The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-24-2016, 09:05 AM

Sounds like a plan! Thanks Chris!

I am planning on having a beater with me, as this Casper isn't going to the beach.... My dad is going to try to get his 40+ year old cheap classical fixed- the tuners are frozen, among other problems. This is the guitar I turned into a beater- using a pick on it (badly) when I was 10. I did buy him a nice classical a few years ago when he decided to pick the guitar up again. If the old guitar is not rescuable, I'm planning on bringing a beach guitar with me. I'll be at several cottages while I'm there (it's Michigan in the summer!)- beach guitars are essential.

I'm looking forward to this trip! I should be picking up this Casper right about a month from now.....
Old 06-19-2016, 05:40 PM

Default Glamour Shots! NGD is Friday!!!!

Hello AGF friends-

Very early tomorrow morning, Kira (the Golden Retriever) and I are setting out on our cross country trip to pick up this guitar! In preparation for my NGD, Ken sent final glamour shots. He says the guitar is opening up nicely and has good bass and a full sound for its age. I'm so excited to see it in person and to play it! Kira and I should arrive in Michigan on Thursday and we're planning on picking up the guitar on Friday.

Thank you for journeying with us these past months, and for your support of Ken and his talents and craftsmanship. He really has put his heart and soul and skill into this instrument and I'm very grateful! It's been a wonderful ride! And it was made more wonderful and rich because you joined us.

My best to you-

beth

Old 06-19-2016, 07:51 PM

Beautiful Beth, stunning, Drive carefully!!!!
Old 06-19-2016, 08:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Beth...this has been a fun journey. Thank you for sharing it with us. Drive safely, and enjoy your beautiful new guitar.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-20-2016, 09:42 AM

Yep, can't believe I have to give this baby up this week. I don't typically get to spend this much time with a new guitar before it goes out, and I have really enjoyed hearing this one find its voice. I look forward to seeing Beth and hearing her play it the first time. Should be fun.

Safe travels, Beth! See you Friday!

Ken
Old 06-20-2016, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Always a cool experience to pick up a custom guitar in person. This has been an awesome build to follow--hope we see more of your stuff here, Ken!

Congrats, Beth--enjoy!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 06-20-2016, 10:42 AM

Beth and Ken, congratulations! It does look beautiful! Beth, don't let the excitement give you lead-foot!
Old 06-22-2016, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I just stumbled onto this thread this morning and WOW! What fun that Beth will get her guitar this week. I look forward to hearing about it. Really nice work.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-22-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Always a cool experience to pick up a custom guitar in person. This has been an awesome build to follow--hope we see more of your stuff here, Ken!

Congrats, Beth--enjoy!
Thanks Louie, Nemoman, and Jayne.

Nemoman, I'll typically only log my builds here when customers request it. Not sure when that will happen again, but I'm sure you will see another guitar one day.

Ken
Old 06-23-2016, 04:12 PM

Stunning!! Ken you've done an incredible job on this one!!!
Old 06-24-2016, 07:27 PM

Thanks Rod! Glad you like how it turned out.

Beth came by this evening to pick up her guitar. I think she liked it! Enjoy it, Beth. It was an honor to build it for you!
Old 06-24-2016, 09:28 PM

Now that looks like one HAPPY CUSTOMER. Congrats all around. Still love those inlays!!!!
Old 06-24-2016, 10:12 PM

Default Meeting my new guitar!

Thank you Louie, Nemoman, Jayne, Rod, Tom and all of you who have been so supportive on this thread! This was such a special day. I felt like I've been falling in love with this instrument for months now, and still when Ken opened the case, I was overwhelmed with its beauty and its presence. My friend who is visiting from Boston said "it's magical!" and she's right- it is. The outstanding level of detail and beauty of the guitar has been clear in the pictures, but seeing it in person takes it to another level.

I've played this guitar for a while tonight, and am loving what it is able to do. The tone is lush and full already- what I was hoping for when first dreaming of this instrument. It can handle heavy strumming, but also is responsive to fingerpicking. Because I plan to use this to accompany a small contemplative church service, I was hoping for an instrument that could be versatile and sound wonderful when strummed with a pick but also have enough volume and tone to sound great when played finger style. This guitar fits that well- and it will be more than loud enough when I need it to be (we don't use any amplification for the service). This guitar is also very balanced and resonant with good sustain. And it's so comfortable to play. The wedge is not that visibly noticeable, but it makes a difference- the guitar feels smaller than it is and it's great to get that kind of sound out of such a comfortable instrument. I'm also loving the 25" scale, the size and shape of the neck and the 13 fret option we went with. It's so cool to have the guitar be structured with the details that help me play better- that was the most striking thing about playing it. As I played it tonight, it already helped me play better. My dad hasn't played it yet, but I played it for them and then they sang along as I played. We did a few hymns and then Blowing in the Wind.

So yes, Ken's right- I'm floating tonight. Thank you Ken for building such a gorgeous instrument that fits my soul so well! I'm honored to play it-

beth
Old 06-28-2016, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
Thank you Louie, Nemoman, Jayne, Rod, Tom and all of you who have been so supportive on this thread! This was such a special day. I felt like I've been falling in love with this instrument for months now, and still when Ken opened the case, I was overwhelmed with its beauty and its presence. My friend who is visiting from Boston said "it's magical!" and she's right- it is. The outstanding level of detail and beauty of the guitar has been clear in the pictures, but seeing it in person takes it to another level.

I've played this guitar for a while tonight, and am loving what it is able to do. The tone is lush and full already- what I was hoping for when first dreaming of this instrument. It can handle heavy strumming, but also is responsive to fingerpicking. Because I plan to use this to accompany a small contemplative church service, I was hoping for an instrument that could be versatile and sound wonderful when strummed with a pick but also have enough volume and tone to sound great when played finger style. This guitar fits that well- and it will be more than loud enough when I need it to be (we don't use any amplification for the service). This guitar is also very balanced and resonant with good sustain. And it's so comfortable to play. The wedge is not that visibly noticeable, but it makes a difference- the guitar feels smaller than it is and it's great to get that kind of sound out of such a comfortable instrument. I'm also loving the 25" scale, the size and shape of the neck and the 13 fret option we went with. It's so cool to have the guitar be structured with the details that help me play better- that was the most striking thing about playing it. As I played it tonight, it already helped me play better. My dad hasn't played it yet, but I played it for them and then they sang along as I played. We did a few hymns and then Blowing in the Wind.

So yes, Ken's right- I'm floating tonight. Thank you Ken for building such a gorgeous instrument that fits my soul so well! I'm honored to play it-

beth
The picture that Ken posted of you with the guitar says it all - sheer beauty and joy. Thanks for posting firsthand about your experience. I am so happy for you. Brings back memories from when Kathy Wingert delivered my custom build to me a dozen or so years ago. I will always remember that feeling and you will receive so much enjoyment from your instrument over the years. When a guitar is built with this much care and experience - it only gets better and better.

Congratulations and happy floating!

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-28-2016, 11:08 AM

Nice! I like happy endings and new beginnings. Cheers!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
casper guitar, custom acoustic, grand concert, manzer wedge