 12th at the end because I don't really play in low light. I think we spent more time discussing fret markers, end pins, pickups and pick-guards than we did selecting shape, woods, and ergonomic factors. It was like the big decisions were obvious and the small details really hard to work out. Happy with how it's turning out though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Tony McManus just played my Taran during his concert and she sounded like a champ. He really liked it, he had many guitars to chose from to play.
Thanks for dropping by given all you've had on your plate. I've been watching the pictures come in with a deal of jealousy. It looked like an incredible weekend. Congratulations.

I think the fact that Tony McManus picked the Taran as one of the guitars to play says a great deal because there were many wonderful guitars to choose from. However, having played a near replica of your guitar, I can completely understand it. It was pretty much perfect to my ears. There's still a part of me wonders if I'm making a mistake in not having a copy made - but then there's the other part that says that I'd happily have walked away with half a dozen of Rory's guitars over the past two years and there's really no wrong answer!
Old 09-10-2021, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Wonderful story Martin. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Perhaps your 5 year old will build you a guitar for retirement! I hope you enjoy that beautiful guitar for a lifetime.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop