The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar

Old 10-12-2020, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Holloway just listed at Elderly....

thought someone may be interested...

https://www.elderly.com/collections/...rp-guitar-2012

Charis SJ Koa/BC Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Webber dreadnought Mahogany/Adi
Cordoba Solista EIR/Euro Spruce

Old 10-13-2020, 09:57 AM

That would be some really nice wall art for me because I could never learn to play it. It is quite striking though.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

That looks awesome. The price is cheap so are they any good as far as sound goes?

Life blooms when exitance is it's own reward
Old 10-16-2020, 01:42 PM

I have the exact same model. Mine was one of the prototypes, as I bought in to the fledgling company's start-up. I believe the price is reflective of the difficulty in selling one of these (I'm surmising), but not commensurate with its sound.

I will not part with mine; the depth of sound just sends me...out there! The sympathetic sound from the bass/drone strings might only be equaled in a baritone. If you rest your chin on the harp arm while playing, the sound envelops your head!
There were a few "mods" to do on the prototypes; particularly the tuners, both sets. As I play 90% of the time in DADGAD, that's where mine stays, taking some stress off of the bridge (mine had to be re-glued--by Elderly in fact!)--but there have been no issues since. There may not be any of the same issues with this 2012 build, though the guitar tuners look original (same as mine), but I can't tell about the bass tuners. Nice piece of mahogany for the back.
Overall, from what I see, it looks like a good deal for somebody to explore this unique guitar-type-multi-string thing!

*I have no affiliation with the seller.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboz View Post
As I play 90% of the time in DADGAD, that's where mine stays...
Nice to see a fellow DADGAD HG player (though calling myself a HG player is not yet entirely accurate!)! I wonder if there are more of "us" out there?

I keep my Timberline T30HGc in DADGAD with subs tuned to "modified Bennett" tuning, that is GABCE (instead of D) G. I installed sharping levers to the subs so I have access to half-step changes in the basses at the flick of a switch. With all of the levers down my bass tuning is actually GABbCEF# but I generally keep the Bb and F# levers up to B and G. I need the levers because I use partial capos that frequently alter keys/modes, eg. a capo on the 4 high strings at the 3rd fret yields an open string tuning of DAFBbCF so being able to get Bb, C and F basses needs to be possible.

I've had the Timberline for just over a year now and have had no problems with it (and it was relatively easy, if a bit anxiety-inducing, to install the sharping levers).

Phil

Emerald: '20 X30 Fan Fret Baritone (648-686mm; CF), '20 X20 Fan Fret (635-660mm; CF; incoming)
Larrivée: '90 J-09 (spruce/rosewood) Lowden: '10 O23c (cedar/Claro walnut)
Rainsong: '19 H-WS1100N2T (CF) Timberline: '19 T30HGc Harp Guitar (mahogany)
Old 10-18-2020, 04:15 PM

Hey Phil!
I too use the Bennett tuning on the subs (but don't have sharping levers), and often capo at the 2nd--but hadn't thought of changing the D to an E. I really need to experiment more with the subs
We're in the same sub category (see what I did there ), but I have gone back to my 6 strings lately and the HG isn't getting enough attention.
I think guru Stephen Bennett uses DADGAD also but haven't looked or listened to him in a while.

Last edited by Naboz; 10-19-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboz View Post
I too use the Bennett tuning on the subs (but don't have sharping levers), and often capo at the 2nd--but hadn't thought of changing the D to an E. I really need to experiment more with the subs
We're in the same sub category (see what I did there ), but I have gone back to my 6 strings lately and the HG isn't getting enough attention.
I think guru Stephen Bennett uses DADGAD also but haven't looked or listened to him in a while.
I can't claim that idea since I got the subs tuning from Frank Doucette (another DADGAD HG player) via Greg Miner's site. It made sense to me not to duplicate the D bass string. With the sharping levers that 2nd sub-bass string also gives me an F for some Dm tunes. I, too, have been spending more time with my 6 string guitars (got an Emerald fan-fret baritone, tuned AEADEA of course, this past summer and have been playing it a lot)...playing HG is HARD!

Phil

Emerald: '20 X30 Fan Fret Baritone (648-686mm; CF), '20 X20 Fan Fret (635-660mm; CF; incoming)
Old 10-24-2020, 01:49 PM

"I, too, have been spending more time with my 6 string guitars (got an Emerald fan-fret baritone, tuned AEADEA of course, this past summer and have been playing it a lot)...playing HG is HARD!" -Philjs

...Like mental gymnastics!
Does that Baritone give you the thunder of the HG?
I played a Bob Brozman/SCGC Baritone at Elderly Instruments; oh my, if the cash had been available Just a box of deep rolling thunder on my lap!
Old 10-26-2020, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
(got an Emerald fan-fret baritone, tuned AEADEA of course, this past summer and have been playing it a lot)

Phil
Phil,
Tell us more about your Emerald. How does the sonic quality compare to wooden guitars?
AEA A840 Ribbon Mic For Sale
Old 10-27-2020, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feste View Post
Phil,
Tell us more about your Emerald. How does the sonic quality compare to wooden guitars?
Short answer: It's fantastic and I won't go back to a wood baritone, James.

Long answer: The Emerald is their X30 jumbo (a BIG body all CF guitar, 17" lower bout and almost 6" deep at end pin) with a 25.5" to 27" fan. The only way I could afford it was to keep it simple: no veneer, no pickup and gig bag only. It sings in A-gad (would be B to B in Standard) and is the first acoustic that I've had that threatens to feed back, it's that resonant.

FYI, my comparator is a fan-fret baritone made for me by local NS luthier Russel Crosby with a 26" to 27.25" fan, redwood/black walnut instrument that I played for 7 years. I kept it tuned to BbFBbEbFBb (half-step up from AEADEA) because that's where it sang. The Crosby, which I sold for more than I paid for it when someone made me an offer that I couldn't refuse, was an impressive instrument but the Emerald swept it off its perch...

...and is so impressive that I now have a DADGAD X20 (essentially a deep-body OM with a 25" to 26" fan, no veneer, no pickup, gig bag only) on order. I don't expect it to replace the Lowden (!) but I am looking forward, eagerly, to receiving it.

Phil

PS: I see a Synergy HG in my future...

Old 10-30-2020, 01:52 PM

"...(a BIG body all CF guitar, 17" lower bout and almost 6" deep at end pin)..."

Six inches deep , A-gad sounds about right for that beast! Nice.
Are your Nova Scotian Winters playing into that CF roll-over? Or is the sound just that compelling? (Both?)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar