The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-10-2020, 07:08 AM

wups yes 5422
Old 01-12-2020, 06:50 AM

Electromatic pups are not nearly as good as those used on Japanese series. They are OK but lose a lot of the Gretsch chime. And many Electromatics use a quick connect system...not sure what is the right name... but if you want to change them you have to rip out the whole wiring system unless you know how to wire the pup for quick connect, I do not know how.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Electromatic pups are not nearly as good as those used on Japanese series. They are OK but lose a lot of the Gretsch chime...
Speaking as a lifetime owner - as an ex-Brooklyn boy Gretsch was our hometown brand, my grandparents lived two blocks from the old 60 Broadway plant, I've played quite literally several hundred Gretsch instruments in my lifetime, and I presently have three in my stable (the 6117 Double Annie I bought new in May 1964, a 3-PU 5622 E-matic, and a MIJ 6136DC White Falcon) - I respectfully disagree with the quantitative nature of the evaluation when it comes to the Korean Filter'tron/Super Hi-lo'Tron pickups (the Chinese Broad-trons are another story ); FWIW I've A/B'd my (patent Filter-tron reissue) Falcon against my (Super Hi-lo) 5622, through several different amps, and while the patent FT has an almost Fender-like edge (especially with the new component values, the 3-way tone switch in particular - and I'm seriously considering having my Falcon modded back to '63 Brooklyn specs), there's no possible way you're going to mistake the Super Hi-lo for anything but a Gretsch pickup - the characteristic "Great Gretsch Sound" is all there, with a unique mix of late-Brooklyn/early-Baldwin upper-mid/treble response that IME makes it more versatile than either the Double Annie or the Falcon. FYI even within the original Filter'tron family there were at least four distinct iterations (PAF. patent#, Baldwin, and Kustom, with the inevitable production-line variations within each) so for a serious Gretsch aficionado it's much the equivalent of the broad year-specific variation in Strat PU's, and savvy players of both instruments exhibit definite preferences; BTW my 5622 has been my go-to gigging guitar for the last three years: gotten lots of compliments from fellow musicians and audience alike, and I have no problem credibly covering just about any post-1958 Gretsch tonality (as well as a few instrument-specific tones of my own) with the appropriate amp/EQ setup...
Old 01-13-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I bought a white one (G5420TG) a few months ago, and I love it. It's my first electric guitar.

There is a downside, however. I now get more compliments on my guitar than on my singing or playing!
How does your Gretsch sound through the Bugera amp.?? I have it on my radar.

I'm loving my 5420. I wish I could rockabilly with it. To look at the guitar it screams old time rocknroll .... With the hardware it's an eye full and it could easily be referred to as.... an instrument. These guitars are really something special.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
How does your Gretsch sound through the Bugera amp.?? I have it on my radar..
It sounds so good that I haul it to open mics instead of my small, light, Yamaha THR10C. I did replace the stock tubes with JJ tubes, however.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-13-2020, 05:32 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
It sounds so good that I haul it to open mics instead of my small, light, Yamaha THR10C. I did replace the stock tubes with JJ tubes, however.
Oh wow ...... That says a lot.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:15 PM

Can anyone tell me if the 5420 and the 5422, Gretsch guitars, share the same body depth.??
Old 01-14-2020, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
Can anyone tell me if the 5420 and the 5422, Gretsch guitars, share the same body depth.??

They do not. The 5420 isn’t as thin as the 5622
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 01-15-2020, 12:01 AM

Tony.... Thanks. That's what I thought. I really have no complaints with the larger 5420 but I sometimes wonder if I should have got the 5422. No biggie.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Speaking as a lifetime owner - as an ex-Brooklyn boy Gretsch was our hometown brand, my grandparents lived two blocks from the old 60 Broadway plant, I've played quite literally several hundred Gretsch instruments in my lifetime, and I presently have three in my stable (the 6117 Double Annie I bought new in May 1964, a 3-PU 5622 E-matic, and a MIJ 6136DC White Falcon) - I respectfully disagree with the quantitative nature of the evaluation when it comes to the Korean Filter'tron/Super Hi-lo'Tron pickups (the Chinese Broad-trons are another story ); FWIW I've A/B'd my (patent Filter-tron reissue) Falcon against my (Super Hi-lo) 5622, through several different amps, and while the patent FT has an almost Fender-like edge (especially with the new component values, the 3-way tone switch in particular - and I'm seriously considering having my Falcon modded back to '63 Brooklyn specs), there's no possible way you're going to mistake the Super Hi-lo for anything but a Gretsch pickup - the characteristic "Great Gretsch Sound" is all there, with a unique mix of late-Brooklyn/early-Baldwin upper-mid/treble response that IME makes it more versatile than either the Double Annie or the Falcon. FYI even within the original Filter'tron family there were at least four distinct iterations (PAF. patent#, Baldwin, and Kustom, with the inevitable production-line variations within each) so for a serious Gretsch aficionado it's much the equivalent of the broad year-specific variation in Strat PU's, and savvy players of both instruments exhibit definite preferences; BTW my 5622 has been my go-to gigging guitar for the last three years: gotten lots of compliments from fellow musicians and audience alike, and I have no problem credibly covering just about any post-1958 Gretsch tonality (as well as a few instrument-specific tones of my own) with the appropriate amp/EQ setup...
So Am I correct in understanding that all the Electromatic series are and will, no longer be made in Korea? And thus would one have to find a store with New Old Stock left over to get one ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-15-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
They do not. The 5420 isn’t as thin as the 5622
According to some published specs, the 5420 is 2.75" vs 5422 is 2.25".
Old 01-15-2020, 12:46 PM

Looking at the "new" pages on Gretsch site, it looks like the only Electromatics still branded "MIK" are the limited editions. And some electomatic models that were produced in Korea and the new baritone series are marked MIC.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
...Am I correct in understanding that all the Electromatic series are and will no longer be made in Korea? And thus would one have to find a store with New Old Stock left over to get one?
Unfortunately, Kev, it does look that way:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realbluesman View Post
Looking at the "new" pages on Gretsch site, it looks like the only Electromatics still branded "MIK" are the limited editions. And some Electromatic models that were produced in Korea and the new baritone series are marked MIC.
FWIW there's about a $1K gap between the top E-Matics and the entry-level MIJ Professional Series guitars - far too large (and at ~$1-2K street far too competitive a price point) for Gretsch to ignore in the long run, as they have to date; personally, I suspect we haven't seen the last of the MIK instruments - I think they're going to let the memory cool for a couple years before re-introducing a Korean-made lineup (I'll give it the working title of "Broadway Series," a tribute to the original 60 Broadway Brooklyn plant address and analogous to Guild's "Newark St." MIK electrics) with a combination of near-doppelgangers of their iconic models (6120, Country Gent, Country Club, White Falcon, Duo-Jet, etc.) and "skunkworks" guitars like the circa-2015 cats'-eye/Super Hi-lo'Tron 5620/5622 and 5448 "Mary Ford" FSR Duo-Jet, intended to go head-to-head with both Eastman and Guild and priced accordingly. In the meantime, if you've got the jones you might want to move while the getting's good...
Old 01-16-2020, 02:42 PM

Another excuse to post a photo of my 3-mo.-old 5422? Youbetcha. Now playing it through a brand-new Orange 60 amp. Lovin' it.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 01-16-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Another excuse to post a photo of my 3-mo.-old 5422? Youbetcha. Now playing it through a brand-new Orange 60 amp. Lovin' it.

Every time someone posts an orange Gretsch, my eyes light up - keep ‘em coming - eye candy material -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars