The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-05-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Yes, I have found that some guitars are totally unsuitably for my physically.

History. On January 1st 1983, I awoke in screaming pain.
Every single joint was virtually locked and any attempt at movement was literally, agonising. Also my lymph glands had swollen to the size of tennis balls in some cases.

After two weeks in hospital and loads of tests, with lots of consultants scratching their heads, they diagnosed Lymphatic Sarcoidosis.

That was the end of my musical activities for ten years, and pretty much crippled my dayjob/career.

Since then, I have recovered and work hard to keep my joints moving -working out, gardening etc., but I live with consistent joint pain.

In 1996, three years after I'd started playing again, I foolishly swapped my old D35 for a J-40 which had a really narrow rhythm neck and low profile.

Slowly I discovered the merits of the original Martin neck shapes -the ones they made for nearly a century on the 12 fret designs.

Now I know exactly what my specs must be -and whilst there is a certain amount of wiggle room itit is essentially 1 & 13/16" nut, " & 3/8" string spacing, short or standard scale, and ideally deep C profile although soft modified V can also work.

Since I lost so much weight during cancer treatment in 2017, I found that my fingers got thinner like the rest of me and I can use my Waterloo WL12 which has a 1 & 3/4" nut 24.75" scale to a 2 & 3/8" string spacing, but only just.

Of my purchases since 2010 only 3 of 11 purchases were made with my seeing the instrument first.

I knew exactly what I was getting from my online purchases from both the UK, EU and USA.

It is best to know exactly what you want of an instrument.

Your playing makes the tonal quality.
Which of your guitars have the 1-13/16” nut and 1-3/8” spacing if you don’t mind me asking?
Old 08-05-2021, 02:00 PM

I have my preferences on acoustic but I can adapt quickly. I do find that trying to flatpick on a 1 7/8" neck is challenging though and not something I'd want to do.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

What it took this idiot five decades to realize: Take $2000 and find yourself the perfect guitar. Play it for two years and reassess your playing.

Or: Take $2000. Find a talented teacher. Work your butt off until your $2000 is spent.

Then evaluate which has made you happier.

There are so many courses online, and there are so many talented pros out there giving zoom lessons. There is no excuse anymore. So you live in the middle of nowhere. You can take lessons from a Nashville studio pro. You just have to cut half your online time and go to work instead.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion