The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-21-2020, 05:38 PM

A strong contender for a cheaper alternative to a Rickenbacker 12 string is an Italia Rimini 12. See these very good demos here:

I haven't played one but I have my eye on them myself and the quality is supposed to be really good. They have parts and pickups by Trevor Wilkinson and these are very high quality (I have these on my rather splendid Fret-King bass, another Wilkinson associated company).

I've had two Rickenbacker 12 strings in my time (I know, I know, why did I sell them?) and the Rimini sounds like the nearest to me. Good intonation which is essential, but note that the string pairing is standard rather than the Ricky which has the unique swapping over of the wound strings and the octave strings.

Last edited by KCharlesD; 11-21-2020 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Missing word!
Old 11-21-2020, 06:35 PM

Anyone here who has used the Janglebox effects pedal? I've only used it on a 6-string Tele, so dont know what a 12 would sound like. There website has some demos.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:51 PM

Before you invest in another guitar, I'd recommend you try a MOSAIC 12 string pedal.

I owned and played a 1966 Fireglo Ricky 360-12 for many years. After selling it, I stuck with acoustic 12 strings. Then, I discovered this pedal!

I won't be parting with my MOSAIC. Works great with 6 string electric and acoustic guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOtlL1ZkTgg
Old 11-21-2020, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
- and, if you've ever had the pleasure of playing one through an AC30, worth every penny...

Today's bit of Gretsch apocryphal lore: The prototype Gretsch 6076 12-string hollowbody was produced in late-1964/early-1965, on a 17" Viking full-hollowbody platform, and said to have been initially offered to George Harrison (who turned it down) as a potential endorsement model; although there is little concrete evidence six decades on, the presence of the Rick-style triangle inlays on a familiar-feeling design (along with the concurrent production of the cats' eye 6117 - which also combined Rick and Gretsch features, and which too was likely conceived by Gretsch as a Beatles endorsement model) would tend to lend some credence to the story. It eventually found its way into the hands of Mike Nesmith (with whom it would be forever associated) sometime in mid/late 1966, and while a rare bird in any form the 17" blonde (they were also available in sunburst as the 6075, as well as a slightly less rare 16" version upon which the current FSR model above was based) is the Holy Grail of the lineup. Several iterations would appear during the Fender period - some with the authentic triangle inlays and full-hollow/large f-hole body, some merely as a blonde variation on the then-current Country Gent platform, and the highly-affordable Korean-made FSR...
I have the Gretsch but not the Vox. I generally play it through a PRRI. Very nice and undoubtedly the best electric 12 I've played. But, I have not played the Rick so I can't compare. I did own the Dani and thought it was very nice for the cost.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
Anyone here who has used the Janglebox effects pedal? I've only used it on a 6-string Tele, so dont know what a 12 would sound like. There website has some demos.
I use one I bought nearly a decade ago sometimes. Yes, it gets that McGuinn/Byrds electric 12-string thing with just the Janglebox and a clean amp not pushed too hard. It's not for subtle compression, and like most compressors it will compress background noise/hum from your guitar or anything else in the chain before it, but I think it does what it's sold to do well. The original Byrds recorded compression was created using early stand-alone studio compressors maxed or chained as I've read. I'm not sure what McGuinn used on stage back in the day, though he endorsed the Janglebox in this century. I will use compressor plugin when recording electric 12-string today, sometime chaining more than one, but I keep that Janglebox as it's stage or jam-session ready.

I have a couple of other compressor pedals I use when I'm looking for less striking and distinctive compression.

Expanding on what I said upthread, I also will use the Janglebox with 6 strings sometimes. The higher levels of compression it's targeted to provide make it a great feedback generator. If one wants to do the Jimi Hendrix on stage jamming his Strat up against a Marshall stack kind of thing at more survivable volume levels, the Janglebox level of compression will make that happen.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 11-21-2020 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I have the Gretsch but not the Vox...
Um, you could have - at a $200 discount - and IME the amp is at least as much a determining factor in achieving "that sound" as the guitar:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...itar-combo-amp

I've played the Gretsch and Rick 360/12 through both versions of the AC30, and to my ears the Rick really needs the second 12" speaker to lend depth and body to the tone; conversely (and as you're well aware) the Gretsch doesn't - and while it'll sound absolutely huge through the 2x12", IME the pared-down 1x12" version above gets closer to that classic first-wave British Invasion jangle and chime, more George Harrison than Roger McGuinn. In addition, you're saving nearly 20 pounds over the original - and if you've ever tried to move one (and lived to tell about it ) you'll find the weight difference most welcome...
Old 11-22-2020, 12:04 AM

BTW, I have played many a Rick 12-string guitar, and owned a couple, myself. A '04 660/12, and a '01 730/12L.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

I picked up a Danelectro 59x12 about a month ago. Great little 12 string for the money. However, I still had the itch and found this new 360/12 at a great price. I'll be putting the Dano up for sale.

Old 11-30-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCharlesD View Post
A strong contender for a cheaper alternative to a Rickenbacker 12 string is an Italia Rimini 12 ...
I’ve got three 12-strings already, including a Ric 350V63/12, so I can’t say I really need another one, but those Italia Riminis have intrigued me for years. Everything I’ve heard or read about them seems very positive.

I’m always resistant to buying guitars online, but if I ever run into one in real life, there’s a pretty good chance I’m going to wind up bringing it home.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Before you invest in another guitar, I'd recommend you try a MOSAIC 12 string pedal.

I owned and played a 1966 Fireglo Ricky 360-12 for many years. After selling it, I stuck with acoustic 12 strings. Then, I discovered this pedal!

I won't be parting with my MOSAIC. Works great with 6 string electric and acoustic guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOtlL1ZkTgg
That's a heck of a lot better price tag than a new 12 string electric! Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-03-2020, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Um, you could have - at a $200 discount - and IME the amp is at least as much a determining factor in achieving "that sound" as the guitar:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...itar-combo-amp

I've played the Gretsch and Rick 360/12 through both versions of the AC30, and to my ears the Rick really needs the second 12" speaker to lend depth and body to the tone; conversely (and as you're well aware) the Gretsch doesn't - and while it'll sound absolutely huge through the 2x12", IME the pared-down 1x12" version above gets closer to that classic first-wave British Invasion jangle and chime, more George Harrison than Roger McGuinn. In addition, you're saving nearly 20 pounds over the original - and if you've ever tried to move one (and lived to tell about it ) you'll find the weight difference most welcome...
I ended up buying one of these. It's a big amp! It arrived yesterday but I haven't tried it out yet. I was able to get a floor model for even less. It looks new to me, so we'll see how it sounds.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I ended up buying one of these. It's a big amp! It arrived yesterday but I haven't tried it out yet. I was able to get a floor model for even less. It looks new to me, so we'll see how it sounds.
Compared to the 2x12" original at nearly 75 pounds - or a Fender Twin/Super Reverb at 65 - the 54-pound AC30S1 is a relative lightweight in the big-gig amp world; tonally, if you're looking for the classic Vox Top-Boost chime and clarity with a full-size humbucker guitar (LP/SG/335 et al.), to my ears it's a better match than the 2x12" - and if you're using mini-buckers (Gretsch, Firebird, Johnny Smith/Epiphone, Guild LB-1, Taylor Solidbody, etc.) or P-90/Franz(Guild)/Dynasonic/Jazzmaster-style "fat" single-coils this. is. your. amp. ...

Use it well, often, and (very ) LOUD...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 12-03-2020 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Compared to the 2x12" original at nearly 75 pounds - or a Fender Twin/Super Reverb at 65 - the 54-pound AC30S1 is a relative lightweight in the big-gig amp world; tonally, if you're looking for the classic Vox Top-Boost chime and clarity with a full-size humbucker guitar (LP/SG/335 et al.), to my ears it's a better match than the 2x12" - and if you're using mini-buckers (Gretsch, Firebird, Johnny Smith/Epiphone, Guild LB-1, Taylor Solidbody, etc.) or P-90/Franz(Guild)/Dynasonic/Jazzmaster-style "fat" single-coils this. is. your. amp. ...

Use it well, often, and (very ) LOUD...
Thanks for cluing me in on this combo. Played it some tonight and it sounds much better than the PRRI for the 12 string!20201205_001203.jpg
Old 12-05-2020, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks for cluing me in on this combo. Played it some tonight and it sounds much better than the PRRI for the 12 string! Attachment 47888
Had George Harrison picked up on that Gretsch 12-string in early '65, this shot could have been taken at Abbey Road Studios...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars