The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc3 View Post
my favorite strings on smaller bodies by FAR is Newtone Double Wound
Just ordered a set to try.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

I have tried both. I definitely like the lower tension better than the medium. The medium felt thicker than other medium sets I have used. But I really liked the lights on 000 and smaller guitars. Now I have gone back to Martin 7100's. I just seem to always go back to them but it is fun trying different strings. Sometimes it makes a guitar sound completely different. A NGD for 12 bucks!
Old 10-25-2016, 04:36 PM

Low Tension Parabolic's on my Martin 00042, and the Medium Tension's on my Guild Orpheum Slope.

Got to say, they're the best strings i've found so far for both. Pricey, but they last well and seem to hold their tone.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:41 PM

Bought a set of mediums and a set of lights in Santa Cruz earlier this year while there on vacation. Put the mediums on my om28v, and the low tensions on my PJ. Love the feel and the sound. Assuming they last, I will be very tempted to go with them despite the cost. Love the sound of the strings on those guitars and want to try them on my other two.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 10-25-2016, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff2 View Post
Bought a set of mediums and a set of lights in Santa Cruz earlier this year while there on vacation. Put the mediums on my om28v, and the low tensions on my PJ. Love the feel and the sound. Assuming they last, I will be very tempted to go with them despite the cost. Love the sound of the strings on those guitars and want to try them on my other two.

Jeff
Mine should be here in a day or two. If I like them and they last 2 months then the price isn't that big of a deal. I'd do that subscription thing and get the free shipping.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:41 PM

I just tried these on a D35E 50th last night and first impression was fantastic. Guitar sounds amazing with Martin Lifespan PB mediums, but have been planning on selling it as I have a J-45 that I like slightly better for my purposes. Not so sure any more. Lifespans don't hurt my fingers but are a tad stiff for my liking. SC are much more flexible and have all the tone (perhaps not quite the volume but guitar is PLENTY loud for playing solo inside). Also seem a lot faster and Lifespans are the only other coated string I like. Time will tell if it's partly 'different' rather than better with the SCs, but I loved them last night
Old 07-01-2018, 04:49 PM

Smile tension

replying to your post I have a request. When you use Santa Cruz low tension parabolic strings are they truly low tension. Meaning compared to a set of standard 10's of any make most are 125 total Lbs of string tension.
I currently use a variety of strings but for a guitar with a 25 1/2" scale I prefer Newtone Heritage Series 10's for their easy gentle touch while barre chording and general rhythm play. Noticeably also less effort for lead guitar.
Sadly Newtone Heritage Strings don't seem to last and I cannot drop tune or use the same string set for occasional Alternate Tuning like open D or G without a complete string change. It could be the round core on their wound sets making it impossible to reset the strings to standard tuning(they become dull or flat sounding.
As for short scale 24 3/4" guitars much higher tension sets are needed as the low tension Newtone Heritage 10's buzz due to lack of sufficient tension and general sloppy loose feel.
My general rule is 12"s or 13's lights for 24 3/4" scale and 10's or 11's for standard 25 1/2" scale.
Any helpful input would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-01-2018, 05:03 PM

Just put them on my Avalon. Really nice sound. Feel a bit strange and I am getting a good deal of string squeak. Remains to be seen if the last long enough to justify the price.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhunn View Post
Just put them on my Avalon. Really nice sound. Feel a bit strange and I am getting a good deal of string squeak. Remains to be seen if the last long enough to justify the price.
I've had them on my rosewood jumbo for 3 weeks, nice sound and easy to play but I'm experiencing string squeak too.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-01-2018, 05:16 PM

I literally just put a set of Straight up Strings on my D55 for the first time about 10 minutes ago. I think they are designed by the same inventor and are essentially the same.

Don't quite know how they sound yet as I'm waiting for them to settle in and I'll test them out in a bit.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-01-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goufousdoufous View Post
Yes.They are very nice, exceptional feel and tone, and expensive. They do last a long time.

goufous
Yep, I'd say the same.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:04 PM

I keep them on my D-28. For some reason that I'm not smart enough to figure out, I have a harder time playing that guitar than anything else I own. The action is about where it is on all my others, the neck is almost exactly like the neck on my D-21, but yet I struggle. The SCGC strings sound good on it, last a long time, and seem to me to make it a little easier to play. I use the low tension ones on my OM. I haven't tried them on any other guitars.

Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman, Gibson, Martin
Old 07-01-2018, 09:11 PM

Can someone explain the "tension" thing? If you have say, a Martin "B" string on a guitar, you would have to bring it up to a certain tension to obtain a "B" note. If the tension is less you will not have a "B" note. So if a string is "low" tension of the same diameter, wouldn't you have to bring it up to the same tension to have a "B" note??? Really, I dont get it.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Can someone explain the "tension" thing? If you have say, a Martin "B" string on a guitar, you would have to bring it up to a certain tension to obtain a "B" note. If the tension is less you will not have a "B" note. So if a string is "low" tension of the same diameter, wouldn't you have to bring it up to the same tension to have a "B" note??? Really, I dont get it.
That's actually a good question, but it's not just the same diameter, it needs to be the same mass per unit length. So, it could be a different mass for the string.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-01-2018, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I've had them on my rosewood jumbo for 3 weeks, nice sound and easy to play but I'm experiencing string squeak too.
I had two sets on my J-45 last year and didn't notice a lot of squeak, but sometimes I just block that out anyway because to me its part of playing.

I remember years ago I bought a set of Alchemy Gold Bronze. What noise. Finally I couldn't stand it so I took them off after only a week.

Martin's Flexible Cores have a similar feel to the SC low tension strings btw.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion