The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-26-2009, 10:19 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thumbs up Healdsburg find #1 - John How 'Coyote'

This year was my first year to attend Healdsburg, and it was a wonderful show. I had a great time meeting and talking with all the luthiers, seeing the demonstrations and concerts, meeting with our sponsors, meeting members of the AGF, etc. Many great memories! ....And a few nice guitars came home with me, too. On with the show...

First up is a John How Custom x-braced concert guitar. John began this guitar back in March as indicated on his blog. This guitar has a Zebrawood body with yellowheart and ebony trim. It also has a nicely bound soundport on the side.

John likes to build these great little Stella concert - style guitars, that sound much bigger than they look. The concert size body is tiny and easy to forget you're holding it, when really get into what you're playing.

The headstock first attracted me to this guitar

Yellowheart buttons

Stunning Zebrawood body. John included a very nice Canyon Creek case with this guitar:

Sound port

Bearclaw Sitka Spruce Top, and John's signature bridge

Yellowheart and ebony purfling

The Coyote is fitting. This little guitar howls through the mix in a jam session with much larger guitars. It loves fingerstyle but will even take a heavy pick. Fun and extremely comfortable, this little guitar has a lot of character and sings its little heart out every time I pick it up.

Take a moment to check out some of the sound bytes and video of John's guitars in action:
http://johnhowguitars.com/reviews.html

JR
Old 08-26-2009, 10:24 PM

WOW! It actually made me shiver a little bit.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:07 AM

JR, It was GREAT to meet you at Healdsburg! What a great find! John's area was pretty busy the couple of times I went by, and I was hoping to get back when it was a little more quiet and, unfortunately, didn't make it. But, your guitar looks awesome. I spent some time on John's website, and I think he has some great guitars. Would love to hear an audio post or two of yours. Happy playing!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:14 AM
happiness

Absolutely stunning, even the case looks wonderful!

Fliss
Old 08-27-2009, 04:03 AM
Charter Member

Wow. Wow.

I have one of John's Ladder Braced Concert, it's my favorite guitar. And I want another one.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Hi JR...
You sure found some interesting instruments at Healdsburg. Thanks for posting reviews and links, and if you ever get a link on the Gitbanjo - it would be fun to see more of his work as well.

It was great meeting you at the McKnight gathering on Saturday, and playing some music with you.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Great guitar. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:29 AM

Location: Boney Mountain, just up Sycamore Canyon From Malibu

JR - Nice catch! That is a very sweet looking and sounding little guitar, really unique. Enjoy her!
Baranik CX Mad Rose/Western Red Cedar
Old 08-27-2009, 08:30 AM

John How is, to my eyes, one of the most visually pleasing builders working today. I'm usually not one for much ornamentation on guitars, but that second picture is absolutely stunning.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:30 AM

Default Great guitar !!

JR.....you got a steal... I don't know what John was asking for that particular guit, but I heard that Coyote howl when I was buying my Ladder Braced Concert. It sounded so good.

I am sure John could be selling his guitars for $2K to $4K more than what he sells them for now. He is a little underpriced in my opinion...but don't tell him until we all have a couple of his guitars sitting in stands at home !!

John How LBC - Gibson CJ-165 - Martin 000-15S
Martin 000-28EC - Martin Ditson 111 - Washburn R316SWKK
Old 08-27-2009, 12:21 PM

J.R. .....congratulations, my friend Stephen got one of the others. I played yours and it is a piece of work!!!! Great guitar AND a real beauty sound and looks wise......Enjoy the heck out of that one!!
Old 08-27-2009, 05:55 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thumbs up

Thanks, everyone! This guitar has become my daily favorite. Now I want one of his ladder-braced models!

JR
Old 08-27-2009, 06:20 PM

Thanks for posting the nice pics JR and thanks for making my show a success. I checked out your other banjo-git too, That is very cool. I've been thinking about doing some kinda six-string banjo as well. I have an old 4 stringer that is missing a lot of part so I may just turn it into something like that one of these days.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:44 PM
The Foreigner

What a stunner!

Congrats on the new guitar, J.R.! No way I'd be able to afford something like that, but it would be nice to play one of John's "Roots" models some day
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 08-27-2009, 07:07 PM

What a sound...mojo with sophistication! I loved the sound, must be a joy to play and hear live.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop