The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-08-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
The sound in the demo video is very mediocre. All those "wow"s don't help either.

I’ll have to agree.. by comparison the tonedexter in Doug’s video sounds way better.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

I see they've got an FX loop. I wonder how far off it would be to simply add a couple of basic acoustic guitar effects (chorus, delay, reverb).
Old 01-08-2020, 08:13 AM

The second guitarist (Charlie Worsham) does get a much more natural tone than the first guitarist in the video. It's not knock out impressive but one thing I have found with Lr Baggs is that whenever they do a pre-NAMM demo video, it never seems to impress. I think the idea is very clever, I just hope it's a bit more natural than what I am hearing so far. The first guitar especially sounds like a UST without any imaging.

One thing I do really like is the fact that this looks like an effects pedal in that there's no eq and that there are presets. That means I could capture each instrument, put this first in the chain but then use my actual preamp/DI's still.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
The second guitarist (Charlie Worsham) does get a much more natural tone than the first guitarist in the video. It's not knock out impressive but one thing I have found with Lr Baggs is that whenever they do a pre-NAMM demo video, it never seems to impress. I think the idea is very clever, I just hope it's a bit more natural than what I am hearing so far. The first guitar especially sounds like a UST without any imaging.

One thing I do really like is the fact that this looks like an effects pedal in that there's no eq and that there are presets. That means I could capture each instrument, put this first in the chain but then use my actual preamp/DI's still.
Would that be the correct sequence? Or could you use the preamp first and then send the output to this box??
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 01-08-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I am pretty sure the first player is just using the raw pickup.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I am pretty sure the first player is just using the raw pickup.
For sure. That's kind of what I meant by the pre-NAMM videos often being a disappointment. I remember when they released the Session di, the clip was nothing special and then after NAMM, the videos got much better. Odd tactic though as I would use the two minutes to really showcase the natural tones. I am excited for this though. I think with this, the Tonedexter and Aura, it really makes me want to just stick with a UST in most guitars or even the K&K.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:

There is programmable parametric EQ in the app which you download onto your phone. I presume that you apply that EQ to the Voiceprint and its stored in the Soundscape pedal. Its true that you might want some EQ device in the signal chain for "quick and dirty" EQ alterations at the gig.

A feature which I know you'll approve of is that you can use the Voice knob to dial in as much as desired, or as little as desired, of the Voiceprint with the dry pickup signal.

There's also an interesting anti-feedback feature which takes advantage of the analysis of your guitar's tone to identify problem frequencies and reduce their levels as the feedback knob is cranked clockwise. (I'm reminded of the bass reduction control on the new Yamaha system.)

BTW, if this Soundscape pedal will actually make the Baggs LB6 sound less quacky (when strummed) and more like a miked guitar, I expect a resurgence of that pickup's popularity. It already has the good qualities of very even string balance and high resistance to feedback.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:17 AM

All I can say is "wow"

Did they pay that kid $$$ per "wow"?
Old 01-08-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
All I can say is "wow"

Did they pay that kid $$$ per "wow"?
Kid? Lloyd was worse haha. The two players in this video always audition Baggs products though. They are pretty much the same in each one!
Old 01-08-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Would that be the correct sequence? Or could you use the preamp first and then send the output to this box??
Well my preamp has a DI out which I don't believe this does. I would be inclined to put it first as it's just generating the more natural tone and then I can shape it next in the chain with my Felix.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
BTW, if this Soundscape pedal will actually make the Baggs LB6 sound less quacky (when strummed) and more like a miked guitar, I expect a resurgence of that pickup's popularity. It already has the good qualities of very even string balance and high resistance to feedback.
I was thinking the same. The LB6 is second only to the K&K in regards to simple passive piezos that are inexpensive and sound great. However, it isn’t a strumming pickup but if an IR fixes that, why bother with an Anthem?
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-08-2020, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
I was thinking the same. The LB6 is second only to the K&K in regards to simple passive piezos that are inexpensive and sound great. However, it isn’t a strumming pickup but if an IR fixes that, why bother with an Anthem?
Does the LB6 pick up body sounds?
Old 01-08-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Does the LB6 pick up body sounds?
Minimal, if any. It’s, essentially, a ceramic UST bonded to a saddle. So, it has better tone, more output, and less quack than a standard passive UST but it isn’t really best for the Richie Havens or Michael Hedges of the world. That’s said, Phil Keaggy uses his in a Baggs Dual Source setup and the mic captures his percussion. James Taylor has long used one and it definitely works exceptionally for delicate fingerstyle.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-08-2020, 02:03 PM

Does anyone know if you can download impulses to this? I have a Godin Multiac with an LB6 pickup, but that wouldn't be much of an acoustic source for programming an impulse.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

They just posted a training tutorial to their channel. It’s not as easy as Tone Dexter (but it’s also not hard).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification